X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea market find

Picked up a Ridgid aluminum 36" pipe wrench today at a flea market for $30. Don't have an immediate need but at that price couldn't let it go.
    I'll add a pic when I get back to the desktop computer.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Flea market find

If the teeth are in good shape and the previous owner hasn't hammered on it that's a pretty sweet deal! Nice find.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Picked up a Ridgid aluminum 36" pipe wrench today at a flea market for $30. Don't have an immediate need but at that price couldn't let it go.
      I'll add a pic when I get back to the desktop computer.
      Now for me, that would be "a pass" If it requires over a ten inch pipe wrench, it is up to the younger group to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        If the teeth are in good shape and the previous owner hasn't hammered on it that's a pretty sweet deal! Nice find.
        Oh no, it is really nice shape. Its a few years old but looks barely used. It is definately worth the price. I didn't even try to get anything knocked off as I felt is was so reasonable, strange as that may sound. I felt the guy was at rock bottom already. If i were selling it i would have wanted at least double that. There are no signs of a cheater or being hammered on and the teeth are in great shape. They are not even all gummed up with pipe dope, that's one reason i say its barely been used.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Attachment
          Attached Files
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

a couple years ago i got a 1 inch greenlee slug buster for 5 bucks
            Im a yard sale cruzer
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Another trip to flea market this weekend yielded a almost new, Stanley Bailey #5 with original box for $25. Picture to follow. I need another plane this size like a hole in the head, but I couldn't pass it up for 25 bucks. It's like brand new, has a few nicks in a blade but I'll clean it up easy.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM.
              ---------------
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Phoebe and I were at the swap meet today and picked up a 3/8" all thread cutter.

Rick
                Attached Files
                phoebe it is

Comment

wow, she's getting big! Pretty soon she'll be lifting that big Hilti box in the background.
                  These are my little girls.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

first three pics are the #5 plane I picked up today. Its in excellent, nearly nused condition.
                    Attachment Attachment Attachment
                    These are the four #5 planes I have now.
                    Attachment
                    This cabinet holds most of the planes I use most often.
                    Its mounted on the end of my woodworking bench.
                    Attachment
                    Top shelf has a #20 circular plane, in the back a router plane I made some years ago,
                    a shoulder plane laying on its side, then working toward the right a couple block planes
                    and two #4, one is a Stanley I bought in the early 80s and one an old Craftsman.

On the bottom in the back left are a #7 and #6, with two #5s in front.
                    On the right bottom are two more #5s
                    Attached Files
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Franki, I see the girls

But who's the stud centered between them

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Actually phoebe ratted me out to mommy.

I bought 2. A combo 3/8" & 1/2" and the straight 3/8" cutters.

Rick.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-05-2013, 08:22 PM.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          Franki, I see the girls

But who's the stud centered between them

Rick.
                          I confess, that's little old me, big as life and twice as ugly.

Comment

Rick I had a 3/8 cutter and loved it, I did a lot of pipe hanging and used it hard. It was the same brand as the one you got.
                            When I moved to Maine I didnt need it so I gave it to My helper
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Not a flea market find but roadside yard sale this time.

Yesterday I'm driving down the road and I see a yard sale, looks to be mostly kids toys, clothes, the usual junk.
                              But under a pile of toys and kids video games is a table, and as I drive by it looks like at quick glance that is has
                              a bench vise mounted on it.

So my curiosity gets the better of me and I turn around to take a look. Yup, its a torsion box top work bench with a
                              quick release front vise on it. And its got two Veritas bench pups with it to boot. I spy a small sign taped to the table
                              and I make note of the make/model of the vise and I leave to finish my errands that can't wait telling myself I'll stop
                              back and see if I can work out a deal.

Well, I forgot because I ended up not going that way home so I didn't pass it again and didn't remember until I was
                              home 9 miles away. So this morning I'm on my way home from a Hamfest and I have to go back in that direction and
                              I remember the bench.

I drove over to see if it was still there and it was. Last night I had looked up the vise and it is a German made one that
                              Woodcraft currently sells for $225. The Veritas bench pups go for $25 a pair. So not even counting the bench itself I figure
                              this would be a good deal if I can get it for 80 or less. I go back and I offer them 75, the guy who owns the bench is not
                              there so we haggle on the phone. He says he's got 75 in the wheels alone (some nice 4" casters with locks). Ended up
                              getting it for $90, couldn't argue with that for what I got and he was originally asking $100. Didn't get it for my target
                              price but I figure I would kick myself if I left it behind for $10.

I don't have any place to use it right now, no room in the shop for another bench 36"x96" so I put it in my storage locker
                              until I can figure out what to do with it. Shudda took a pic with the cell camera but forgot, next time I am over there I'll
                              try to remember to do that.

At the Hamfest I missed out on a set of Hustler HF coils for 80m, 75m, 40m, 20, and 15m. As I walk up and was about to
                              ask the price another guy comes up and asks, the seller says $50 for the lot and I am ready to offer $40 and I'm waiting
                              for this other guy to say he wants them or pass. He ponders for about two minute while I wait. I could have made my offer
                              but they were in the middle of negotiating so I kept quiet. The guy finally offers him $35 for the lot of coils plus a small box
                              of assorted mobile antenna mounts and he says "sold!" Oh well, he who hesitates is lost but I would not have felt right buying
                              them out from under the other ham. It's flea market rules I know I'm just saying I would not like it if I were he so I don't do
                              it to others. If he had passed on the coils I would have bought them for $40 and he would still have the antenna mounts to sell.
                              That's the way it goes some times. Hamfests are disappearing it seems, and what's there is nothing like it used to be. I have never
                              made it to Dayton but maybe some day, maybe next year.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X