X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4516

HD has the Ridgid R4516 on clearance for $103. Minus the 10% Lowe's coupon, it's out the door for under a hundred.

Re: Ridgid R4516

Must be a regional deal as I've never even seen that model saw offered for sale at the local HD's here.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Must be a regional deal as I've never even seen that model saw offered for sale at the local HD's here.
      +1 in my part of NY.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Never saw them here (pun intended) either. Went in and looked overhead. I found 2, bought 1 with a 10% Lowe's coupon. Co-worker went to a different HD and bought both that they had, again overhaed.

Comment

I Have the Ridgid 45161 tablesaw, can i use an 8 inch dado blade with it? I have put one on and can get up to half inch width . I opened up the dado blade insert a little to make up for the larger diameter blades. Question is will this strain the motor to much. Don't use the dado too much but sometimes need it for dado's and rabbits. I got a killer deal on the dado set at Lowes. 90 set for 16.99! CMC orange. Couldn't pass that up.

Comment

koufax, I'm pretty sure that the information you seek can be found in your Owners Manual. Most 10" benchtop table saws have a width capactiy of ½" wide for dados but the diameter capacity for the blades may differ from model to model. Probably a good idea to double check the Owners Manual before making any dado cuts with that set.

Comment

I have checked the manual and all it says is a part number for the dado insert. I bought that same insert and it is one inch wide and 6 inches long. This would work as is as long as you don't raise the blade up more then 1.2 inches. I have made numerous cuts with this blade and they come out great. My question is whether or not the 8 inch compared to the 6 inch would put a strain on the motor. That is not covered in the manual.
              Last edited by koufax; 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Page 32 of your Owners Manual clearly states that the saw was designed for use with a 6" stacked dado set. That tells me that using an 8" dado set on this saw is dangerous and should not be done, regardless if it does or doesn't strain your motor. Although I have no evidence to back this up, I'll go out on a limb and say that using an 8" dado set on this saw will put more strain on the motor than using a 6" dado set would.

Comment

I agree with BadgerDave on the use of the 6-inch dado.

This subject does come up occasionally and I have come to understand that most of the smaller saws will handle only a 6-inch dado set. In most cases, I think it's a matter of clearance. However, just from a simple "mechanical math" point of view, it takes more power to move an 8-inch dado stack through material than it would to drive a similar 6-inch stack. I guess the simple way to look at it for me, is that there is less mechanical leverage affecting a six-inch diameter than there would be on an 8-inch diameter, given the same cutting width. (In reverse, when you are doing the turning (like with a wrench), the longer the handle, the better the leverage... hence, the motor would require more power to offset the "mechanical advantage" of the resistance of a blade at eight inches from the center, then it would at six inches.)

Does that make sense to you?

The advantage of using a larger diameter dado (or blade) would be the increased number of teeth and their velocity, which should make a better cut. (As the radius increases, so does the velocity for a given degree of arc.)

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 08-01-2012, 07:50 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

I have used the 8" many times and it works just fine. dangerous? Maybe if you don't open up the dado throat to the size of the 8 ". as for the saw it's a cheap inexpensive saw and if the motor burns out guess what ? I'll get another one that has a stronger motor. This was a less then 200 dollar saw and I'll use it until it breaks. And it won't be a Ridgid. Thanks for the "help"

Comment

Better have another piece of cheese guy. You sound a little bit lacking.

Comment

I love it when people come in here seeking advice, then disregard it when the answer isn't the one they were looking for.

Comment

but he'll be back complaining about how terrible the LSA is when he needs it and realizes he never registered for it.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                          X