Drill press depth scale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press depth scale

I would like to see a better depth scale or stop on the drill press. Does anyone know where I could find one for my drill? I am thinking about looking at the scales on the Crapsman drills and having the machine shop at work make something that will work.
    Thanks

Bil
    If it don't look right, buy a new tool to fix it.

Bill,

You didn't mention what drill press you have, but I presume it must be the Ridgid 1550, as long as you're posting here. Are you saying that the provided depth scale isn't accurate or is it that you just don't like it and would prefer the "rod" type?

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Sorry... yes I have the 1550, and I do not like the scale. The numbers are to far away from the indicator for my liking and I feel that the rod type is more easy to use. Still looking for the rod kind to fit on my 1550.
      Bil

Comment

Ya know, it would be so easy to incorporate an IR depth gage into a DP its not funny, even as an add-on as Craftsman offers with their DP Laser Center Marker. In fact, BOTH of them could be built into one device. The IR detector would need a Zero button 'cause every time you change a bit the distance to the table/work will change. But with the zero button, you just chuck up a bit, bring it down so it contacts the top of the wood (or whatever) you are drilling, then press the zero button. Now when you drill the depth counts up the further the bit enters the wood. A Mode button would allow changing from Imperial to Metric units, and also from a Count-Up to a Count-Down mode.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

That sounds like it could work. But.... I think that a laser on any kind of drill has to be the biggest joke of all time! What next? hummm, lets see, how about a laser on a sander.....oh I know...lets stick one on a sawzall! Maybe we could sell a screwdriver with a laser so you can line up on the right screw head. It sure looks like you could sell anything today as long as it has that neat red light on it.

It must be time for me to take another pill

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
            Ya know, it would be so easy to incorporate an IR depth gage into a DP its not funny, even as an add-on as Craftsman offers with their DP Laser Center Marker. In fact, BOTH of them could be built into one device. The IR detector would need a Zero button 'cause every time you change a bit the distance to the table/work will change. But with the zero button, you just chuck up a bit, bring it down so it contacts the top of the wood (or whatever) you are drilling, then press the zero button. Now when you drill the depth counts up the further the bit enters the wood. A Mode button would allow changing from Imperial to Metric units, and also from a Count-Up to a Count-Down mode.

Yes, please? As far as those that nay-say the lasers, if they can be used for this (accuracy of depth measurement), I say yay to laser!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
            X