• Show
Clear All

Re: Close Calls - List yours

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
    This is just stupidity

LMAO!

Comment

Back in my days pouring concrete I was pouring a footer, the builder was jabbing short upright rebar stakes behind me as I straddled the forms scraping to grade and cutting a keyway.

Lost my balance when I straightened up and fell backwards onto the forms. He had run out of stakes like 1 foot above my head when I fell down flat on the forms. Lucky is an understatement.

Growing up being forced at gunpoint to go to church, didn't want to walk in freezing weather so here comes stupid me on a 10-speed with 2" of snow on the road. It was cold, trust me.

Snow has a way of isolating sound sometimes and the common habit of riding a bike is cross the road if someone is coming behind you so they don't clip you on the bike.

Another family who gave enough care to safely transport their kids to church was the car that hit me *my fault entirely* and slid to a stop with my legs up inside the front wheel well of the car.

The car's driver applied the brakes in enough time where when it stopped on snow, it had me pinned against a non-movable set of concrete steps leading up into someones yard. To this day I have no idea how I didn't get mortally injured that day......to be up against concrete steps with my legs up over the front tire with the only bruise being my ego. <<< Someone was looking out for me, otherwise I would of died or at least been a parapalegic.

There's a few others but I'm not putting them to print.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Back in my days pouring concrete I was pouring a footer, the builder was jabbing short upright rebar stakes behind me as I straddled the forms scraping to grade and cutting a keyway.

Lost my balance when I straightened up and fell backwards onto the forms. He had run out of stakes like 1 foot above my head when I fell down flat on the forms. Lucky is an understatement.

Growing up being forced at gunpoint to go to church, didn't want to walk in freezing weather so here comes stupid me on a 10-speed with 2" of snow on the road. It was cold, trust me.

Snow has a way of isolating sound sometimes and the common habit of riding a bike is cross the road if someone is coming behind you so they don't clip you on the bike.

Another family who gave enough care to safely transport their kids to church was the car that hit me *my fault entirely* and slid to a stop with my legs up inside the front wheel well of the car.

The car's driver applied the brakes in enough time where when it stopped on snow, it had me pinned against a non-movable set of concrete steps leading up into someones yard. To this day I have no idea how I didn't get mortally injured that day......to be up against concrete steps with my legs up over the front tire with the only bruise being my ego. <<< Someone was looking out for me, otherwise I would of died or at least been a parapalegic.

There's a few others but I'm not putting them to print.
        I read all the other posts and along with mine they show how dangerous life can be wheter it's on the job or having fun, but this one stuck in my mind. I keep thinking about this kid who is a grown man now but who had to endure such abuse and it bothers me. I think something needs to be said but I'm not exactly sure what that is? Maybe we need to take a moment and think how precious life is and especially the young lives we may be trusted with. Of all the work that's discussed on this site, being a Parent is in my opinion the most important job a person can have. Dunbar, glad you made it to tell your story.

Comment

The other day i was hiding out in a plantroom having a nap and i very nearly slept past go home time.phew!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to inject some humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Australian Plumber Josh View Post
            The other day i was hiding out in a plantroom having a nap and i very nearly slept past go home time.phew!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to inject some humour.

now that was a close call
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Driving home drunk on a Friday evening. I fell asleep and drifted across the oncoming lane. I went into the ditch at an angle and the leftover personal pan pizza went airborne off the passenger seat and blasted me in the chops. I woke up and stuck my foot on the clutch by instinct. I slowed down and came to a stop about 5 foot in front of a culvert. I waited until the oncoming traffic cleared (all with eyes as big as saucers) let out the clutch and burned out of the ditch.
              Another time, driving home from the midnight shift, sober for once, only a 6-pack to wash the taste of work out of our mouths. All three of us fell asleep. I drifted into the incoming lane and was woke up by the sound of an airhorn, I jerked the wheel hard to the right, just missing an oncoming grain truck. The guy in the back seat got his head blasted off the window, the guy riding shotgun spilled his beer all over his crotch so it was pretty great. What a way to wake up. Later on I became born again and this sort of behavior stopped.

Comment

I know f sure not to drive with any of you now

Comment

It was awhile back, I was driving my grain truck, a pickup was headed straight towards me!
                  I blasted my air horn.... The oncoming truck swerved hard to the left just missing me!
                  Last edited by Davet; 02-23-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

DaveT,
                    it was a Buick, but that was a pretty hilarious, Paul Harveyish, "now you know the rest of the story."

Comment

Had a few.... stupidest was backing up pulling hose out of one manhole I was jetting from, backing right between my cones and stepping into another I had open. Smacked my head pretty good, deserved worse.

