X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to be a plumber?

Worst drain job I've ever done. Customer has backed up downstairs toilet that leaks water from the base when the upstairs toilet flushes. There's a 1/2" of water in the bathroom floor with poo floating in it. I tell the customer that that needs to get cleaned up before I can pull the toilet.

I go out side to the cleanout and there's a tree downstream about 5 ft away. On a feeling, I get a garden hose and pour water in the cleanout. Fills right up. Easy day I thought. I snake through the cleanout and pull out a root ball. That took about 20 min. I'm thinking this is too easy.

I go inside and the customers are playing video games. To give you a mental picture. 1 guy, almost 6'6", rail thin and gay as can be (not that there's anything wrong with that). His roomate is a short, squaty female w/ a husky voice; also a tambourine player. She was definently the masculine one. Fustrated at the lack of concern, I decide to pull the toilet standing in the poo water.

Thinking the clog was gone, I run the sink and water comes right out of the base again. Another clog. Remember when I said the toilet was backed up? As I lift the toilet, a mound of poo rises from the bottom about 4" high. With the smell and seeing this, I'm not getting sick, I'm getting mad. I set my snake up and run 15 ft in. Poo gone. I run the sink, no water, success.

There's so much poo everwhere, I get 3- 5 gal buckets of hot water and wash off the flange and the floor to get things cleaned up. The smell won't go away. I realize what one BIG problem was once I could see the flange.

The toilet flange had previously broke on the side where the hold down bolts go so a previous plumber got another toilet flange and turned it UPSIDE down on the broken one and tap-conned it in the floor. So there's a pipe sticking up about 1 1/2" and that's what they had placed the flanged wax ring on. I took that off and fixed it right. The pair hit pause on their game long enough to clean the bathroom and I reset the toilet. And the stoppage? Paper towels is what's on the end of my snake. They ran out of toilet paper and were using paper towels.

Still want to be a plumber?
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: So you want to be a plumber?

nice k-60. aren't you glad you listned to mark and i. i'm not a hugh fan of the large auger end. too big a chance to find that open pipe and get stuck.

i love the sawtooth spiral root saw

let me get some more time and i'll post a doosey

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

1983 or 84 Fairbanks Alaska, I was a plumber apprentice. We used to blow out clogged sinks and toilets, before running a snake, most of the time it works. If I recall right, sinks were 20lb and toilets were 30 or a tad higher in pressure shooting.
      My Master Plumber and I got a call on a clogged bathroom sink, off we went. A rather large lady answered the door and sweating rather heavily. She was apologetic about her sink being plugged and couldn't understand why her sink was stopped up.
      Went into the bathroom (this will be an easy job, in & out) and she followed us. Blaine hands me the pump and tells me to take care of this one. As I'm pumping it up, their yacking away, over and over again I hear her say I don't understand why my sink is plugged.
      Blaine is standing in front of the sink a few feet back and she is in the doorway. I put the pump into the sink and standing to the side. Boom, I shot the pump and forget to cover the over flow. Well Blaine took the blast right into his chest and face.
      Then right at that moment she goes, "Oh my god, I got drunk last night and I threw up in the sink, thats why it's clogged". Blaine wiped his face with a rag in his back pocket, took a look at me that could kill, and said, lets go. We left not knowing whether the sink was unplugged or not.
      Got outside, felt 2 hard smacks on the back of the head, and he said " you fricken dip ****, your day will come". I worked w/this man for 2 years, doing the shittiest jobs and I'm not kidding. I could tell lots of stories working w/that guy. Never forgot to plug the over flow from that day on. Got a new partner when I was moved over to pipe fitting and steam heating, this was a lot cleaner and I got to go home with out my mouth tasting like sh!t every night.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Gear, nice story but really could have done without the pic.

