Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So you want to be a plumber?

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
    M y brother just read my post. He is an Emergency Room physician and has done oodles of autopsy's. He said waste is waste. It doesn't matter if the snake went down a pipe in a hospital or in a home.

He says I should be more concerned with the fact that I married a plumber

did he also tell you that was the smartest thing you did in a real long time

remember who gets the calls when the going gets deep?

a doctor, a lawyer, a ? or plumber rick

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Adam,

Do you have all your Hep shots? All plumbers should have them anyway just from the waste alone.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Yeah,

Rob got them last year..the tetanus too..very important...if i was a plumber i would go for just regular check up once a week...heart,lungs,skin...

Thank god i'm not..my medical would banckrupt me

Comment

I have all my shots. The hep is a pain int he butt because you have to get a series of shots over like 6 months, but it is worth it in the long run.

I also got my parvo, rabies and distemper when I was in there also
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            I have all my shots. The hep is a pain int he butt because you have to get a series of shots over like 6 months, but it is worth it in the long run.

I also got my parvo, rabies and distemper when I was in there also
            See,I told you Marks cat could teach Their dog how to post.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              See,I told you Marks cat could teach Their dog how to post.

Maybe Mark's cat could teach charlie how to potty train too

Comment

[quote=VASandy;81172]"Hot on the left, cold on the right. Don't put your fingers in your mouth."

lmfao, "dont put fingers in your mouth"...
                my old man who is a mason told me that all i needed to know about plumbing was " sh** flows downhill and payday was on a friday"
                there is a fine line between woodworker and tool collector....

Comment

Crack Kills

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Mortuaries and morgues give me the heebee jeebees too but they employ some of the most colorful people I've ever met

After seeing the process in a hospital morgue I changed my will to "immediate cremation"
                    Hmmm...the problem with cremation is if a bunch of teenagers ever find a book about black magic and read it out loud by candlelight one night you won't be able to participate as a zombie when the dead come back to life. I'm not giving up that opportunity!

Eli
                    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      M y brother just read my post. He is an Emergency Room physician and has done oodles of autopsy's. He said waste is waste. It doesn't matter if the snake went down a pipe in a hospital or in a home.

Agreed. Whether it is saliva, whether it is excrement, whether it is urine, whether it is blood, hair, semen, cartilage, organs, bones, eyeballs......it's all the same.

Charging that lab after the fact was a wrong one, you did that on the basis of moral judgement that in a medical/technical point of view, you're mistaken on that call.

A biohazard in relation to human beings is anything that comes from one, something as simple as dried skin or nail clippings. Just because it isn't in paste form stuck to your cable doesn't make it any different. Proof is in a medical journal, your doctor or any body of business associated with medical history.

This picture right here I find quite disturbing. I found this by accident last week and have been waiting for the opportunity to make comment about it in relation to subject matter.

What appears harmless to some is exactly opposite of what the picture depicts. That machine has been in countless jobs involving human waste matter, the operation of that equipment is a huge risk with either the guard missing or the ability of that cable to hang up and jump out of the drain. I know this because I had it happen today on my 81 clearing a kitchen sink drain.

Those two little girls did exactly what all young children do; touch everything even though they are not supposed to. Touching that powerfeed handle along with touching the adjustment handle are two well known places wear those ugly gloves that hold the cable while in operation, come in contact with.

Children at that age do not have a fully developed immune system that makes them vulnerable to everyday germs, disease and hazards. So if something that isn't a normally exposed condition that makes them immune, pictures like the above "could" trigger a nasty reaction by illness.

I speak from experience on this notion:

I was putting in a full bath for a customer, I do both drain cleaning and bathrooms when I was younger. Young boy was playing around in the basement, dad was talking to me not paying attention to his son and here come little tike with a brand spanking new copper fitting in his mouth.

Dad now becomes aware of his son doing this and makes him stop. 3 days later his son was in the hospital clinging to life due to an illness which was an acute infection that had this poor kid hooked to life support and no one knew why the kid was all ****ed up.

When I heard about it, I had a pretty good idea that with my truck having drain cleaning equipment near my copper fittings, my dirty hands, the combination of all of it including the kid sucking on one of those fittings probably caused the illness.

I waited 4 years before I told that fellow of what I thought might of caused it. I waited that long for a reason. Sue happy people might of blamed me, nevermind the dad not properly watching the son to prevent such an occurrence.

Those two girls we know did not go and wash their hands, no way. They probably ate candy or handled something like a toy or doll or anything that has the nasties you never want around a child.

