So you want to be a plumber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So you want to be a plumber?

I got a call last year from the GBI forensics lab. They had two drains stopped up, one mop sink and one floor drain in the autopsy room.

I do the mop sink first, nothing to it. I then "suit up" to go into the autopsy room. The drain is under a stainless steel sink with a 1hp insinkerator food waste disposer on it. The sink flows into the floor drain as an indirect waste.

I pulled the bucket strainer from the drain and find that it is clogged with hair and little bits of bone. Really gross. As I am scraping the nasty off the bucket strainer I am talking to a GBI agent and trying not to lose my breakfast.

I got the bucket "clean" and ran my cable down the drain. When I got finished I gave them my bill which included my leather gloves roll of cable and drum that held the cable.

The agent asked me why I was charging them for the cable and drum, I told him that there was no way that I was putting that back into my truck, much less taking it into a customers house. He reluctantly nodded as if he agreed with me, but I knew he was expecting a $90.00 charge and not a $770.00 charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
      I got a call last year from the GBI forensics lab. They had two drains stopped up, one mop sink and one floor drain in the autopsy room.

I do the mop sink first, nothing to it. I then "suit up" to go into the autopsy room. The drain is under a stainless steel sink with a 1hp insinkerator food waste disposer on it. The sink flows into the floor drain as an indirect waste.

I pulled the bucket strainer from the drain and find that it is clogged with hair and little bits of bone. Really gross. As I am scraping the nasty off the bucket strainer I am talking to a GBI agent and trying not to lose my breakfast.

I got the bucket "clean" and ran my cable down the drain. When I got finished I gave them my bill which included my leather gloves roll of cable and drum that held the cable.

The agent asked me why I was charging them for the cable and drum, I told him that there was no way that I was putting that back into my truck, much less taking it into a customers house. He reluctantly nodded as if he agreed with me, but I knew he was expecting a $90.00 charge and not a $770.00 charge.
      chris, don't you think you should of explained the potential cost of the job before you started? you were working in a forensic lab. you didn't expect food waste

billing for replacement parts of a machine is not exactly the norm. snakes will get dirty, that's what they were designed for.

i hate to think what my snakes and jetter hoses go through at a day in the office. the only time i charged for a cleaning charge was when i snaked out a main and the cable came back full of oil based paint. same color as the interior the painters were working on. still just an extra hour to clean with their paint thinner.

i have worked at plenty of hospitals both jetting and snaking. no different than working at a commercial kitchen.

am i the only one questioning this

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        chris, don't you think you should of explained the potential cost of the job before you started? you were working in a forensic lab. you didn't expect food waste

billing for replacement parts of a machine is not exactly the norm. snakes will get dirty, that's what they were designed for.

i hate to think what my snakes and jetter hoses go through at a day in the office. the only time i charged for a cleaning charge was when i snaked out a main and the cable came back full of oil based paint. same color as the interior the painters were working on. still just an extra hour to clean with their paint thinner.

i have worked at plenty of hospitals both jetting and snaking. no different than working at a commercial kitchen.

am i the only one questioning this

rick.

I totally agree with Rick...I would be pretty upset to if i had to pay $770 on two floor drains that were cabled...and i didnt know that before you started...
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Yeah, I will always explain the cost to the customer before I start, that way there are no suprises when I am done doing my work. Nothing worse then doing a good job then having the customer complain about the bill when it comes.

In chris's case, I would find it hard to charge the customer for the cable and drum, I broke a cable once and tried to charge it to the customer, it was his "messed up drain that broke it" he came back with the rebutle, he shouldn't have to pay for the whole cable, it's not like I went to his house first after purchasing the cable and only used it for his house. The cable came used to his house. It was only a 3/8' cable, broke off in a broken drain under the slab, He had a good point.

