Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIP ! $5.00 1/2 Shank Router bits!!@....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIP ! $5.00 1/2 Shank Router bits!!@....

Woodcraft has a SALE on there Router Bits!
    $5.00 bucks each, 1/2 shank,looked to be 14 to choose from I bought one of each myself, came to $80.00 with the $10.00 shipping. In store too, for those that have one close, but I hear the better selection is online, as the stores run out fast.
    Hope someone can use this info.

I’ve been waiting for this sale to come around again, I bought a Bosch Colt a few months ago and have a very limited selection of ¼” bits, just my luck, they are only offering the ½” bits at the discounted price

Woodslayer

Comment

I bought one of those 50 piece sets (Chinese) from ebay, comes in a wooden wall hanging box with plexi doors. 1/2 shanks. So far, I am pleased. The acid test was doing some particleboard that was 1 1/2 thick (two 3/4" glued together). They are on ebay for around $50 to $60 for the whole kit shipped. The blue colored ones were the ones I got.

They do hold up really well. I have a collection of Bosch, some Craftsmans and some Hitachi bits. I bought them to test them out and see if they were junk or not. I use a top of the line hitachi C12V (not VC) router, 3 1/4HP, smooth as silk unit. Very nice one.

All in all, I have learned my lessons over the years with cheap tools but for 60 bucks, I figured , what the heck.
      Unless you are using them professionally, they are a good deal for the home hobby use. If you want to expand your collection and don't use the router daily, you won't be displeased with that kit.

All carbide teeth too..and bearings held up fine doing 700 linear inches of taper routing.

Normally, I am a stickler for higher end tools. This was a purchase where I feel I got "lucky" and it has increased my useable collection. Not bad. On a one to ten, I give them a solid 8. When they came in, they were all scattered out of their pockets and took an hour to sort out and place in perspective pocket places in the box. My gut feeling is that the seller did not have time to put them back and they came that way and he was just "unloading them". I see several of the same kits being offered. One caveat, watch the shipping prices. I noticed one person wanting 69.00 to ship..a total rippoff shipping deal there.

I am not affiliated with any sellers on ebay, I just though this was one of those "good deals". For pro use day in day out, get the goods and don't fool with ebay.

Hope this helps someone...
      When in doubt, unplug the saw.

Comment

Taiwan the way to go w/ router bits

Originally posted by Directorate View Post
        I bought one of those 50 piece sets (Chinese) from ebay, comes in a wooden wall hanging box with plexi doors. 1/2 shanks. So far, I am pleased. The acid test was doing some particleboard that was 1 1/2 thick (two 3/4" glued together). They are on ebay for around $50 to $60 for the whole kit shipped. The blue colored ones were the ones I got.

They do hold up really well. I have a collection of Bosch, some Craftsmans and some Hitachi bits. I bought them to test them out and see if they were junk or not. I use a top of the line hitachi C12V (not VC) router, 3 1/4HP, smooth as silk unit. Very nice one.

All in all, I have learned my lessons over the years with cheap tools but for 60 bucks, I figured , what the heck.
        Unless you are using them professionally, they are a good deal for the home hobby use. If you want to expand your collection and don't use the router daily, you won't be displeased with that kit.

All carbide teeth too..and bearings held up fine doing 700 linear inches of taper routing.

Normally, I am a stickler for higher end tools. This was a purchase where I feel I got "lucky" and it has increased my useable collection. Not bad. On a one to ten, I give them a solid 8. When they came in, they were all scattered out of their pockets and took an hour to sort out and place in perspective pocket places in the box. My gut feeling is that the seller did not have time to put them back and they came that way and he was just "unloading them". I see several of the same kits being offered. One caveat, watch the shipping prices. I noticed one person wanting 69.00 to ship..a total rippoff shipping deal there.

I am not affiliated with any sellers on ebay, I just though this was one of those "good deals". For pro use day in day out, get the goods and don't fool with ebay.

Hope this helps someone...
        IMHO MLCS makes the best inexpensive bits;but they are really not all that inexpensive. I like freud,viper(oldham)and whiteside bits. The old line of craftsman pro and craftsman industrial are to the best of my knowledge whitesides and are made in the USA. I got them on clearance at Sears hardwaree bout a year ago at close to 5 bucks a bit.
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

IMHO, Holbren.com has been the place to get great deals on bits lately. He carries Whiteside at great prices for his top of the line, and the Holbren line value bits are comparable to other Asian value bits like MLCS, Woodline, Price Cutter, and Woodcraft, but are usually less expensive...free shipping too.

http://holbren.com/home.php

Comment

I didn't have any that were 1/2" shanked myself my old B&D router only had a 1/4" collet( still going strong), but bought the new B&D FireStorm Plunge Router (got a good review and for $79.00 they basicaly said it was pretty darn good for the price)It comes with both 1/2&1/4 collets, variable speed,soft start, a guide fence, and a few other things are included, and DC is through one of the main tubes,. My first plunge router, thought i'd play with a decent inexpensive one befor plunking down some serious cash on one.For the use i'll give it i'm sure it will be just fine for me.IF needed i'll later go with one of those that have 3 bases , I still have always wanted one with a "D" handled base.
            Originally posted by woodslayer View Post
            I’ve been waiting for this sale to come around again, I bought a Bosch Colt a few months ago and have a very limited selection of ¼” bits, just my luck, they are only offering the ½” bits at the discounted price

Woodslayer
            Last edited by American and Proud; 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Colored Bits

Originally posted by Directorate View Post
              ...The blue colored ones were the ones I got...
              Just curious. I've only seen router bits in a few colors such as green, red, and blue. Are the bits color coded for some reason by the bit manufacturers or do they all happen to like the same colors?

FSK

Comment

On more expensive router bits the paint or coating, is said to aid in easier cleaning of the bit , as in cleaning "pitch" off of them .Some use the color as a "Brand" recognition thing.
                As far as there being another reason for different colors I'm not aware of it, but there could be. Maybe someone else knows more.

Comment

Recieved the 14, $5.00 Woodcraft bits I ordered today!
                  Did anyone else get theres ? sale is still on list is down to 13 on the site now. All came in individual soft plastic sleeves so I will be needing to build a case for them soon.

Comment

A&P,
                    Woodcraft has been offering this $5 bit special, a couple of times a year, for a few years now. For a long time it was just 10 different profiles but last year they added a few more.

Generally, I prefer a little better quality bit like Whiteside for bits thats I use on a regular basis but for occasional use bits these are hard to beat. I use the Woodcraft pattern cutting bit when I make my ZCI's.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Oh I understand there surely not for a production shop, I grabbed them as a starting point , bought my first plunge router that excepts 1/2" bits they will be replaced as needed with a better Quality bit in the future. My old B&D fixed router I have had over 20 years and only excepted the 1/4 " shank , so for the price I thought it would be good as a starter set for the new router. Sale was just perfect timing for me.
                      I've heard others mention the Whiteside bits too and i'll keep them in mind , Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X