X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Deal $79

A very decent snapshot camera for 80 bucks at Circuit city.

I know most of you carry cameras on the jobsite but for those of you who dont and are looking for a cam. This ones a good deal.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&om_keycode=67

Josh

Re: Camera Deal $79.99 at CC

Great deal Josh

For anyone wondering, it shows as $99.99 but add one to your cart and it's $79.99. Besides blue they also have this deal on the same camera in purple and bright green. With it using SD memory cards this is a nice handy little camera. Maybe Old Woussko will be getting one soon. My old trusty 35mm SLR has served me well but it's a real PITA to have to take the film to be processed into prints and then scan them or negatives every time I want to post a picture of something around here. The $$$ factor gets in the way too.

More info on this camera:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...EC-S860ZUBA/US

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...EC-S860ZUBA/US

I like that this camera uses (2) AA cells for power and they can be Ni-MH or alkaline type. Friends with more high end digital cameras tell horror stories about having discharged Li-Ion batteries and the charger is at home. With this one keep some AA alkaline cells in the camera bag ready for "just in case" and you're set.
    Last edited by Woussko; 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Camera Deal $79

"I like that this camera uses (2) AA cells for power and they can be Ni-MH or alkaline type."

I second this for a work camera, get one that uses a pair of AA cells, easiest to get replacement power for should the need arise.

Also, I looked that the suggested camera by Josh. Looks nice but for a job camera I use a cheap P&S (Point & Shoot) that the lens DOES NOT extend on. That's just asking for trouble in a work environment. Mine will also take movies with no limit other than the available storage capacity. Some cameras (mostly earlier models but some of the current one in the low end too) may only take up to 30 seconds or less of video at a time.
      Built in flash is a must.
      Date/Time stamp in the image is a must have too to me.

There are so many times during the day that a camera can be useful, whether its to cover your butt or to document an existing condition or an injury or what have you.

Take the picture, it doesn't cost anything except a half minute of your time. If you need the photo then you can print it out, email, or whatever. But you can't do ANY of this if you don't have the photo to start with.

Take photos when you start a job to document the existing conditions.

Take photos to aid in completing estimates when you back to the office (even if your 'office' is the cab of your truck).
      Take photos of employees who get injured.

If you get a visit from OSHA and he takes photos you better be snapping them off right along side of his because he is not going to share his pics with you.

If you have employees consider giving them a company camera to use for the same reasons you need one. They are less than $100. I think they can pay for themselves in less than a year easily.

The list goes on.

For someone like Mark I would think a camera with more controls, greater resolution, etc. is needed many times.

Case in point: A recent (>$150M) project I worked we gave each supervisor a simple P&S camera. They were told to use them top document whet they saw in the field and bring it back to job meetings, engineering, etc. and use them to back up their reports. Can you imagine how many hours that saved over the course of the job? How many times they came back to ask engineering a question and they didn't have to schedule a trip to the field with the Eng. to see first hand what the problem was. When you are in the middle of an installation and the pipe or pump say is hanging on the hook (so to speak) waiting for an answer you've got more than one person waiting on you. The sooner that answer comes out the better and less impact on production cost there will be. That $100 camera can pay for itself in the first half hour on a job like that if say you've got a crane + OE + riggers all waiting for an answer.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That is a pretty sweet deal Josh

Where was this deal 8 months ago when I spent 3 times that for the same features?

It has multiple compatibility of different memory cards

Circuit City

Comment

I have one as well as my Brother and g/f Samsung S series. Work great for taking some shots and they come out pretty good too. Plus most of them are under 100 for the lower end ones and mostly the same controls since they are point and shoot. Durable too I was at Biltmore last weekend and dropped my camers on the ground. The lens housing was bent I just pushed it right back into place and nothing damage.
          I highly suggest using recharable NiMh in stead of alk's lost much longer, but nice to be able to grab some cheapies and throw in there in a pinch. Also note you need to change the settings on them if you switch battery chemistries.
          For a charger I suggest http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rech...0913883&sr=8-1
          I was able to grab an open one at HD for $10 in the clearance rack. Works great and can be used in the car or at home and charges in 15.

Comment

If you are going to use NIMH AA or AAA's I suggest buying the hybrid or precharged ones. They will hold a charge much longer when not being used. Walmarts sells some made by kodak but it has to say "precharged". Never mix alkaline, nicad, nimh and lithiums together.