I have however charged customers for blades, 1 time, I was running a m/l cable and the owner had been there days before running a cable, he broke it off and I got stuck in his old cable, he didn't tell anyone, so anyways, long story short, I got my cable out, used a tow chain to get his out, and charged him $30.00 for a new blade.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I use to tell the customer on bad drains they would have to pay for a new cable if they wanted me to still try and clear it and it ruined my cable. I never had a customer tell me no and I never had to charge anyone for a cable. It seems the only time I hurt a cable was on the easy drains where I wasn't paying attention.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If it were a normal residential or commercial situation the customer would have an up-front price.

i do not haul biohazards or biohazard contaminated material. Nor do i operate the facilities that can handle the runoff from cleaning such contaminated cables.
              The cable and drum were contaminated with matter that I could not in clear conscience take into anyones home. Had it been only a mop sink or common kitchen drain the matter would have been different.

The cable had that "smell" of formaldehyde and death, as did the rest of the autopsy room. I will not risk taking that cable into a restaurant where food is prepared or into a clients home as many older people already have challenged immune systems. Even if the cable was not contaminated with physical evidence of the encounter. What would you say if I brought that stinking machine into your home??

I've never charged a client for a kinked or broken cable as too many irregularities in cable quality and temper exist.

Comment

Chris,

Concerning the contaminated cable.There are chemicals that kill all bacteria aren't there.

Wouldn't bleach do a good job?I'm sure there are even better bacteria killing solvents

Adam
                Last edited by drtyhands; 08-27-2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Maybe bleach,some biocide, 1200 degree steam and a few days under an ozone generator. It wasn't worth it to me to spend my time cleaning and disinfecting the reel. I would've never been satisfied.
                  Last edited by ChrisConnor; 08-27-2007, 11:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

That brings up a question for me.... Usually ill pressure wash off a snake if it goes thru some bad stuff, chemicals, sludge, mud stuff like that...I use slight bleach and pressure gun...I will oil my cables about 5 mins afterwards with snake oil....

Does everyone use bleach??? and is there any other oil or lubs out there???

Greg
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                      Maybe bleach,some biocide, 1200 degree steam and a few days under an ozone generator. It wasn't worth it to me to spend my time cleaning and disinfecting the reel. I would've never been satisfied.
                      Chris,I saw your light on I hope I catch you.We did a tie in to the sewer being fed out of another medical building isn't that the same stuff.Does morgue waste go somewhere special

Serious question really no sarcasm,Is there some kind of treatment tank or facility before it gets released into general city sewer.
                      Last edited by drtyhands; 08-28-2007, 06:00 PM.

Comment

The issue is not just "waste". You are dealing with disease as well.

There could have been TB and other diseases that you are cross contaminating and exposing people to.

Some things die when they hit the air others just wait and breed the disease in the coils of the reel.

Didn't the morgue ever have anyone snake their lines before?

It may have been worth it to discuss this with them and perhaps sell the snake to them and leave it with them for future use in their lines. I know too late now.

I am not fussy about germs, but I wouldn't want Rick to bring that thing back home or even to leave it in his truck.

Joey
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm fairly certain there are laws and regulations regarding putting medical/bio-hazard waste down in to the drainage/sewer system. In most areas liquid medical/bio-hazard waste has to be diluted with bleech and in some you also need sampling boxes.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

M y brother just read my post. He is an Emergency Room physician and has done oodles of autopsy's. He said waste is waste. It doesn't matter if the snake went down a pipe in a hospital or in a home.

He says I should be more concerned with the fact that I married a plumber

I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I don't know what this facility uses. I have done work at a funeral home that had a separate interceptor and chemical dripper for the embalming room.

As Mrs. seat down said. "it's not just waste."

I will not carry bio-hazardous waste in my truck. I carry a truck full of stock that is installed on potable water systems and it is my job to "protect the health of the nation".

I didn't take the reel and cable. I did leave it with them.

Any way you look at it. It makes me feel better knowing.
                              Last edited by ChrisConnor; 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM. Reason: mctmjajs;ljifsf

Comment

Chris,
                                I rspect your position,And see no fault in warning others of the sanitation issues surrounding biohazards.

It would be nice to know how facilities prep their potentially dangerous waste before realising it.

The sewer tie in we did was not on schedule.We were up to our knees in who knows what as it was coming out of a medical facilty.

This subject has raised my curiosity,I'm gonna check with a old friend who I haven't seen in a while.I'll get back to you guy's.

Comment

Working...
                                X