Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

better batteries for ridgid why not Lithium Ion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better batteries for ridgid why not Lithium Ion?

Other brands have different tools using just one type of battery. Why not make lithium ion batteries that are compatable with the excisting 18v tools? I have only seen a few people that will get the v28 and that was bought with government money / my taxes. It would be great to have a battery that worked with my drill and the charger without buying a new combo pack.
    Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM. Reason: clarification and need responces
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Thats a GOOD idea!! I'd upgrade to Lithium for my 6 18v Ridgid tools.

Comment

Well If not Lithium, PLEASE USE NiMh

Nickel-metal-hydride batteries. Found currently only on the Makita and Panasonic drills, NiMH batteries tend to offer longer run time per charge and no memory, without toxic cadmium, an environmental disposal hazard. Besides eliminating toxic cadmium, which should be discarded at designated collection centers, NiMH cells weigh less than comparable NiCads and outlast them.
      Last edited by Bubahyde; 01-07-2006, 10:48 PM.

Comment

You mean ridgid drills don't come with NiMH batteries!? I thought that was only the low end stuff like ryobi/skil/etc.

~S

Comment

Another manufacturer, one that has already marketed lithium tools for almost a year looked at and test marketed NIMH technology but discarded it after they found that they are horrible cold weather performers and in fact do not outlast NiCad battery packs.

As lithium patent and licensing contracts expire we will see most tool companies offering this technology. i have both Lithium and Nicad. I like them both but the lithium tools are stronger, and last longer by far. the biggest thing about my red lithium is that they offer fade free performance and don't drop off like the NiCad. A big deal when on a large roof or in a confined space, or 1000 feet from the power source.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by snowsquirrel
            You mean ridgid drills don't come with NiMH batteries!? I thought that was only the low end stuff like ryobi/skil/etc.

~S
            As well as: Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi, Porter Cable, very few brands use NiMH.

Comment

Sparky,

I met a stupid electrical apprentice today. Should I get my suit pressed?

Comment

plumber

he didn't have foot in mouth did he?

Comment

No, but it was open all day and he never said anything.

On another note related to your topic check out my post under power tools titled "News just Announced". It pertains exactly to your post.

Comment

I was under the impression that all the upper end tools uses nimh, though this was wrong (see above posts). I was also under the impression that nimh was superior in every way. But it turns out I was wrong. NiCd batters offer almost double the duty cycle of NiMh batteries. This is the best article I have found on the subject: http://blogs.toolbarn.com/mattg/2005...es-primer.html

Hope it helps you, it only made my decision harder. ;-)

~S

Comment

I had the time to look on the Milwaukee site and found the article about the Li ion 18v batteries. That is exactly what ridgid should do for us! I won't buy a totally new set of power tools just because the battery last longer but costs more. Considering I spent a total of $514 for a ridgid combo with 3 batteries a mail in rebate and two batteries on special. Milwaukee although it is cool costs $749 before tax and only has two batteries. On the other hand some people will find it worthwhile since i have heard how some guys have never had to charge a battery all day. But then i haven't charged a battery yet today.

Longer run time is obviously better but how does Li Ion do in the cold?

Comment

Sparky,

It does very, very well in the cold. much better than Nicad or Nimh. And the weight savings is great. Lighter tools means less fatigue at the end of the day.

Comment

So which brand do you have and for how long? What do you use your tools for?

Comment

What is that about Milwaukee 18v lithium batteries? I couldn't find mention of them on the milwaukee site, only their v28 stuff. I prefer Makita's approach of using Lithium to cut weight, and sticking to 18v.

Going NiCd to NiMH is possible. There are 'howtos' on how to buy the cells, and install them in casings. But from what I have read on the lithium stuff, this would not be possible. It sounds like there is all kinds of 'smarts' built into both the lithium batteries, and chargers. This also means battery prices will remain high for while.

On the topic of cold weather... you mention that the Lithium is good in cold weather. That is interesting, as supposedly that was one of the lithium cons. Can anyone comment on the diff b/n NiMH and NiCd in cold? I am see-sawing between getting a bosch or a ridgid right now, and bosch use NiMH. Although Makita's 18v Lith at less weight that Ridgid and Bosch's 14.4 is definitely appealing. But still a $100 more, so likely not an option, unless I can sneak it by the wife. :-)

Thanks,

~S

Comment

Here is the article from their website.....even if i'm not a bitg fan of milwaukee tools...

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...ument&nav2=hdc

Comment

Working...
                              X