Cordless screwdriver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless screwdriver

I find the Ridgid cordless screwdriver to be heavier and more awkward to use than the Dewalt. I am wondering why they didn't have the same flex design as other manufactures do. And I wish Ridgid would have included a bit storage holder on it too, as they do on their 18v drill.
    Last edited by gary1; 05-18-2006, 02:26 AM.

I absolutely love mine. Please explain what you mean by flex design?

Comment

Dewalts 7.2v screwdriver has a button on the side of the joint to adjust it's angle. The Ridgid 9.6v swivels around rather than "flex". Ho much of a difference is there in weight? dewalt is 3.5 pounds and Ridgid's is 3.3 lbs???? I'm confused???

The Ridgid weighs less and has the same two positions as the dewalt 7.2v....
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

cordless screwdriver

I don't think the weight quoted is correct, the weight was noticably different between the two, maybe I'm wrong, but the Ridgid seemed much heavier, it felt bulkier, I feel like going back over to Home Depot, buy one again just to weigh it accurately with a gram scale. I got the Ridgid a month ago and took it back after a couple of days, after having used my brother's Dewalt.
        Last edited by gary1; 05-18-2006, 09:48 PM.

Comment

We have a very different opinion about the same tool. The dewalt is to small for my hand. I have a hard timer even using the 7.2 and i hate loosening my grip on a tool and releasing the pressure from the work just to change direction. When you consider they both cost the same and adjust to the same angles it's down to how it feels in your hand. I'd get the Ridgid in a few weeks or months. With a young baby your really can't afford the things you want sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by gary1
            I find the Ridgid cordless screwdriver to be heavier and more awkward to use than the Dewalt. I am wondering why they didn't have the same flex design as other manufactures do. And I wish Ridgid would have included a bit storage holder on it too, as they do on their 18v drill.
            Sit down, lay your tool down for a minute, take a deep breath and think about trying one of these:
            Bosch I-Driver
            It will be interesting to see how the all other brands bring out their wares to compete with these 10.8Volt tools.
            Are you listening Dewalt, Festool, Milwaukee, Metabo, Makita, Hitachi, Porter-Cable?

I'm already on the Amazon waiting list!
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
              We have a very different opinion about the same tool....I'd get the Ridgid in a few weeks or months. With a young baby your really can't afford the things you want sometimes.
              PS,
              OH come on, you could afford it NOW if you tell the wife it's for the baby!
              Phil
              Tools Rule

Comment

Now how about a new family hierloom. I take good care of my tools and still have most the the hand tools i got when i was a 6yr old. I would go for the bosch tools but I already have mostly ridgid.

I do however like the 10.8V Pocket Driver mainly for doing tirm in work.

Comment

Cordless screwdriver mania

Thanks Phil for showing us the I-driver, seems to have it all. Price is not bad, $135.00 at Amazon including tax and shipping. I am sooo tempted to put my order in sight unseen. Now why couldn't Ridgid's design team offer this innovation? I especially like the 90 degree and the shorter head, which means quicker screwhead engagement for me. And if you need the reach, you can always chuck a longer shafted bit.

Comment

Thanks Phil for showing us the I-driver, seems to have it all. Price is not bad, $135.00 at Amazon including tax and shipping. I am sooo tempted to put my order in sight unseen. Now why couldn't Ridgid's design team offer this innovation? I especially like the 90 degree and the shorter head, which means quicker screwhead engagement for me. And if you need the reach, you can always chuck a longer shafted bit.
                    Hey gary,
                    don't knock Ridgid's D team, they've done some good work, and kept things in a budget. Besides, they might be green with envy over things the other guys put in their lines.
                    Don't forget, a long time ago, we started out having only one drill or one circular saw, or one chainsaw available to us. And there are new tool brands coming all the time.

I've been real impressed with this Sears Impact Driver. Look at those torque numbers! This is very innovative, now if some <better> brand would see this as a heck of an idea and run with it, that would be in my tool box too! ( being the tool ho that I am, the angled Ridgid impact driver is on my list now!, But I'd like something half that size)
                    As it is now, I just can't see 4.8v as a very heavy duty/long lasting tool.
                    Phil
                    Tools Rule

Comment

Sears Impact Driver

is it possible to have 175 in/lbs coming from 4.8 volts???????...seems like a misprint...i would like to test this tool.... can anyone confirm this spec?

Comment

is it possible to have 175 in/lbs coming from 4.8 volts???????...seems like a misprint...i would like to test this tool.... can anyone confirm this spec?

Gary1,
                        That driver does not use the typical gear reduction drive that cordless drivers use, instead it uses the same type of a direct drive and hammer impact mechanism that an impact driver that you use to remove your tires on your truck. The drive system is a very durable system, however, I just can't see a 4.8volt tool as a long-lasting tool. Though for that price, just take it home, charge it up, and see just how well it sinks 3" drywall screws. If it works well, it is a keeper.
                        Phil
                        Tools Rule

Comment

I'd like to know the amp hours on that batter then. 4.8v with more tourque than the ridgid 9.6 and dewalt 7.2? Amazing. The 4.8 does hav a higher rpm but in the real world this is just a expensive paper weight.

Comment

I picked one up this past weekend, my mother asked me to find her a lightweight screwdriver and I thought the lesser torque felt on the wrist with the impact action would be a great benefit to an elderly person. It will probably be returned, the switch is on/off and at 1800 rpm that makes starting a screw a rather difficult task for a 70+ year old lady. I tested it out driving some.3” deck screws in treated pine and fared quite well, the speed slowed down with the more resistance it met but had absolutely no problem driving them. It takes 6 hours to charge the battery so it would only suffice as an occasional tool. For $30, it is worth it if you don’t already have an impact driver.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer
                              I picked one up this past weekend, my mother asked me to find her a lightweight screwdriver and I thought the lesser torque felt on the wrist with the impact action would be a great benefit to an elderly person. It will probably be returned, the switch is on/off and at 1800 rpm that makes starting a screw a rather difficult task for a 70+ year old lady. I tested it out driving some.3” deck screws in treated pine and fared quite well, the speed slowed down with the more resistance it met but had absolutely no problem driving them. It takes 6 hours to charge the battery so it would only suffice as an occasional tool. For $30, it is worth it if you don’t already have an impact driver.

Woodslayer
                              Yep,
                              That's what I meant by the idea is great, but would be much better if some of the big boys made it. Like you said, for $30 or so, that's what I expected.
                              Hey Bosch, this <type of tool> would be a great candidate to use your new 10.8 volt Litheon system in, give it about 500-700 lb/in in a tiny, palm-sized package.
                              I'd snap one up in a minute!!!
                              Phil
                              Tools Rule

Comment

Working...
                              X