X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt DW734 12-1/2" Planer

I ws at the Statesville, NC Home Depot yesterday to get a planer. I had weighed the strengths and shortcomings of the DW734 and the Ridgid 4330, and decided for my needs, that the DW734 was preferred.

So, I'm in the HD, with both models side-by-side, and no boxed units of the DW734 visible (nor an empty space for them). I get a floor person, and ask if the store has any of these (the DW734)

"Yeah, we have one. THAT one."

"When are you getting more?"

"We're not."

He offered $50 off, I countered with $75 off, and a few minutes later, he said the manager approved, so I got it for $324.

I have no idea if this is initiated by HD or by DeWalt (neither did he), but it's possible that other HD's out there may be willing part with DW734's at a discount.

The $50 offered discount was not marked in the store, so ask.

mdaskalos

Re: Dewalt DW734 12-1/2" Planer

Interesting, it wasn't all that long ago that HD was clearing out all of their DW735 planers at bargain basement prices to make room for the DW734's. Why am I thinking that this could be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?

When I bought my Ridgid WD1956 vac it also was marked as clearance and was the display unit with no additional stock on the shelves. A few weeks went by and the display space remained empty but then low and behold a new unit appears on display with additional stock on the shelf and the sell price was what it was before they put mine on clearance. Turned out to be a great deal for me though as I got a $180 vac for $75. Sometimes there is just no logic behind what HD does.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Agreed about the right hand and the left hand.

I could now wish I had been looking for a planer sooner - it was only yesterday that I read up about the deals on the DW735 that were available some months ago - much better than my DW734 deal.

mdaskalos

Comment

when i had a chance to buy a NIB ridgid tp1300 in 2010, i jumped at the chance. got it for $205 and promptly sold the 13" craftsman pro planer i had gotten for $130 for $250. why, besides a slight profit, did i change planers? because ridgid offers the LSA.

at $399 for the 4330, is saving $75 now that significant when the dewalt will be out of warranty in 3 years and the ridgid, once registered for the LSA, will be covered for considerably longer? just one repair could quickly wipe out that $75 savings. just my $.02.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          is saving $75 now that significant when the dewalt will be out of warranty in 3 years and...
          Ummmm, YES!

I appreciate your input Finer, but like I said:

"I had weighed the strengths and shortcomings of the DW734 and the Ridgid 4330, and decided for my needs, that the DW734 was preferred."

The Ridgid lacks an attribute (cutter head/carriage lock) I consider important for my work. I suppose the Ridgid LSA guarantees that it will lack the lock for many years to come, but...

Further, as I mentioned, I saw the two side-by-side in the store, and had the opportunity to inspect both. The infeed and outfeed tabels had more flex in the Ridgid, and I could easily feel that the tables on the Ridgid were made of a thinner gauge of steel.

My main concern with the DeWalt is that people report it goes through blades faster. The saved $75 gets me blades - two sets, perhaps?

If the LSA only guarantees the tool will not suit my needs for many years, it's not worth the extra $75 to me to obtain it.

mdaskalos

Comment

The DW734 was $349 last summer/fall at lowes. HD also had that price for a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X