Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check before you core!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Check before you core!!

    Super at the site where I am doing a TI sent me this email...
    His safety guy sent it to all the people at the office as a quick little reminder to make sure you know what is going on in the slab where you are about to make your penetrations...
    The person who cored this hole did not even notice they cored right through the structural steel in the slab...
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Check before you core!!

    Originally posted by markts30 View Post
    Super at the site where I am doing a TI sent me this email...
    His safety guy sent it to all the people at the office as a quick little reminder to make sure you know what is going on in the slab where you are about to make your penetrations...
    The person who cored this hole did not even notice they cored right through the structural steel in the slab...
    Somebody just bought an expensive back charge.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Check before you core!!

      what's an i beam doing in the middle of a poured slab? wouldn't it be over a wall or something?

      i do my own coring and i know that if i hit steel like that, i would have know it.

      so what do they have to do now to fix that beam?


      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Check before you core!!

        not only structual steel, you need to watch for the tension cables that are imbedded in the concrete.

        I did a job for the AMC theatres once, they were in such a rush they signed a waiver to have the concrete x-rayed before we cut a 17' long trench in the concrete, well, sure as shi* the sawcut guy hit 19 electrical conduits

        I told the guy multiple times it would be good to have an x-ray done before we cut through it, he was to concerned over the fact that 1/2 his theatre and main snake bar were shut down due to a collapsed sewer casued by the carbonation in the cast line from the soda machines.

        Invoices save your butt!
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Check before you core!!

          More than once a owner or general of a project will not x-ray one of the reasons was it had to be done when when the vicinity was clear at least 75 feet, if I remember correctly,in all directions due to radiation.This meant we could only shoot nights.The other problem was that it took almost an hour to expose and develope the image taken through 13" of concrete.We had 84 holes to do on this job.Hit 440 lighting circuit for the parking garage a few days later.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Check before you core!!

            I agree with Rick...HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW YOU ARE DRILLING THROUGH STEEL?????????

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Check before you core!!

              Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
              I agree with Rick...HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW YOU ARE DRILLING THROUGH STEEL?????????

              by hiring an 16-23 yo guy that can't speak english, and is only being paid $9.00 an hour. i have seen not this but many many other things like this and that is almost allways the reason. not to say that we don't make mistakes......... we just charge $20+ an hour to make them.






              relax i was just kiddin
              9/11/01, never forget.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Check before you core!!

                Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
                I agree with Rick...HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW YOU ARE DRILLING THROUGH STEEL?????????
                If you've ever done any core-boring you would know. There is no way a competent person could not know they were slicing right through an beam like that. maybe if they just nicked the edge of the flange, but not like this.

                As Toolaholic was quick to point in another thread probably the work of a non-union plumber.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Check before you core!!

                  I just wanna know what had to be done to fix it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Check before you core!!

                    Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    If you've ever done any core-boring you would know. There is no way a competent person could not know they were slicing right through an beam like that. maybe if they just nicked the edge of the flange, but not like this.

                    As Toolaholic was quick to point in another thread probably the work of a non-union plumber.
                    Out here we are responsible for laying out of where we want the holes cored then the coring company drills where he's told.The reasearch is "BY-OTHERS".You would think the underpaid individual would notify someone that he was feeling something major,but more than likely he was rebuked too many times for not just drilling the hole.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Check before you core!!

                      Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      As Toolaholic was quick to point in another thread probably the work of a non-union plumber.

                      That's right. And if it was a union plumber he would of drilled two holes in same fashion and billed for four, with the 2 paid 15 minutes breaks they're given.




                      Back in the day I did one that I purposely centered between the panel markings and hit a horizontal rebar that I made sure the hole was 8" above the wall ties. I just didn't have a chance, the diamond bit core drill already had two teeth missing. Thank goodness the days of equipment rental are long over...

                      That big chunk of 4" concrete is used as a door support in the garage as a reminder to never do it again.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Check before you core!!

                        I have a metal detector to find re-bar in conc. walls. Only problem with metal Q decking it wouldn't work!
                        I'd suggest drilling a seperate pilot hole 3/8" and several more just inside radius of hole to be. Can't afford not to!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Check before you core!!

                          I am just curious how this repair was made, hopefully we find out was a repair even made?
                          sigpic

                          Robert

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Check before you core!!

                            Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            not only structual steel, you need to watch for the tension cables that are imbedded in the concrete.

                            I did a job for the AMC theatres once, they were in such a rush they signed a waiver to have the concrete x-rayed before we cut a 17' long trench in the concrete, well, sure as shi* the sawcut guy hit 19 electrical conduits

                            I told the guy multiple times it would be good to have an x-ray done before we cut through it, he was to concerned over the fact that 1/2 his theatre and main snake bar were shut down due to a collapsed sewer casued by the carbonation in the cast line from the soda machines.

                            Invoices save your butt!
                            They have a theatre where you can buy snakes?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Check before you core!!

                              LOL, snack bar, my bad
                              sigpic

                              Robert

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X