X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD "Courtesy Discount"?

From time to time, I've seen members mention a Home Depot 10% Courtesy Discount.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Trades only? Secret password? Special handshake?

I'm ready to learn!

Thanks

Re: HD "Courtesy Discount"?

news to me
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

When we bought our house, HD had a promotion (probably still do) that gave us 10% off of anything we bought. You just had to show your mortgage or closing papers or some such thing to show you'd just bought a place.

We had spend hundreds of dollars in the first few weeks of ownership so it was a good deal for us. We got all our receipts together and went back to the store.

We went and bought (again) everything we'd bought over those couple weeks and went through the cash to get our discount.

Then we took the cart out the door and into the entrance right to the service desk and returned it all using our original receipts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
        Then we took the cart out the door and into the entrance right to the service desk and returned it all using our original receipts.
        LMAO! I do this all the time when something suddently goes on sale there, or if I *need* something prior to a 10% type day (like Veteran's day, Memorial Day, etc) and will later get the 10% back.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one abusing Home Depot, Best Rent, Wal-Rent and so forth. ;-)

Comment

and yet with the losses these stores take buy these actions you wonder why everything costs so much
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

HD distributes, from time to time in the stores, what they refer to as "friends and family" coupons. they are usually given to the employees to distribute. the biggest benefit to these is that there is no max discount, just 10% of what you spend on a given day. I purchased deck materials, kitchen cabs and appliances in one trip and saved over $1200. I get mine through a few of the better sales associates I have come to know in a few of the local stores. good luck.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If you buy enough and get to know the pro desk guys they will process your orders at 10% off - no coupon required

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Gopher View Post
                From time to time, I've seen members mention a Home Depot 10% Courtesy Discount.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Trades only? Secret password? Special handshake?

I'm ready to learn!

Thanks
                See here... http://toolmonger.com/category/retailers/home-depot/

Comment

Hi all, 1st timer on this board. I cant help with hd discounts but i get 20% off all my big purcheses at Lowes. Yep 20%. Just go to Ebay and do a little searching for coupons. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I'll start to sharpen my pencil right away!

GG

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post

Dishonesty like this causes prices to raise and ruins it for honest people. I'll call it what it is-stealing.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Dishonesty like this causes prices to raise and ruins it for honest people. I'll call it what it is-stealing.
                        Perhaps this is why a $279 Makita drill costs $329 at HD.

Ern

Comment

Couple of points on this topic:
                          First of all if the person going in and re-buying all of the stuff and then going through returns would have talked to the associate at the returns desk they would have just done all of the discounting on the paperwork. The buy it/return it method justs causes additional work for old partime workers like me having to reshelve everything. If an associate at the returns desk will not or does not know how to do the paperwork, just ask them to call the MOD (Manager on Duty).
                          Second; Every associate in the store can give an immediate price match on anything up to $10.00 (10%). All you gotta do is say, it's available at Lowes for $XX.XX dollars. They don't even have to call for verification. Associates can also go up to $50.00 on price match but have to call and verify.
                          Last edited by harley130; 11-14-2007, 09:49 PM.
                          sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Hmm... I was sure I'd responded to this already...

Stealing? I was entitled to the discount. They just couldn't get me the coupon quick enough.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                              and yet with the losses these stores take buy these actions you wonder why everything costs so much
                              Losses? Did you see how much the former CEO of HD made in his last year? I believe that it was $250 Million. During his time at the helm, HD stock tanked and he made a gigantic fortune. Kudos to all who can legally work the system.
                              Last edited by Peter18v; 11-25-2007, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X