X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard cases vs. tool bags

You can't stack the bags in your truck where as you can with hard cases. Some of us carry a lot of tools and we can't have them banging against each other. It a lot of trouble to rumage through a bag trying to get the tool out, not to mention figure out how its suppose to go back into the bag. The little instruction sheet that Ridgid included on how to interleave the tools so they fit back in the sack (combo sets), is the most ridiculous thing I ever saw coming from a tool manufacture. Not that its not important, good luck without it, but the ridiculous (read:non-professional) part, it that you need it in the first place. Forget asking your helper to put away your tooks in the bag, because they will spend an extra 1/2 hour and still not figure it out. Furthermore you could find yourself at a job, with a bent or broken tool, scratched up flashlight lens or broken charger because they are taking abuse in your truck in non-protective sacks instead of hard cases. Professionals want to be productive, and don't have time to run around trying to get their saw fixed because it got bent in the truck because a of tool manufacturer's careless attitude in not supplying a proper hard case.

If i needed a bag to carry one or two cordless tools into the house i am working in then, i would take those tools out of the hard case, and put them into a bag. There are plenty of bags available, that have plenty of extra pockets for screwdrivers and pliers and such, which the bags Ridgid supplies with their cordless tools do not have.

So Ridgid's bag concept is really worthless, and highly non-professional. I come into contact with a lot of different trades during my work, and I am the only one with Ridgid's cordless tools, guess why? Its because of their stupid bags. I bet if i were to make a suggestion to Ridgid to supply a laminated little instruction sheet to hang off the bag, they would think thats a better idea then supplying a hard case.

I don't think Ridgid is listening, but maybe this will get their attention.

PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!! PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!!

PROFESSIONALS REQUIRE HARD CASES!!

I store a lot of my tools in the original hard cases. I have 2 different "bags" that I use depending on the job at hand. If I only need one tool I take the hard case, If I need 2-3 I have a carry bag that I use. For more tools needed on a job I have a large bag that has wheels and a hanle that I can roll around. The only large set of tools that I have baught was the Ryobi One+ 8pc set. It came with a carry bag that is too big to carry with everything in it.LOL The Ryobi tools are my home tools for use there and I don't use the bag at all just keep the tools on a shelf in the shop. My prof. tools were all baught individually and have hard cases. I think ALL high end tools should come with thier own hard cases and then a bag for multi tool carrying to a job site, I mean in sets like you are refering to.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Just asking... Who includes a hard case with thier combo kits??? I know dewalt does with 2 tool combos but anymore than 2 tools and it is a bag. Look it up Ridgid is not the only one who uses bags.
      Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Don't know af anyone that includes hard cases with combo packs, just think they should.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Dewalt has the 4 pc sets and smaller in a hard case but what good is it when you can't get it out of the truck because of the ackward shape.... You can tell i am a fan of the bag. When i walk up stairs i don't have to lift the bag up any higher than i normally carry it. The dewalt 4pc you have to be more careful not to hit things. and you only have one handle that is all plastic. How often do those just come off. And how long to the hinges last?
          No matter what you do you still have to take care of the tools in the back of your truck. I have never had a problem with my Ridgid man purse but i have worn wholes through it....
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

the only thing that i dont like about the hard cases is that there is no room in the case for extra bits. i have a 'crayon box' case that i have all my bits and blades in that i toss in my battery bag when i go to the jobsite. with my hard cases, some have spots for a few blades and some dont, and in the sawzall case, the area that they provide dont hold the long blades that i use anyway. so for that reason alone i like the bag, but otherwise pros need those shnazzy cases, 150%. i do like the bag for another reason, i can have all my tools with one trip from the truck, no too and fro to dig out 5 tools and misc toolboxes with bits/blades from the truck for 45 mins.

nick

Comment

I would like to see the hard case available to buy for anything in the combo kit. I like hard cases because they stack well in the garage, job box, truck. But there is also a time for bags. I am not sure that I would want a LARGE hard case that fit the entire combo kit in it. That is kind of silly. I would rather have a hard case for each tool. But they have to have room for accesories for the tool and maybe more than 1 battery hole.
              Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Hard cases rehashed

I reitterate, bags are fine for carrying tool or two from the truck to the job, but in the truck they don't protect the tools like hard cases do, and you can't stack them. I don't carry just a drill, but many many power tools, well over 20, some are not used every week. I need the tools to be in protected cases, while riding around in the truck as many other contractors do. I depend on my tools, when i go to use one, I don't want to find it damaged. Why is Dewalt doing it? All their tools come in hard cases, why are they the number one manufacturer found on any job site. Have any of you tried to fit the tools back into the combo kit Ridgid provides? I took my own survey from trades at work, they all agree, hard cases are a must. They protect the charger as well. And no, Dewalt's cases don't fall apart, they have great hinges and latches, they are not blow molded, they are strong, durable cases that hold up longer than the tools they protect.
                Last edited by gary1; 05-18-2006, 02:41 AM.

Comment

i have seen several dewalt cases that had duck tap and bailing twine holding them together. If you do have 20 power tools in your truck don't you have shelves along the side to organize things better? i always toss my bag on the van and have never had a problem even if stuff ends up on top of it.
                  But if i had to have 20 different power tools on my truck i would either make shelves or some kind of organizer so i don't have large stacks of tools in the same black and yellow cases.

Comment

if you get a dewalt combo set you can get hard cases on ebay cheep for all the cordless tools . i like the individual boxes so i only have to bring in the tools i need and not all my cordless tools at once.

thats the same as my hand tools some have big tool boxes that they drag in every day ,but i like putting the tools i need in a bucket .some have bucket buddy's that keep all the tools in nice pouches . if I'm working om metal i do not need my wire striper's or 10 different screwdrivers and wrenches.
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Hmmmmm......

Well, my shelve space is primarily used by fittings, handtools and such, They are not deep enough for many toolboxes. Maybe I should go out and by a Sprinter. I just don't like my power tools bouncing around against each other in the too small Ridgid bag, and i don't like repacking it, its like a puzzle trying to get everything to fit perfectly. Does anybody chiming in here in favor of the bags actually own a 4-piece combo kit?

Comment

I do and i also have a ton of hand tools i keep in the bag I don't carry the Circular Saw normally I carry the 18v impact driver but i still have 3 other power tools 5 batteries and 1 two bay charger and they are doing fine in the back of the van.

Comment

Working...
                        X