Lsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lsa

I found this video on the LSA. https://youtu.be/GBKHz9fGAoY . Is it really a good reason to buy ridgid? Do they stand behind the tools for a lifetime? Any help would be great!

I won't say that the LSA is a GOOD reason for buying the Ridgid-brand products for everyone, but for me personally it was a good reason to particularly buy their cordless tools! I'm a home owner and a weekend hobbyist whenever I can find the time. To own a 'cordless' meant that my batteries would only be used occasionally that in all likely hood the batteries would probably fail prematurely. So, a "Lifetime" of free battery replacement made a lot of sense. I bought my first 'cordless' tools in 2005 and just this past spring, I had to replace two 14.4- and two 18-Volt batteries under the LSA. It was a somewhat simple phone call, and a week later I received all four replacements. I don't know what they cost today, (even if you can find them), but I imagine it would be at least $300.... and that, certainly made the purchase worthwhile.

I also own several corded Ridgid brand tools, starting in 2003 I've purchased a floor-standing drill press, thickness planer, joiner, and I have their 2-base router, a couple of sanders, and several nailers; all of which are covered under the LSA. I've only had a drill and a sander serviced (several years ago), but in both cases the tools were returned with a couple of weeks and I've had no further trouble with any of my Ridgid tools since that time.

Now, let me tell you that there is some confusion about the "Ridgid" brand and the LSA. First off, you will find the "Ridgid" brand on several types of tools and all of them are NOT covered or eligible for registration into the LSA. The "LSA" is ONLY available for hand-held and stationary power tools made by TTI (Techtronics International) which is a Hong Kong-based company. TTI owns several brands including Ryobi, Milwaukee, Dirt Devil and several others. It uses the brand "Ridgid" under license from Emerson Electric (an American company) who owns that brand name. Emerson also owns the "Ridge Tool Company"! Tools made by Emerson (shop vacuums) and Ridge Tool Company (plumbing and electric tools) DO NOT qualify for the LSA. Those particular tools are covered under a "Lifetime Warranty" which primarily covers only manufacturing defects in material and workmanship. For example if you wrench breaks and it is determined to be a metallurgical defect, you'll get the wrench replace. On shop vacs, you'll get it (or a component) repaired or replaced for the same reason... PROVIDING that the motor brushes haven't worn out! If they have, then Emerson considers the "Lifetime" of the product to be expired.... maybe you can then use the vac barrow for a trash can or planter or something!

Furthermore, the TTI-offered LSA is only available if you purchase it ONLY at Home Depot AND you properly follow the rules of LSA registration. You fail to properly register the tools within the stated time frame, or NOT register them at all, then you have a 30-day "satisfaction" return policy and a 3-year warranty. Note, the LSA is NOT a warranty, it is a "service agreement" which requires registration!

Okay, all that said and done, you'll find a lot of complaints here on this forum (and probably elsewhere) from people who didn't get their LSA acknowledged. There are many, many such comments and probably the reasons for that are equally abundant. All I can attest too is that with the many "Ridgid" tool purchases I have made since 2003, I have always registered and always been successful at being "registered" for the LSA. I think one time I had to make a phone call because after four weeks I didn't get an acknowledgement; and, one time they questioned a particular receipt. In all cases I have been successful with my LSA registration.

So, I think I just covered everything. My personal feelings is that if you find a particular Ridgid hand-held or stationary power tool that meets your expectations, then by all means buy it... AND register it, AND if you don't get a response notification of the registration, then call Ridgid within two weeks. IF you delay, then you may well loose out.

Finally, the questions of, "Are there cheaper tools?" YES: "Are there better tools?" YES; Are "Ridgid" tools worth buying? That's a personal choice and for me the answer is also YES, but it depends on the tool and your needs.

I also own Craftsman, Ryobi, Milwaukee, and a few for the last few years, even a few Harbor Freight.

Sorry for the very long answer to your brief question, but as you have just read, it's complicated!

CWS

ps, Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response!! Everything you said makes sense. I will shop around Black Friday for a deal and see what I find. The LSA on the batteries in the combo kits seems hard to believe but I will see if it works once they die.

Comment

I've had no issues registering my recent RIDGID purchases from Home Depot; just enter the Part Number, Serial Number and the code on the receipt and wait a couple of weeks. It is concerning waiting those couple of weeks for the registration to turn from Pending to approved, not knowing if there is a problem or not. My advice is register early and give it a month before getting concerned and calling. Some people have reported issues.

I registered tools as far back as 2008 and don't remember a problem, but back then you did have to mail in information.

I've had a number of batteries fail over the years and have just collected them. You used to have to take them to a service center to get inspected and then replaced and I could not find anywhere near me. Last year I decided I was going to sort out this LSA and get them replaced. When I went on-line I found that all you needed to do was call and number and tell them the issue/describe the problem for battery replacement ....... So I did and 10 minutes later (after a polite call) I was approved for replacement of 6 batteries. All arrived a week later with instructions to take the old batteries to Home Depot and drop them in the battery recycling bin. And the replacement batteries can be registered for LSA so if they need replacement in 5 or 10 years time, they are covered.

When I bought the tools they seemed good tools with good value. I don't use them for work, so they do not get hard use; maybe occasionally get a good work out with building a deck, basement upgrade, or other job, but generally light use. I like the tools and they are still going fine. The battery replacement was a big bonus. Without the battery replacement, the option was to either buy new RIDGID batteries to extend the life of the tools (a couple of hundred dollars), or buy new tools with batteries, maybe a different brand (cheaper brand for similar price or similar product for a lot more). Getting the batteries replaced cost nothing, and the tool life is extended for many more years.

That said, since getting the replacement batteries, I have got a couple of new tools (with batteries - on clearance). So now I probably have more batteries than I need at any time. It does kind of lock you into a single brand.

The only issue I have had with a RIDGID tool was with a reconditioned tool, which doesn't get covered by LSA, so that got tossed out. Surprisingly, the battery that came with it is still going after 10+ years. Never had to have a tool serviced/repaired.

Comment

Working...
        X