X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powermatic 66 TS for $450....

I recently was offered a powermatic 66 table saw for 450 dollars. The saw has had one owner and was bought in early 1980's. I turned it on the other day and it sounds smooth and quiet. The overall body is in good to fair condition and top is rust free. The beisemeyer fence system seems to lock down rock hard. The laminate needs to be replaced as it has a few chips.

I am considering buying the saw for this price as I have talked him down from 550 to 450 as his final price. I know there are a lot of questions and if ands or buts, but is this a good deal? It has the 52 inch fence system, etc.

Looks good. If I was to purchase this I would like to really fix it up and make it look new... so any suggestions as to forums or websites I can get information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

PS. I am selling a 2412 Ridgid Table saw in Good to excellent condition. This saw is in the Boise, Idaho area so let me know if you are interested.

I can't believe you didn't write the check right then and there. If all is as you say, that's a great price for a very high quality CS.

Was the standard motor a 3HP back then?
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 09-27-2006, 12:00 PM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

You know I thought I should have but wanted to make sure...

I will get it today!

Comment

Boise is only about 6 hours from me. If I knew where it was at I'd probably race you there means42..... Sounds like a good find!
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

"...is this a good deal? "

Not in my book....it's great deal! (...slap, slap!)

Comment

THank you everyone! I did buy it and it is in my shop being taken apart now to really clean this up and make it look new. It has very very little rust anywhere on the casing and NO rust on the inner parts. It squeeks a little when adjusting the blade up or down or tilting but really is a in great shape. I took a friend and he bought the guys Powermatic I believe 6 foot shaper for 600. The guy offered me both for 1200 but I just dont ahve that kind of cash right now.

I am going to take the saw apart and sandblast the cabinet and parts then paint and put it back together... Any ideas as to type of paint and any upgrades I should do to the inner parts while apart? I will put new belts on (has 3)

Any ideas as to rebuilding? I have never done this before, but doesnt look to difficult as I have done some auto work before and under stand the concept of a wrench!

Comment

As long as you're going to replace the belts anyway, spend a little extra and replace them with link belts. Also, I'm sure you probably know already but use a dry lube when you re-lubricate all the inner parts.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
                As long as you're going to replace the belts anyway, spend a little extra and replace them with link belts. Also, I'm sure you probably know already but use a dry lube when you re-lubricate all the inner parts.
                AFAIK link belts aren't considered a good choice for multibelt applications like this, but he can buy higher quality cogged v-belts to improve performance.

Comment

Should I replace any bushings and or bearings while I am stripping this down?

Also, anyone have any suggestions as to colors I should paint it? I was thinking late last night (must be crazy) to go w/ ridgid orange and white race strips on outside...

Is this crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by means42
                    Also, anyone have any suggestions as to colors I should paint it? I was thinking late last night (must be crazy) to go w/ ridgid orange and white race strips on outside...

Is this crazy?
                    You know.. Lately I've been thinking about painting a table saw, too. I've thought about orange, red, black w/ flames, and about 6 other color schemes.

If I do decide to repaint it, i'm going with the stock grey. That's mostly because I don't want to mess with the fence, rails, or all the other little details that won't look right if they're not painted to match.

If it were mine, I'd stick with the gold.

Comment

Working...
                    X