Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

better batteries for ridgid why not Lithium Ion?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snowsquirrel
    What is that about Milwaukee 18v lithium batteries? I couldn't find mention of them on the milwaukee site, only their v28 stuff. I prefer Makita's approach of using Lithium to cut weight, and sticking to 18v.

Going NiCd to NiMH is possible. There are 'howtos' on how to buy the cells, and install them in casings. But from what I have read on the lithium stuff, this would not be possible. It sounds like there is all kinds of 'smarts' built into both the lithium batteries, and chargers. This also means battery prices will remain high for while.

On the topic of cold weather... you mention that the Lithium is good in cold weather. That is interesting, as supposedly that was one of the lithium cons. Can anyone comment on the diff b/n NiMH and NiCd in cold? I am see-sawing between getting a bosch or a ridgid right now, and bosch use NiMH. Although Makita's 18v Lith at less weight that Ridgid and Bosch's 14.4 is definitely appealing. But still a $100 more, so likely not an option, unless I can sneak it by the wife. :-)

Thanks,

~S
    Bosch is not NiMH. Ridgid just announced their 2.5AH batteries so I doubt you will see Ridgid Li-Ion batteries anytime soon, at least until that push is over and done with. Maybe it'll be Milwaukee: Li-Ion, and Ridgid: Ni-Cd.

Lithium Ion batteries are a little more complicated than Ni-Cd and Ni-MH. No cell swapping or upgrading for a while. I'll stop short of saying never, but not for a long time. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

I think the DeWalt, Bosch and Metabo approach of 36 volt tools will prevail. The world has already acknowledges 18V as the standard (by market share) and if the new batteries have the same weight and more runtime then I'll think you'll see more manufacturer's follow suit. Nice approach from Makita, but I think 36 volt will prevail.

From my other post: Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, and Metabo are all releasing Li-Ion tools. They would be foolish to do this if they did not perform in the cold. So, long way around, they will work just fine in cold weather.
    I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Sparky, I have two 28v Li ion drills and have had them for about 6 or 7 months. They perform very well in the cold weather. I use them as a professional plumber in commercial and industrial applications and around the home for personal projects. I have several 18v tools as well as many, many corded tools. Have used Dewalt, Delta, Bosch and Craftsman, even used a Ryobi once but don't tell anyone . Also have been told by a steel processing companies maintenance superintendent that the Ridgid drills he bought for his crews were inadequate. He used different language, but out of respect to others here I won't use it. There are many posters here who are happy with their Orange.

There are also different chemical make ups in the different Lithium tools by the different makers. The 28v system has the advantages mentioned and weighs the same as the 18v.

The new 18v won't have more power per se but will have the extended run time and weigh almost 25% less. They will also work on the older tools so existing Milwauke owners can upgrade, get less weight and more run time without buying additional tools. And the new soon to be available charging station will have ports for both lithium and nicad. Their "tool talk" web site representitive stated the new radio will run on either NiCad or Lithium and have 50% more boost. (which may not be a good thing when five different trades each have a radio)

Since I have yet to hold another makers new 36 volt tools I cannot say if they are very good or very bad, we just have to wait and see. If they do not weigh a lot more than Milwaukee then they should do very well, but there was a reason the 24v NICads didn't sell well and that was weight.

An extremely important factor for me is that most of my tools are made right here in the USA. Not all but most.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I think at least some bosch tools are NiMH. The www.boschtools.com site is down (again), but here is an example of an nimh bosch: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...lls/d40/sd2625

Comment

I just remembered why my LED light won't work in the morning, It's powered with NiMH and i had to warm them up to see anything. An led light can be powered by an almost dead niccad battery when a xenon bulb won't even glow. I was at first attracted to makita tools because of what i heard about the batteries but i hated the style of the drills, some of which were to small for my hands.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
          X