X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discount for military at HD this week

If you haven't checked out Home Depot's web page today, and you are in the military, they're offering 10% off for 1 week. The details aren't too specific on who qualifies, they just say "valid military ID." If it is only for active personnel I'd say that's pretty disrespectful of HD to not consider all the veterans in the past, and the spirit of what the upcoming holiday weekend is.

Re: Discount for military at HD this week

The two times I've used the discount, they took my word for it. It doesn't hurt that one of the people that was behind the service counter was also a vietnam vet and we swapped lies for awhile.

Comment

I've gotten the discount in past years when I ask for it. Probably helps that I actually have a DOD/Army ID card. But they don't usually ask for it.. Sometimes I simply show it..

Comment

This point has been brought up for years now whenever HD offers this military discount on Memorial Day and again on Veterans Day. You'd think they would have this clarified by now but being HD they still don't have a clue.

In the past, and I assume nothing will change this year, they have allowed all veterans, past and present, to take advantage of the discount. If you don't think that they'll just take your word for it, just bring along a copy of your DD214 with you and that will be all the proof you'll need. The one time that I did this the HD employee's didn't have a clue that there was even a special discount for military personnel and veterans going on so don't be surprised if you're greeted with a blank stare when you ask for your discount.

Also, in the past, Lowes will match the HD discount offer.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post

Also, in the past, Lowes will match the HD discount offer.
          I picked up Lowe's ad flyer today and it seems like they are offering their own version of the HD military discount. Have they done that before or just matched HD's?

The discount terms are actually worded much better and end up being slightly more generous as well. "Offer available for active, reserve, honorably discharged, and retired military personnel and their immediate families. Must show valid military ID or other proof of service... up to $5000 purchase, max discount of $500."

HD's discount is $2000 purchase, max discount of $200, could probably get HD to increase the discount to match Lowes if you're making a big purchase.

Comment

does it count if i registered for a potential draft when i turned 18 back in 1981

considering our sales tax is now 9.25% that discount basically covers sales tax

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

wow, that's pretty steep. I thought 7.5% or so was bad enough here... Kansas City manages to squeeze us in other places though. the 1% city income tax, and yearly property taxes on vehicles are not pleasant.

Comment

15% in my neck of the Great White North...........although it was 77 degrees today, not so north-ish.........
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I just used the HD 10% discount today. Showed my ID and away I went. Not a big purchase just some paint brushes, roller covers, and some paint.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Last fall when I bought my TS2410LS the guy in the Tool Dept. told me to ask for the military discount when I checked out. I told him I wasn't active military, ETS in 1971, and he said that Lowes gives the discount so HD will also. I asked for the discount and the checkout girl didn't bat an eye. Just took 10% off the saw and few other things I was buying.

I has been my experience they will give a 10% discount, authorized by the department manager, whenever asked. I have asked often and never been refused. In order to get 15% a store manager needs to authorize the purchase. I bought a small 5x8 enclosed trailer last year. List price was $2,149.00. With the 15% discount and showing the store manager the dings in the side I paid $1,400. Big savings.

Tom
                    Last edited by Tom W; 05-22-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X