X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodcraft: 50% off DMT PSS1 sharpening system, now $40

To those shopping for sharpening tools/jig: normal price ~$80 now half price at $40.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=5366

I do not own one so no comment if it is any good, but I have bene contemplating in getting one.

I will swing by the local Woodcraft outlet tomorrow to see if they have the same deal .. save me shipping.

Happy shopping.

Re: Woodcraft: 50% off DMT PSS1 sharpening system, now $40

Local Woodcraft is still at $80 and refused to match Woodcraft.com

Will have to order online and got ding for S&H.

Comment

I bought one, used it that night for a bit on one chisel and returned it. I was not overly pleased with:
      a) the rate of sharpening. Since it is a manual process it only goes as fast as you do.
      b) the sharpening side to side. It put the burr on the side edge. Weird and awkward to remove.
      c) the item being sharpened is not held in place by any mechanical thing. So you just have to pinch it on there and hold it. Went askew once or twice.
      d) you have to apply the right / continuous pressure to keep it sharpening..

I wound up buying a Worksharp later on, which I have to say I'm thrilled with... so that's my retrospective comparison.. but obviously cost is an issue.

For $40 this might be a good *final* or touch-up sharpening item. But definitely not something to take worn chisels back to serviceable use.

Comment

Being one who barely uses his chisels and no sharpening tools at all, I placed an order -- considering $40 is a still a good price when andf if I need o sharpen my chisels .. LOL

Anyway, by setting my expectation low I should have no complaint on this $40 set up

But my BIGGEST surprise is that despite there is a Woodcraft in where I live, my order has no sales tax ... apparently all Woodcraft are individually owned?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
          But my BIGGEST surprise is that despite there is a Woodcraft in where I live, my order has no sales tax ... apparently all Woodcraft are individually owned?

Cheers

That is correct. IIRC, they're all franchised. Probably why they don't have to adhere to prices on Woodcraft's website. Annoying... as I'd *rather* support local business, but I also don't want to pay more than I have to.

Comment

Along with "Wood_Junkie's" post > I have gone to a Woodcraft store in the Roswell, Ga. area when visiting my sister, only to find that sale prices I see on the Internet and/or a flyer I received in the mail don't match. It does appear that each store is individually franchised and do not have to adhere to sale prices advertised by Woodcraft. I do enjoy visiting the store and seeing all the "boy toys" though.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
              Along with "Wood_Junkie's" post > I have gone to a Woodcraft store in the Roswell, Ga. area when visiting my sister, only to find that sale prices I see on the Internet and/or a flyer I received in the mail don't match. It does appear that each store is individually franchised and do not have to adhere to sale prices advertised by Woodcraft. I do enjoy visiting the store and seeing all the "boy toys" though.
              You might mention to them that there is a Rockler only two exits south in Sandy Springs. Drop by Roasters for lunch and tell them Coach Rick says 'Hello'(from a thousand miles west).

Comment

Working...
              X