eBay Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Find

Came across a pile of tools being sold on eBay. It was a mix of drafting and machinist tools.
    Had a buy it Now price and also Make An Offer, so I did and they accepted it
    and the box arrived today. There is a pile of stuff I don't really have a use for. And some
    that would never have any attraction to anyone other than as a collector item. But it was all
    or nothing so you take the good with the bad. I had put some values on the pieces that I wanted
    and made my offer according to just those items. I figure I can try to sell the unwanted items on
    eBay or just trash them. Not because they are worthless but because they are not the trouble to sell.

So here is what all I kept. I got all this for $140 including shipping. I think I did alright. The squares and
    other machinist tools are mostly old stuff from Union Tool in Massachusetts I don't know their age but they
    look to be from the 50s or 60s and in very good condition and perfectly usable with no rust or damage.

- 12" combo square with center head and protractor head (Union Tool)
    - 6" combo square with center head (Union Tool)
    - 4" double square (Union Tool)
    - 6" veneer caliper
    - 1" micrometer
    - (2) 6" steel rules (one Craftsman and one Union Tool)
    - center gauge, inside and outside calipers, dividers, and a Hermaphrodite Caliper
    - Union Tool Wiggler/Center Finder

- Click image for larger version  Name:	20210614_105430 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.3 KB ID:	749472

So a quick look on eBay to see what these might go for individually and here is what I found.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Union Tool Center Gauge.png Views:	0 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	749473
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Union Tool 12 Inch Combo Square.png Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	749474
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Union Tool Double Square.png Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	749475
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Union Tool 6 Inch Combo Square.png Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	749476
    I didn't look up the rest of the small bits. I figure I got a good but not a great deal. I don't think I overpaid anyway.
    I figure the micrometer is only worth about $10 to $15 at best today.
    Plus I have all the stuff that I don't want to sell and offset the cost or just get rid of and take the loss.

There is a 12 inch Acu-Math slide rule that might be worth a couple bucks and a 6 inch one too. And a bunch
    of drafting squares and French curves and protractors that I have no use for and have no value to me. I have
    enough of that stuff of my own hanging around already. :-(

Click image for larger version  Name:	Acu-Math Slide Rule.png Views:	0 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	749477
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-15-2021, 04:21 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

I say you scored a pretty good deal ... My Great Grandfather who was a machinist by trade worked for Union Caliper in the early 1900's here where I live. Then it became Union Tool in which my Grandfather work for as a machinist through the great depression retiring from Starrett Tool Co in the 70's.

I have some Union Tool planers and calipers that where handed down to me and my younger brother got the lions share of my Grandfathers vast collection of machinist tools.

Comment

I sold the slide rules recently on eBay. I put a Buy-It-now price of $15 plus shipping. I figured I'd give them a try before I tossed them. Didn't really expect anyone to buy them. Live and learn.

Haven't tried to sell anything else out of the lot. Don't think I'll even bother.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
      "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I had a similar situation where something I wanted on ebay came with stuff I did not. I was overhauling the transmission on one of my vehicles and needed a tool. As you know with transmissions there are tools designed for specific models and is not something generic or easy to find. New it cost $250 but I found a used one from a dealership, being sold with other stuff on eBay for $15. I bought it, took the tool and put the rest back up for sale also for $15. It sold for that price and so I effectively got the tool for free.

Comment

Working...
        X