X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Angle Grinder

With the plethora of attachments available for the basic Angle Grinder, why is DeWalt the only offering for 18v. Hook & Loop sanding; open cell foam & pile buffing; cutting wheels; wire wheels in Brass/Steel/SS/Aluminum/Plastic; twisted-wire wheels; wire cups; and a vast array of grinding disks.
    3 Lifetime batteries & a Dual Charger were the only swaypoint away from the DeWalt 6 pc combo, to the 5 pc Ridgid combo. Eh, the extra 200 bones may have been a factor as well.

I just don't get the concept of a Powered Caulk gun, much less cordless. I have a cordless caulkgun right next to the cordless crowbar & cordless plunger.

Why not offer An 18v angle grinder? don't that just make sense not having to drag around 500 ft of extension cords!
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

the cordless caulk gun is good for caulking along a long joint at the same speed so you do not have to stop . this will give you a nice even joint with out lumps of extra caulk build up.
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Dewalt is the only one that i know that offers an 18 volt 41/2 inch angle grinder.

Comment

Way back when all you could get were the Makita 7.2 volt cordless, I bought one of those 7.2v angle grinders. Ran around 5,000rpm. It was not able to run long enough to do any useful task. Plus it had almost zero power (torque).
          Right before I returned it, I put it to a task that I figured it could handle - I slapped in a fresh battery and tried to sharpen my carpenter's pencil with it!
          It almost made it too, then the lead broke, and it was not able to do a repeat performance. That was right when I returned it. Found out from the dealer that it had been sold around 4 times already and was always returned for the same reason - no power.

I know batteries have come around the world and then some by now, but a cordless grinder doesn't seem too useful based on the way my experience above was. I kind of think the same thing would apply to the cordless drywall cutout tool and the router. With a high speed tool, you can't gear it down to get power so, you are basically running direct drive.
          Just my $0.02.
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

the dewalt grinder works well . i do not have one but did use one a time or two i will have one some day.
            Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 02-01-2006, 08:25 PM.
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

GIVE ME AN 18V ANGLE GRINDER OR GIVE ME BLACK AND DECKER!!!!!

Maybe if i aske nicely?

Please sir i want an 18v Angle Grinder...
              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Dewalt angle grinder

Why all the frustration about the fact that the only available 18v angle grinder is Yellow?

I happened to get one of those in my multi-tool super-deal at HD, and I haven't used my old one since. It is powerful, the battery outlasts any job I've ever done with it, it is ergonomically one of the best.

You want an 18V angle grinder? Go buy a yellow one!

The tool deal, BTW, was this: New HD store opening, so for opening a new commercial account you got 50% off on any power tool purchase up to a discount of $300. So I went for the $599 Dewalt deal that included a circular saw, angle grinder, "sawzall," hammerdrill, screwgun and their very usefull gooseneck light. Also included was a coupon for any other single tool of your choice, so I went for the nibbler (which is an amazing tool).

Bottom line, I spent $300 for a package that included seven tools, three batteries and a charger. Oh, and a yellow tool bag so big that filed with tools you need a hand truck to move it! Schweeeet.
                Unanswered Questions
                are far less dangerous
                than Unquestioned Answers.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK
                  the cordless caulk gun is good for caulking along a long joint at the same speed so you do not have to stop . this will give you a nice even joint with out lumps of extra caulk build up.
                  I stand corrected. Actually, I watched a guy caulk a new teak deck on 36' sailboat in a day using one. He said it was worth the price even if it fell overboard after he was finished. -Elvin

Comment

18Volt Angle Grinder, 1/2" Impact

I purchased the Rigid 18volt five tool combo last month and I am very pleased. The 1/2" drill felt better than the dewalt and the impact driver is fantastic. If Rigid was to offer a angle grinder comparable to the dewalt I know they would sell plenty. Why doesn't Rigid offer a 1/2 heavy duty impact gun like dewalt? I have air and electric impact guns but it sure would be nice to just slap in a battery and start working, no hoses and no cords.

Comment

Working...
                    X