The one that sticks with me though was from a previous career. Was an engineer at a large plant, designed test rigs and facility mods for upcoming tests. Had a large water pit, needed a new level sensing arangement in it. Needed a standpipe for it so needed the lid core drilled. Pulled my prints and picked my spot. This was a union shop and I was salary; shirt and tie, get yelled at if you pick up a wrench, so I mark the spot and tell the foreman I need a hole there. Two guys are standing in the water from the drill running it when it just stops. This was like a 10" hole so a big drill. Turns out the power for the pumps was cast into the concrete lid and I had them drill right through it. This was industrial; big three phase pumps. Took out the power for that building, fried a 600 amp breaker. Fried it, not tripped it. There was a second set of prints that showed the power, it wasn't on the ones I had. I was told it was a mistake anyone could make, the prints should have shown it, power should have been in conduit on top in the first place, not my fault, they should have used their electrical tester wand thing before drilling, etc. I was on good terms with that crew, well liked. No-one else blamed me, but I did. It took a while, but I quit that job. I'll rather fall in a thousand open manholes than have to look those guys' familys in the face if I'd have got them killed.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

A guy died the day before I showed up at a local university.He was sawcutting for an electrical feed.Seemed like the entire duration of the project had ghosts.Spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Had a few.... stupidest was backing up pulling hose out of one manhole I was jetting from, backing right between my cones and stepping into another I had open. Smacked my head pretty good, deserved worse.

The one that sticks with me though was from a previous career. Was an engineer at a large plant, designed test rigs and facility mods for upcoming tests. Had a large water pit, needed a new level sensing arangement in it. Needed a standpipe for it so needed the lid core drilled. Pulled my prints and picked my spot. This was a union shop and I was salary; shirt and tie, get yelled at if you pick up a wrench, so I mark the spot and tell the foreman I need a hole there. Two guys are standing in the water from the drill running it when it just stops. This was like a 10" hole so a big drill. Turns out the power for the pumps was cast into the concrete lid and I had them drill right through it. This was industrial; big three phase pumps. Took out the power for that building, fried a 600 amp breaker. Fried it, not tripped it. There was a second set of prints that showed the power, it wasn't on the ones I had. I was told it was a mistake anyone could make, the prints should have shown it, power should have been in conduit on top in the first place, not my fault, they should have used their electrical tester wand thing before drilling, etc. I was on good terms with that crew, well liked. No-one else blamed me, but I did. It took a while, but I quit that job. I'll rather fall in a thousand open manholes than have to look those guys' familys in the face if I'd have got them killed.
                          I'm sure you felt bad even though it wan't your fault. We had an engineer give a couple of Telco splicers a print on Fordham College and told them to cut a specific cable. This manhole was not supposed to be dual use, they all thought it was Telco only. The splicer was a big young guy and as he cut through with big cable cable cutters they exploded and threw him back. He was unhurt but it turned out to be something like a three thousand volt electric feed. I would rather hurt myself than someone else. You're a good guy.

Comment

Worked for an x-ray company once. We x-rayed welds in the pipes at a refinery to check for holes or imperfections. You have a 'camera' that has a radio-active source, a tube for the source to go out and come back in, and a set of cranks to push/pull the source. Crews of two worked different parts of the refinery at night (when the sane people weren't there). One guy let a newbie hook up the source and he did it incorrectly. Pushed the source out, but did not retrieve....no telling how bad they got burned because the response from the foreman was: " I'll need your film badges tomorrow and you'll probably never be allowed to work x-ray again, orrrrrrrrr if the badges get washed in the washing machine, I'll issue you new ones tomorrow.." When I found that out I quit on the spot. Went back to construction where at least the dangers aren't as invisible....
                            Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

About 15 years ago i was on o a sewer job that had to be dug up because of a collapsed clay line. It was in March ground was saturated with water and about 10' down. dug up line shelved the sides, thought it was safe so i went down removed broken piece of clay went back to truck to get materials, got back and the ditch had collapsed, it pushed in from the sides. I still wont go in a trench with out a safety box to this day.
                              ________
                              Free wordpress themes
                              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM.
                              Mike

Comment

When I was sixteen I was working for a family owned plumbing and construction company and we where installing a new septic tank for a home owner. My job was to locate the old tank which was a small tank that was rusted out and was located less than two feet from the surface but I didn’t know that. So I was prodding the ground when I found it by falling six feet into the ground going under water and hitting bottom, I was able to stand up but found myself standing in the old tank chest deep in thick crap and cuts on my arms and legs from the rusty tank. I had to get tested for every disease in the book and get a million shots for tetanus among other things. I can tell you that a bath in poo is not fun!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not hurt bad but getting hosed down in an Oregon winter was not fun either. That was a very bad day and a close call

Comment

Working...
                                X