Modify WD1665 for filter bags!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify WD1665 for filter bags!!!

I recently bought a WD1665 vac for my workshop, and I'm generally impressed with its features, power, etc. The locking "tugalong" hose is an excellent idea! Also, the high-quality casters are very nice.

However (isn't there always a "however?"), while I was at my local HD buying the vac, I also picked up some filter bags for it. (I have found filter bags to be WELL worth the expense, in terms of convenience, cleanliness, dust suppression, etc.) You can imagine how disappointed I was when I opened the vac to find that there's no way to use a bag! The bags, of course, require some sort of anchor point, usually the "turn-down" at the vac's intake. The WD1665 has no "turn-down," indeed it has no pipe or hose at all projecting inside the drum, nothing to mount a bag to.

As I examined the locking end of the suction hose and the area of the bonnet where it attaches, it appeared to me that providing a 1" or 2" long extension on the inside of the coupler would be a simple matter and would still permit the vac to operated as designed. (There appears to be plenty of clearance between the existing intake and the deflector that's molded into the bonnet.) As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about making just such a modification on my own, to see if it would work the way I think it would.

Has Ridgid looked into equipping their vacs for filter bags? Is the WD1665 the only one that won't accomodate a bag?

This is an old post but I thought I'd bring it back up since I found myself in the same boat.

My wife got me this vacuum for xmas and I unpacked it yesterday, read the instructions, and realized I can't suck up drywall dust and fireplace ash with the filter it comes with. Since those are the two first things I was going to use it for, that wouldn't do.

I went to pick up a new filter and saw the fine dust filter bags on sale. I got 15-22 gallon ones by some brand called MultiFit. A friend had told me to use bags as it will make cleanup much easier.

Then I went to use one and found the problem mentioned by the original poster here.

To use the bag though, I really didn't have to do any modifying. I just took the male-male adapter that comes with the vacuum and shoved it into the inside of the hose where it attaches to the vacuum. I put the bag on the other side, and so far it's worked. The bag is probably half filled now with construction debris, sawdust, and drywall dust and it's held on just fine.

It would definitely be nice to have a proper way to secure it, but just sticking it on seems to be doing the trick so far.

Comment

Wild

Over time are you going to be sucking up loads of fine dust? While they don't come cheap there are industrial vacuum cleaners made for use with special bags made just for drywall dust and fine ash use. People that clean commercial boilers use them and so do other people in need of such a machine. I have one made by Mastercraft Industries that I really like. They make (contract) some models for Milwaukee that use the same bags and filters. The problem is that unless you really need such a machine, the cost for one along with hose and accessories may make you run away from it. If you do need a really good fine dust (they can eat all kinds fo dry dirt) machine, post here or PM me and I'll send you some links where you can read more about them.

Comment

Realistically, using this vac with the fine dust bags should suffice. I don't need any such thing professionally. This is strictly for household DIY projects and cleaning my garage where I work on cars every now and then as a hobby.

I just figure it'll be convenient for cleaning my fireplace now and then. As for drywall dust... I'm remodelling a bathroom and then the garage but beyond that... I shouldn't be creating much in the future.

I just hope the bag doesn't slip off the adapter I'm using the hold it to the hose. I guess time will tell. So far so good.

I really just posted this up so people having the same problem won't make more trouble for themselves than they need.

Comment

WW

Thanks and good luck with it. Some (actually most) models of true ShopVac vacuum cleaners can be fitted with their own brand of collection bags. The yellow bags are pretty good for ash and drywall dust. If the bag you're using does come off, try washing the filter. I fill a pail with warm water and add some liquid dishwashing detergent like Dawn or Joy. Then soak the filter a few minutes and then rinse under running water, but with it flowing in reverse. That is from the inside out. Next allow the filter to dry overnight and you're ready for more use. Look for a premium filter for when you do suck up fine dust. HD should have them.

Comment

I used to pickup drywall dust with my ShopVac and the filter cartridge used to clog up quickly and it would lose suction - not to mention the mess involved with cleaning the dust out of the vacuum and filter. Now I use the filter bags from Lowe's or H.D. and it works great...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Cleaning the dust out of the vacuum was the concern I figured the bags would take care of. The issue is that this particular vacuum really doesn't seem to have been made to fit bags at all. Not the Ridgid brand or any others.

The adapter seems to solve that though. I wonder if they'll make something more reliable? Of course, this may turn out to be perfectly reliable but if I need to use the adapter for something else (using the blower for example) then I may have issues reattaching the bag.

I should probably pick up a spare for this.

Comment

Ok then... Maybe Ridgid should produce some way to properly attach bags to this vac.

I think I sucked up something that burst right through the bag. Then I filled my bathroom and bedroom with drywall dust. heh. Whoops.

So my idea of using the male-male adapter has turned out to be a bit of a dud.

It'll probably work fine if all you're sucking up is small bits but apparently pieces of tile and drywall slamming into the wall right behind the opening are too much for the bag to take.

Of course, they might have burst the bag no matter how it was attached. Do people normally use bags for this sort of thing?

Comment

Working...
                X