Comment

I was told the main thing to look for in camera rechargeables is the mah on the side. Higher better.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I was told the main thing to look for in camera rechargeables is the mah on the side. Higher better.

J.C.
                I've never gotten into rechargeable batteries, but am trying them in our camera right now because I can't find CRV3 batteries for a reasonable price anymore. CRV3s were the perfect digital camera battery battery. They cost $10 each, but would last us for months. We go through a couple of regular AAs in a day of using the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  Higher the amps the better, but if they are not precharged or hybrid they will discharge very quicky. I have been using these in flashlights, cameras and other devices for several years and they really lose their charge quickly so you are better off buying a precharged or hybrid with 2100MAH as opposed to a plain NIMH of 2800MAH's

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    I've never gotten into rechargeable batteries, but am trying them in our camera right now because I can't find CRV3 batteries for a reasonable price anymore. CRV3s were the perfect digital camera battery battery. They cost $10 each, but would last us for months. We go through a couple of regular AAs in a day of using the camera.
                    Rechargeables are amazing and save you plenty of money. I have several tactical LED flashlights that use CR123A batteries. They are 3 volt and you can buy throw aways for five dollars a piece, or buy RCR123A's which are rechargeable lithium ions $28 for a charger and four batteries that will last several hundred cycles. Check out candlepowerforums.com and be amazed at the information on flashlights, batteries and other useful things.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Higher the amps the better, but if they are not precharged or hybrid they will discharge very quicky. I have been using these in flashlights, cameras and other devices for several years and they really lose their charge quickly so you are better off buying a precharged or hybrid with 2100MAH as opposed to a plain NIMH of 2800MAH's
                      I could see the benifet in flashlights, but I have never used pre charged and they seem to hold up for a few months for me, before discharging. To each there own though, whatever you can find the best deal on.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        My camera accepts AA alkaline batteries in a pinch but I have better performance with higher amp AA rechargeables. The low battery warning appears quickly whenever I use AA alkalines. The camera's power drain come from the LCD, image stabilization, auto-focus (constant) and flash. The only negative as Frankiarmz mentions is they discharge rather quickly in storage thus the camera is never in ready-to-shoot mode. Fortunately my charger is quick (15min).

Comment

Aren't we getting a bit wild here? The deal with this camera is to keep the cost down. I really doubt serious photographers wouldn't have a trusty 35mm SLR and most likely a good digital SLR camera for their main use. The one would be either a backup, ruffing it, or such. For people with a tight budget, I would think they would get the camera, a SD card or two, and a 4 or 8 pack of AA Alkaline cells and be done. Later on if they find they are going through AA cells too quickly then they might buy a charger and 1 or 2 sets of Ni-MH cells.

The one would be either a backup, ruffing it, or such. --- The = This
                          Last edited by Woussko; 09-10-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            Aren't we getting a bit wild here? The deal with this camera is to keep the cost down. I really doubt serious photographers wouldn't have a trusty 35mm SLR and most likely a good digital SLR camera for their main use. The one would be either a backup, ruffing it, or such. For people with a tight budget, I would think they would get the camera, a SD card or two, and a 4 or 8 pack of AA Alkaline cells and be done. Later on if they find they are going through AA cells too quickly then they might buy a charger and 1 or 2 sets of Ni-MH cells.
                            I have a Digital SLR and 35mm SLR too, but use this one more often than not. Mine is actually the 6 MP version with is $79 or cheaper everyday. Takes great photos and I have printed out a ton of them in 8x10 too. This is a great snapshot camera for the money
                            I could see the 4 or 8 pack of batteries if you plan on keeping them with you, but they drain quick in these cameras.
                            Also I don't think you will need more than one card unless you plan on storing a ton of pics. I have never come close to filling up a 1 GB card with my S series and they do support HDSC cards so you are good up to what 8 gb or more now ? So get one card from micro center for less than $10 and spend the money you save on a rechargeable set of batteries. Use the Alky's as a back up .

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                              A very decent snapshot camera for 80 bucks at Circuit city.

I know most of you carry cameras on the jobsite but for those of you who dont and are looking for a cam. This ones a good deal.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&om_keycode=67

Josh
                              Just picked one up.Thanks Josh.

Comment

Working...
                              X