Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension cords

I'm kinda new here, and I'm getting a kick out of these stories

This is not my story but I wanted to share it any how. It is not a plumber story either.

My Dad used to work in the electrical department at Home Depot, he says it never fails that around Christmas time every year that at least one guy would come in looking for a extension cord that has a male plug in on each end because after he put up his xmas lights he ended up with 2 female ends and needed a double male ext. cord to connect them.
    After he explained to them that there is no such animal and the dangers of trying to make your own that they would usually call there wife on the cell phone and say something like sorry dear they don't have them here and I am going to go try at another store!!!!!

Re: Extension cords

People have made them up to connect a portable generator into their electrical system. Doing such is very dangerous and stupid. Backfeeding can result in death, serious fires or major property damage. Do NOT try it.

Comment

They don't call them "Suicide cords" for nothing.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jeffj View Post
        I'm kinda new here, and I'm getting a kick out of these stories

This is not my story but I wanted to share it any how. It is not a plumber story either.

My Dad used to work in the electrical department at Home Depot, he says it never fails that around Christmas time every year that at least one guy would come in looking for a extension cord that has a male plug in on each end because after he put up his xmas lights he ended up with 2 female ends and needed a double male ext. cord to connect them.
        After he explained to them that there is no such animal and the dangers of trying to make your own that they would usually call there wife on the cell phone and say something like sorry dear they don't have them here and I am going to go try at another store!!!!!

Thank you for the info dude, never heard of it before, till now, I have had that problem with the christmas lights before, I just remove them and fix them the right way It is very important to plan ahead!
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          Thank you for the info dude, never heard of it before, till now, I have had that problem with the christmas lights before, I just remove them and fix them the right way It is very important to plan ahead!
          I've been meaning to ask you what you are doing after Thanksgiving. Brenda spends a couple of days with cords and lights and constructs without a doubt the Worlds largest fire hazard.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Geeze these guys must be idiots anyone one with half a braincell knows you can turn a female plug into a male plug with a couple paper clips.

Anyone with a whole braincell put stings up his lights right so they don't have to.

Comment

Yeah but ya gotta be sure and use the large paper clips, the small ones are only good for low wattage stuff like an alarm clock.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I imagine the right size finishing nail should work pretty well also.

I hear finishing nails also work well whenever you string to many xmas lights together and pop the fuses that are located in the plugin. Just cut the nail to the same length as the fuses and just swap them out. You will never have to worry about changing fuses again. Probably will have to start looking for a new place to live also????

Comment

Rather than using a finishing nail in place of the fuse, try a piece of brass rod cut to the right length. That really works, and yes it's a major fire hazard. Do any of you remember screw in "Fuse Plugs" and how putting a penny behind one (glue it on) and then screwing it back in made for an "Ever-Life_ fuse but pretty soon you smelled stinky smoke?

Comment

I can't say I really remember that, I think that was just a little before my time.
                    All the same no one(in there right mind) should actually do any of these things we have been talking about.

Comment

You can repair any fuse by wrapping it in aluminum foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Yeah but ya gotta be sure and use the large paper clips, the small ones are only good for low wattage stuff like an alarm clock.
                        Yeah....

Comment

WARNING

Please do not try doing any of the crazy things shown on this thread. It's all in fun where we are kidding each other. If something seems odd or wrong, it is wrong to do it.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM.

Comment

What? You mean I really shouldn't do this? Ah shucks. Seems like such fun too. There is a forum just for electricians on Internet, and believe it or not, one of the pix that was posted not too long ago showed that some Sparky had actually made up an extension cord with a male plug on both ends in order to connect up to a breaker box. Just the other day I had a relatively shocking experience. Case on my 350 RPM B&D drill had become hot (unbeknowns to me). Was drilling a bunch of holes with a ship auger in it after I drilled into 4x4 Doug fir with a 21/2 inch hole saw. Hole saw was mounted in my Milw. 600 rpm drill. Went to move the two drills and picked up Milw. in left hand and B&D in right hand. Milw has a 3-cond grounded cord. B&D hot case in left hand made a path through me to get to the ground provided by the Milw. All I could think of was, "What the heck is wrong with that GFCI? Then the radio went dead and I knew GFCI had kicked in. Funny how a millisecond or two can seem like an eternity when 110 is passing through. This is just the reason why I won't work anywhere without GFCI protection anymore, and make up a number of J-boxes with GFCI protection in them for all my extension cords. Be safe out there boys.
                            Jim Don

Comment

Everyone

This is where it's good to check the grounding of power tools now and then. Here is a handy device for doing such and it comes in handy for other uses too. The light must be bright when connected to a metal case part and to the round pin of the plug on the power cord.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Br...ity_Tester.php

Now if money isn't an issue and you do lots of electrical work, you should look into both of these instruments and more.
                              Note: Buying them both does get into some good money. These are not intended for the DIY market, but are for serious professional users.

http://simpsonelectric.com/main/inde...0&sid=43&ss=33

http://simpsonelectric.com/main/inde...0&sid=47&ss=33
                              Last edited by Woussko; 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X