I'm sure "this time"........nothing ever happened and they went on like little kids do.......but that doesn't mean that people don't get sick and seriously f'd up when exposed to human waste products.......whether it's the fluids and solids that expel from the body down to the parts inside the body whether they are hard or soft.

If I touch a door handle after drain cleaning, I use a hand wipe behind me when I'm done and the gloves are off. I constantly keep adding foot booties on if I'm walking to another area in the house where germ transfer can be optimum whether it's a child crawling across the floor or the dog walking his paws through it.

This is why my phone keeps ringing, requesting my return for future work...

I care like no one else and I'm always offering prevention for the worst case scenario.

But, I guess I should mentioned I haven't showered or shaved today as I put creamsicles as top priority when I got home.

I did a horribly disasterous drain call today whereby the cap came off the cleanout while rodding above, blew black muck everywhere in a closet. Looked like a freaking explosion and no one knew it was coming.

6 rolls of paper towels, 8 plastic bags of garbage and plenty of cleaning products to get it somewhat feasible before I left.

Kitchen sink drain is flat for 23' easily, old sewage galore.

The kind you try to clean and you hit a speck and smears a line on that clean pretty white wall.

Don't take offense rick! as I know it happened a long time ago.

No children are even allowed in the same room as me when I'm cleaning a drain, I explain to the customer that there is to be no foot traffic back and forth in the area where the backup occurred until the area has been thoroughly sanitized.

What they do to follow my directions after I leave is on their shoulders, not mine.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Worst drain job I've ever done. Customer has backed up downstairs toilet that leaks water from the base when the upstairs toilet flushes. There's a 1/2" of water in the bathroom floor with poo floating in it. I tell the customer that that needs to get cleaned up before I can pull the toilet.

I go out side to the cleanout and there's a tree downstream about 5 ft away. On a feeling, I get a garden hose and pour water in the cleanout. Fills right up. Easy day I thought. I snake through the cleanout and pull out a root ball. That took about 20 min. I'm thinking this is too easy.

I go inside and the customers are playing video games. To give you a mental picture. 1 guy, almost 6'6", rail thin and gay as can be (not that there's anything wrong with that). His roomate is a short, squaty female w/ a husky voice; also a tambourine player. She was definently the masculine one. Fustrated at the lack of concern, I decide to pull the toilet standing in the poo water.

Thinking the clog was gone, I run the sink and water comes right out of the base again. Another clog. Remember when I said the toilet was backed up? As I lift the toilet, a mound of poo rises from the bottom about 4" high. With the smell and seeing this, I'm not getting sick, I'm getting mad. I set my snake up and run 15 ft in. Poo gone. I run the sink, no water, success.

There's so much poo everwhere, I get 3- 5 gal buckets of hot water and wash off the flange and the floor to get things cleaned up. The smell won't go away. I realize what one BIG problem was once I could see the flange.

The toilet flange had previously broke on the side where the hold down bolts go so a previous plumber got another toilet flange and turned it UPSIDE down on the broken one and tap-conned it in the floor. So there's a pipe sticking up about 1 1/2" and that's what they had placed the flanged wax ring on. I took that off and fixed it right. The pair hit pause on their game long enough to clean the bathroom and I reset the toilet. And the stoppage? Paper towels is what's on the end of my snake. They ran out of toilet paper and were using paper towels.

Still want to be a plumber?

a "tamborine player?" if you are implying what i think that is a new one

Comment

Dunbar, you sound like one crazy dude. But I must say I really enjoy your posts and you have a way of describing plumbing experiences so well I feel like you have been in my head.
                          Hope to meet you in person one day.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Dunbar, you sound like one crazy dude. But I must say I really enjoy your posts and you have a way of describing plumbing experiences so well I feel like you have been in my head.
                            Hope to meet you in person one day.

Beware!

I truly am crazy Name:  4018bea670065ee49fde7ae5b455f98d.gif
Views: 1
Size:  4.6 KB
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldPlumber
                              One time I went to a service call for a "plugged toilet" well I got ther and opened up the top tank cap and there was sick **** all inside. I asked how this happened. is happened that the son (12 years old) thought it would be funny to take a **** in the tank so then when the next person flushes, **** will over flow into the bowl. Well his **** clogged the little bastard and they wanted me to "clean" the inside components and unclog it, which I did, but I charged the bastards way over because they refuses to just replace the parts, they wanted me to clean it. ****ing kids.

And now your banned, what ashame

No wonder your only making 129 a year running your own co.
                              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                                And now your banned, what ashame

No wonder your only making 129 a year running your own co.
                                and another one bites the dust
                                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                                X