X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw tension design flaw

I have the Ridgid Bandsaw and I've had to replace the Tensioning screw and nut twice because of the tensioning screw stripping and preventing me from loosening or tightening the blade. I definitely don't overtighten. I was taught that the tension on a bandsaw blade should always be released when not in use. This tendency to strip on the tensioning screw is very irritating. I suspect either a design flaw or a poorly made part. What can Ridgid do about this?

Woo,

Turns out it was some parts out of spec. We have replaced the parts we have in stock with correct, in spec ones.

Jake

Comment

Is that a problem on all 14 bandsaws, I mean should we order a replacement part in anticipation of having this problem?

[ 11-05-2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: hi ho sliver ]
      \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

Originally posted by R Woo:
        I have the Ridgid Bandsaw and I've had to replace the Tensioning screw and nut twice because of the tensioning screw stripping and preventing me from loosening or tightening the blade. I definitely don't overtighten. I was taught that the tension on a bandsaw blade should always be released when not in use. This tendency to strip on the tensioning screw is very irritating. I suspect either a design flaw or a poorly made part. What can Ridgid do about this?

Comment

Sorry, still figuring out how this site works.

I have the same problem on my bandsaw. What's my next step? Is the part covered under warranty? How do I know that the replacement I get is the upgraded part?

Comment

Jam,

Yes that part is covered under warrenty. Simply call 1-800-4RIDGID and they will get a part sent out.

Jake

Comment

How far down should the tension be lowered when the band saw is not in use?

Comment

Turning the tensioning a full 3 or 4 turns will do. I release all the tension on mine. Sometimes my bandsaw doesn't see use for a week or two at a time.

Not releasing tension will flaten and harden the tires, causing tracking problems. Will weaken the blades. Next time you brake a blade, if it did not break at the weld, it's probably from not releasing tension. And will prematurely compress the tensioning spring, causing loss of tension.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X