X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt X2 ... $69 clearance at HD

this drill is on clearance at HD for $69. Anybody know why? The original 12volt (non-x2) is regular price ...

Was at HD today, twice in fact and didnt see any at that price. You sure that wasnt a goof up ? I'll keep looking though.

Comment

Couldn't believe it myself. But I called HD to ask and was told these drills are now "clearance." The guy even looked it up in the computer to confirm.

Comment

And this from HD ...

"We certainly appreciate your concern, but while we do not have any specific information on why a given product is placed on clearance, the fact that an item is placed on clearance is not related to whether there are problems with the quality of the item. If an item has sufficient issues to warrant a change in price, we would seriously reconsider whether it is in our customers' best interest to carry the item after the issue is reported."

Comment

i bought 2 last night. one for me and one for a friend.

I have no worries buying something on "clearence". In fact, i bought a Porter Cable 11 amp Saw Zaw last year on clearence last year from Lowes for $60. The only reason it was on clearence was because they were going to start carrying the swivel head model rather than the straight shaft they were closing out.

I can speculate that the 12V wasn't a hot seller b/c the price. Folks probably figured if they were going to spend that much, they may as well spend a few bucks more and get a 18V.

It still has a 3 year warranty. If it doesn't break in 3 years, it's not likely to be a problem.

Caspian

Comment

My Home Depot was offering an additional 10% off all clearence prices so I got the drill for $67.30 after tax. I am extremely happy with it.

Comment

Well, looks like I need to go shopping...again, thanks for the info.

Comment

I don't need another drill, I don't need another drill, I don't need another drill,......... HONEY, I think I need another drill.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Just to set the record straight. The drill is not on clearance. It is just on add at a lower price. The reason they did this is because of the huge amount of them in the stores, and the slacking sales this christmas season. Being the last month of the fiscal year they are trying to boost sales. It is a great drill for the $99 it sold for during christmas. But now it is even better. But the drill is not going away.
                  Jeff

Comment

This item has been removed from the HD
                    web site. So, they must be removing it from
                    their active inventory. It showed on the site
                    on Monday and Tuesday, but is not there now.

Hokie...

[ 01-27-2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: va tech hokie ]

Comment

At my Home Depot's they also pulled the displays.

Comment

I contacted both my merchant for HD and the merchant for Ridgid today. The story I got from both of them was that they will no longer be making the 12v in a 1/2" chuck only the 3/8". From what I was told there was not enough sales to support both models with the retails only being $10 apart.(original prices were 1/2"=$129 and 3/8"= $119) but as to why they decided to do away with this one and not the smaller one I do not know. I figured it has to do with cost of production. But they still haven't put them on clearance. Not even Innactive yet. Just on add at lower price. Who knows. When I go in tommorrow they will probably change their minds again.
                        Jeff

Comment

why they decided to do away with this one and not the smaller one I do not know
                          There is no point to the 12V 1/2" model. Its not significantly lighter than the 14.4V and just as large. The 3/8" is a powerful COMPACT drill. That's why I bought 2 for cabinet installation. Also, I don't like the carbide jaws of the X2 chuck for light duty work. It's more difficult to chuck bits and it chews them up. I do wish the 3/8" had X2 batteries though. The extra capacity and weight down low (for stability when set on the base) would be nice. I tried to get one of the $69 deals just for the batteries but they were out.
                          They should also do away with the 14.4V 3/8" model. With the exra length for the grip handle its almost as large as the 18V. I just don't see what need it satisfies. If you want small and light get the 12V. If you want something in between get the 14.4V 1/2" or the 18V 3/8".

[ 01-27-2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: ByteButcher ]

Comment

I agree, the 14.4 3/8 model is kind of a waste and will more than likely be the next to go.
                            Jeff

Comment

I saw this deal for $69 and couldn't pass it up. I can take or leave 12v, but the charger will charge dual 12, 14.4, or 18v batteries. So when I find the 18v set on clearance, I'll have an extra charger for it. Until then, I have a new drill to play with!

Comment

Working...
                              X