Lost water line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost water line

I was in Spain in 99 and we installing a 12" waterline. We lost the valve box during the digging and Bob Cool who was head of waterworks PW come down and off memory (no up to date prints) he tell us to hand dig in a particular spot. Dig 6' down, no dice. This continues for a week. I learned to hate that man.

He then brings out the witching rods which move nice but don't find anything. We dig for another week based on the rods. In 2 weeks time we have a hand dug hole big enough for a 15 ton dump truck. We found the valve by bringing in the excavator. It dug for an hour and broke the line and we spent the next 3 hours repairing the line. We then traced back to the valve.

If there are any Seabees out there, yes, this is the same infamous Rota waterline that I think got started in 83.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Lost water line

just weeks before disney's, california adventures was going to open. the parks fire dept. noticed that a valve box for a hydrant was missing. the whole area was colored stamped concrete.

it was determined to shut off the entire parks fire main and pull the hydrant. i pushed my seesnake into the 6'' ductile iron line to see the buried valve. all this while all the chiefs were watching over my shoulders.

well the real issue was not locating it. it was pinpointing it to allow for core drilling a 8'' hole and dropping a valve box on top of the valve buried 8' below grade. this to eliminate having to re pour the entire area to match the proper color and stamp.

i might be good , but not god ductile iron is not a material that can be pin pointed like cast iron can. 1' off in an 8' deep hole was good for most, but not for mickey

99% of locates are within this tight of a tolerance. i guess 1/8'' per foot was not close enough.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i pushed my seesnake into the 6'' ductile iron line to see the buried valve. all this while all the chiefs were watching over my shoulders.

rick.
      Umm Rick...would this be the same seesnake you had down someone else's sewer the day before?
      I thought the water tasted funny there.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Umm Rick...would this be the same seesnake you had down someone else's sewer the day before?
        I thought the water tasted funny there.
        remeber we all pee on the fire hydrants.

drink from the water fountain next time.

remember i have 8 cameras. not all of them are for pooh some are for mickey

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X