X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing stories

Today I was called by one of my long time customers. I have had the opportunity to see his family grow over the years and even participate in teaching his children. Several years ago I was called out to auger one of there toilets. While auguring I removed several toys. I thought this would be a routine job and he would pay me when done. After filling out the paper work, with his 3 and 5 year old present, I presented him the bill. He then turned to his two children and said pay the man. At the time I was kind of shocked. The two children left and each returned with there piggy banks (little ceramic pigs). Then he very comely and lovingly explained to them, that they will have to take responsibility for there actions/mistakes, whether they meant them or not. Wow, at this point I had never seen a father take the time or effort to teach his children in this way. My Dad would have just called me an idiot and beat my a$$. To this day his children are some of the finest kids I have ever met.

In the other extreme, I have seen a women beat the crap out of her three teenage daughters. After, I had removed condoms from there toilet.
    Last edited by Crappy days; 06-29-2007, 02:55 AM.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Re: Plumbing stories

Not really a plumbing story but a dad story:

It's funny; sometime you don't realize how fast time goes by. I saw an Attorney on Tuesday I had not seen in some time as he now is a Senior Partner. He use to go into his office at 4 AM every morning because it was important for him to coach his boys little league team and soccer team.

While making small talk I asked him if he was still coaching little league? He replied no all three of his kids were off attending college now. He then said something like man your youngest much be 10-years old now to which I replied, no she's 28. We both were just a little embarrassed so we took some time to catch up.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I do the same thing with my kids, in fact my daughter is working with me today so she can earn the $20 to replace the dryer belt she burned out yesterday when she overloaded it.
      I use to lose my step dads tools all the time and he to would just throw a beat down on me. I think I would have respected his things a lot more if I knew the value in $ as well as the value having a 7/16 socket when you NEED one.
      Money talks. Even a kid with a quarter can tell you that.
      I ran into an old friend the other day and his "10" year old is graduating and the "8" year old just got his license.
      I don't know how I stay 30 every year and these kids keep growing up
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
        Today I was called by one of my long time customers. I have had the opportunity to see his family grow over the years and even participate in teaching his children. Several years ago I was called out to auger one of there toilets. While auguring I removed several toys. I thought this would be a routine job and he would pay me when done. After filling out the paper work, with his 3 and 5 year old present, I presented him the bill. He then turned to his two children and said pay the man. At the time I was kind of shocked. The two children left and each returned with there piggy banks (little ceramic pigs). Then he very comely and lovingly explained to them, that they will have to take responsibility for there actions/mistakes, whether they meant them or not. Wow, at this point I had never seen a father take the time or effort to teach his children in this way. My Dad would have just called me an idiot and beat my a$$. To this day his children are some of the finest kids I have ever met.

In the other extreme, I have seen a women beat the crap out of her three teenage daughters. After, I had removed condoms from there toilet.
        I hope you don't mind....that one was copy/pasted and E-mailed to my better half...been working on showing our 9 yr old what responsibility is.
        She takes the common "don't hurt his feelings" stance that mothers so often do.
        I'd rather he learn the meaning of consequences now, than have to pay for not teaching him at a later date...great story.

Comment

Everybody is afraid to tell their kids no these days or to restrict them from anything or to let them experience consiquences. Then everybody is so surprised that their kids are in so much throuble as teans and young adults.

I am commited to raising my kids to be responsible adults. We need more of em in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            Everybody is afraid to tell their kids no these days or to restrict them from anything or to let them experience consiquences. Then everybody is so surprised that their kids are in so much throuble as teans and young adults.

I am commited to raising my kids to be responsible adults. We need more of em in the world.

I could NOT possibly agree more.
            We have a country thats almost being "invaded"...foreigners with WORK ethic, they study and earn degree's, they don't whine about what they haven't got...they work hard and whether we like to admit it or not...we need 'em. (NOT an advocate for illegals here)
            I asked an indian woman I did a job for how so many Indians are so well self disciplined...she told me that disciplining your kids isn't shrugged on over there...you learn to respect your parents, your parents respect whats in your best interest.
            Our kids are more concerned with not being able to watch "Spongebob" than achieving goals set by...US.
            um...though I think we veered off topic...gimme a sec and I'll conjure a good one...hopefully.

Comment

OK...few years back we were called back to a house one of our crews had done from the ground up.
              We got there at about 8:am.
              The lady tells us she smelled rotten eggs...the GC was there with us.
              Our concern was that the other crew had forgotten a vent somewhere inside a wall.
              We relentlessly sought the source of the odor...the lady said "I can't smell it now, but it was strong earlier".
              After about an hour of running around like nuckleheads, the GC says "Ma'am...I'm gonna have to ask this bluntly....Does your husband have gas in the morning?"
              There was absolutely NO possible way we could stifle the laughter...I blew like a champagne cork, forunately...so did the woman.

Comment

My bishop once told me that all criticism should followed by love. Whenever I reprimand my son, or any one else . I try to reconfirm my love and appreciation for them. I am not perfect at this yet but am trying to apply it. I have seen good results so far with my son and family members. It can be applied with anyone even employees although I would leave out the I love you part. Maybe instead after a criticism a simple pat on the back and despite that mistake you made I really appreciate you. I don't know , anyhow just thought I would throw it out there.

Comment

Hey crappy I can tell your kids are still young. Each of my kids took a different approach. I had one son who if I didn't get called to the Dean's office once a week I figured he was cutting school. I was never physical with any of my kids but I made sure they were responsible. It's not that I didn't love them or show them love but I was often stern with them. When they needed someone to give them open unconditional love they always had their mom. That's why two parents are so important in a family.

One night after a particularly tough night with my son he told me he hated me. As tough as that was to hear I told him my primary job was not to be his friend it was to make him grow up to be responsible, if that meant he had to hate me so be it. He turned out to be a great adult but I must admit he took a few years off of me.

Mark

Comment

I totally agree and understand. In our home I am and have always been the primary disciplinarian. As a child though I can remember getting the sh*t kicked out of me along with being told I was an idiot. I just want my son to know that after every a** whooping ( time out , spanking , restriction ) I still love him. My son is only 16 months right know so he is just starting to understand ( when I say no ). Although I have had the opportunity to help out my sister with her two kids being there isn't father in the home. Its funny the difference between me telling them to do something and her telling them. My nephew is a great example nothing got through to that kid except a good spanking. Last week he asked why I don't spank him anymore when he is bad. I kinda laughed and told him , because just me telling you sternly I am disappointed in you is usually enough. Besides there are so many others way now to discipline him that are more effective.
                    Last edited by Crappy days; 06-29-2007, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Its funny but at my age now all of my kids get together and talk behind my back. They know we had plenty of love but they know I expected certain things from them. They all made it through college because we never made it seem High School was the pinnacle of their education.

A couple of years ago my youngest daughter was living in one of our homes with my youngest son and his family while they were both still attending college. One night she called me to say when my son tells her he is disappointed in her choices she feels like I am there watching over them. I know I have been an influence on my kids I just hope it was a positive influence.

Mark

BTW: What does any of this have to do with "Plumbing stories"? Perhaps you should edit your Thread Title.

Comment

Mark you should know by now I easily get distracted from the topic.

Comment

Is it even possible to change the thread title at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                            Is it even possible to change the thread title at this point.
                            I've never tried it on this site but many sites will let you do it under the first post and advanced edit.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X