Early in my career I was working at the home of the Egyptian diplomat resetting a toilet. Beautiful house just off Embassy Row. The supply tube was leaking ever so slightly. So I looked for some toilet paper to wipe it down. None found on the paper holder. I asked the wife for a new roll and said I'd put it on for her. She glares at me and says "WE HAVE NO SUCH USE FOR YOUR AMERICAN LUXURIES!!"
        Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Early in my career I was working at the home of the Egyptian diplomat resetting a toilet. Beautiful house just off Embassy Row. The supply tube was leaking ever so slightly. So I looked for some toilet paper to wipe it down. None found on the paper holder. I asked the wife for a new roll and said I'd put it on for her. She glares at me and says "WE HAVE NO SUCH USE FOR YOUR AMERICAN LUXURIES!!"
          Ya right, their wiping their arses with silk I'm sure, or they had a fountain to clean up with.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Consider yourself lucky; I'm kicking myself for not taking more pics so you can see what had to go through.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I could never be a plumber, I hate just replacing the valves under my sinks that were placed in such a way that you need to be an acrobat just to get to them.
              On the plus side, the plumbers around here can easily make a 6 figure income.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                I could never be a plumber, I hate just replacing the valves under my sinks that were placed in such a way that you need to be an acrobat just to get to them.
                On the plus side, the plumbers around here can easily make a 6 figure income.
                "Hot on the left, cold on the right. Don't put your fingers in your mouth."

That's about all I know of plumbing. Beyond your basic 1 in 12 drop for sewage lines (minimal). And, of course...no paper except TP in the toilet. Hence the name. I get it. Being poor and owning a house means you teach yourself a lot because the plumber wants your monthly income to fix the leak!!!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

For VASandy

Poor people have a big advantage over the rich YUP-PEE types. They learn how to do things. Ever see a YUP-PEE that knows how to check fluid levels under the hood of his $100K fancy car? Ever see one even willing to try it knowing his paws will get dirty?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Consider yourself lucky; I'm kicking myself for not taking more pics so you can see what had to go through.
                    Gear

If you have any good interesting and yucky pics, PLEEEEZE post them. PC is just being a big baby if your's grossed him out. LOL

Comment

That's the beauty of being able to afford a $100,000 car, you dont have to work on it.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Gear

If you have any good interesting and yucky pics, PLEEEEZE post them. PC is just being a big baby if your's grossed him out. LOL
                        Just wait, I had just figured out at the end of that job that I could take pictures with my phone and post it on the internet. I get more pics. Never met pcrack before, but I have a feeling he's seen grosser.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Many years ago I landed an account with one of the larger mortuary's. I thought it was odd that they would have me come out for drain cleaning considering they had a plumber on staff. I soon found out why, first they had me sign a couple of releases basically stating that I would not be alone at any time while on site. As I read further it said that at any time if I was found to have molested any of the diseased I would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I asked has this been a problem in the past joking of course and the managers reply was "that is why we are having you sign it". After the paper work he took me to a dressing room where the embalmers get ready . They clothed me up in a bunch of gear just like a surgical doctor, with the plastic mask and everything. They then took me to the embalming room were they said the hoppers were backed up. I asked what is a hopper, the manager replied it is the sink in which all of the embalming fluids drain into. At this point I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He said to me that his plumber on site would not clean them anymore and they were willing to pay me whatever was appropriate for such work. I replied nothing can be worse than crap and went to work. At the end of cleaning the drain after pulling out suturing needles latex and all sorts of nasty stuff I told him it would be double what I normally charged he agreed. The company I worked for sent me every time as non of the other guys would go. On one visit as I was leaving there were three bodies ready for showing two little white old ladies and one old black man. The black man had saran wrap on and around his face and hands. This was kind of creepy, I asked one of the guys why and he jokingly said so his blackness doesn't rub off. Then he explained that the make up used on people of color will rub off in transport( on the casket clothing etc. ). I saw many other weired things over the two years I did work for them but will save that for another time . Currently I do work for the mortuary where my Dad was cremated it is always kind of freaky when I go there to.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I had to do clear the floor drain below the embalming table As I looked around the room the guy had a stereo on the shelf with an ac/dc cd next to it. Kinda creepy I thought. I had to laugh as I pictured this guy working on someone and dancing around the table with the stereo blasting.

I do work for a local abortion place to, I have to sighn a waiver before I start saying I cannot repeat anything I see or hear while in there.

Both places are creepy

Comment

Mortuaries and morgues give me the heebee jeebees too but they employ some of the most colorful people I've ever met

After seeing the process in a hospital morgue I changed my will to "immediate cremation"

Comment

Working...
                              X