Great Tool 'Deals' That Are Too Good To Be True Probably Are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Tool 'Deals' That Are Too Good To Be True Probably Are

There will be tons of tools that will hit the flea markets, Craig's List, eBay, and other places shortly.
    Remember that during a flood most times the water is not very clean. It carries all kinds of crud in
    it and that stuff gets into every nook and crevice of a tool. If you are in the habit of buying tools at
    the places mentioned, and other items for that matter, remember they may have come from a flood
    area and they most likely were not properly cleaned and disinfected.

For me I would stay away from any power tool, cordless or otherwise, that may even have a hint of
    having been in a flood. You'll have no warranty, you don't know if it's been properly cleaned and
    serviced, and no idea of how long it will last even if it was properly serviced. To me it's not worth
    the risk.

You don't have to be in the affected area, these items are more likely to be transported to the East
    or West coast or Northern Mid-west away from the flood area as people will be less likely to think
    about where they came from. This has happened many times in the past, mostly with cars, and now
    that I mention it watch out for cars too. Do a title search or CarFax search to see who owned it and
    where it was tagged. That will be of some help but doesn't guarantee the vehicle wasn't under water.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-03-2017, 06:06 PM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Good advice.
    Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

a number of years ago, I bought a floor striper machine, and come to find out it had been at least sitting in water for some time, it was OK but from the inside it was clear it was "flooded" in its past,

I was thinking when will the submerged cars be flooding the market,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

And sitting underwater for a week does a lot more damage than say leaving a tool
        outside in a rainstorm. When it's been submerged and had a few days to soak it's
        trash as far as I am concerned, not to mention the water with sewage that it's
        been soaking in.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 09-04-2017, 05:04 AM.

----

Comment

Thinking of all those poor guys whose workshops got trashed makes me cringe, what a terrible waste. I wonder if the big box stores try to work something out to make it less painful, I don't have a huge amount of tools but it still would be a small fortune if I had to replace them.

Comment

All good observations, and advice. I guess you have to be thankful to have your life, but all your stuff is gone, tools, machines, vehicles electronics, personal items, memories! What about their pets? Those folks lost their place to eat and sleep. Horrible, and where or how dol you rebuild? Prayers to them all.

Comment

the potential of recovering from a flood is much greater than a fire, I know the struggle my son has had since his house and garage burnt down at the beginning of the year, and I step out side to night and smoke from the fires in California, Washington, Idaho, and Montana, are blowing down over us and one can hardly see the moon, let alone stars, and the smell, there has been the smoke haze for the last number of days,

Disaster is just that disaster, regardless of the form it comes in, wind, fire, water,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                Those fires out West are devastating. I remember when we were there last year visiting Sequoia National Park you could smell the fires burning and they were no where close to us. When we visited Yellowstone about 10 years ago and saw the results of that huge fire that was allowed to burn and let nature take its course I was amazed. Last night on the news they said the combined area of the 75+ fires currently raging out west was about one million acres. That's an area larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 09-04-2017, 05:02 AM.

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                Im sorry about your sons great misfortune, I hope everyone is ok. I encourage using fire sprinklers they are a pain but they work, you men can easily figure out how to install them.

NY Times article - A Sea of Health and Environmental Hazards in Houston?s Floodwaters

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/u...s.html?mcubz=0

As pointed out in the NY Times article, thousands of private wells will be contaminated too.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 09-04-2017, 04:52 AM.

----

Comment

Much of Texas lacks zoning regulations, they like the freedom of being able to build and operate a business as they see fit and see regulations as too burdensome which I agree with, its a burden to have to make provisions for flood control like setting aside areas for flood control and here in CA like many other states, it's borders on the ridiculous. But it works, at a high cost.
                But 25 trillion gallons of water is not going to be controlled in flat or hill country, it's going to be a bleep storm and I would not want to go through that twice.

Comment

how does any one prepair for 30 to 60 inches of rain in a few days time,

flood control or not, if it was mountainous the valleys and road would be gone, if it is flat like a lot of texas is it is under water, the only place that could have taken that storm with out damage is the ocean,

yes I am sure some that some areas should not have built up on, but there was water where people had never seen it in there life times,

even if California rules would have been in force, there still would have been massive flooding

what would LA have looked like if 50 inches of rain would have fallen on it in four days,

and if I rember right california, burns and mud slides every years some place, so they must not be doing everything right,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Mightyservant
                    Mightyservant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Far from it, still as much grief as the clean water act is for our company, it's nice to walk over to the bay and see much clearer water and see healthy fish being hauled out, unlike when I was a kid and the water stank of oil, was murky and the fish had sores on them.

Six years ago we got 12+ inches in 24 hours, no hurricane, just a big a$$ storm, and it washed out 6 bridges in the western half of the county. It was 3 years before they got them all replaced. There was no repair, they were 100% gone. County fought with the Feds for a long time to get the money. Caused us to have to drive an extra 6 miles one way just to get gas or food or go to any type of store since they were all located on the other side of the county. Fortunately it didn't affect my daily commute to work too bad, only one bridge that I used daily was washed out, and the detour was an extra mile each way.

If we ever receive 40+ inches of rain I think we would be in just as bad a situation as much of Texas is now. But I think the highest on record here is somewhere around 14 inches or slightly less.

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                    Mightyservant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Send it out here already will ya!

• Bob D.
                    Bob D. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I bet Texas wishes they could have done that. Those firefighters surely could have used a few trillion gallons.
                Working...
                X