X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Another One :-(

It seems just about every week I found another butchered plumbing project. This work was done by a licenced master plumber. Permited and inspected by the city. This is the crap I have to deal with

Here's my latest:

Bathroom poorly remodeled 6 years ago. Now they want it done right. I break the tile floor out and this is what I find:

Pic 1 Shows a 3 x 2 PVC street tee shoved inside a quicky gasket and that gasket is shoved inside a extra heavy gasket Amazingly it didn't leak

Pic 2 Notice the close proximity of the tub trap to the toilet flange. Tub stopped up and several attempts to clear it were unsucessful.

Pic 3 PVC sanitary tee installed upside down and GLUED onto existing galvanized vent. It only leaked when they used the sink

Pic 4 Old lead wasteline from tub but vent still connected. During heavy rains water would seep out of the pinched ends

Oh and the blue stuff on the waterpipe??...as told to the homeowner...."pipe insulation" or what I like to call it: blue masking tape

ENJOY!

Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM.

Re: Found Another One :-(

bill, i take it you never read my post from a couple of years ago titled,
    "under qualified plumbers, contractors and inspectors"

i've been complaining of this for many, many years.

i don't do new construction or remodels anymore

but i do homeowner inspections before and after the city inspector.

sort of like the owners rep.

nothing surprises me anymore, with or without a city inspection. more true with combination inspectors. this applies to 2 units and less in the city of l.a.

i can't remember the last time i saw an inspector ever get dirty and crawl under a building. i guess they issue them a set of x-ray glasses when they get the job

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I hope the homeowner wasn't around when I un-covered that mess.
      I would of been non stop while taking my camera out to take pictures.

That's too funny.

I agree with Rick's post above.

At the X-Ray glasses line.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        bill, i take it you never read my post from a couple of years ago titled,
        "under qualified plumbers, contractors and inspectors"

Not yet but I will now
        i guess they issue them a set of x-ray glasses when they get the job
        I believe the standard issue for inspectors here is a blindfold
        rick.
        Aaron,
        Every piece of tile that came up was like a new discovery. When he told me what the 'plumber' had charged him I almost wept.

Comment

It's a shame poeple can't trust the fact that a person takes on the listing as a professional whether it's Contractor,Master or inspector.

Quite a few years ago I had a G/F that laughed at a guy in her store when he tried to impress her with his contractor listing to get her to take his check.She'd heard everything I'd seen over the years.

I now consider it a red flag of caution when a guy feels the need to put his bottom of a cracker jack box certification out there prematurely.

You guys would have laughed when you saw what happened to the poor kid who was driving his companies truck with "America's best plumber" painted on the side

We got a lot of shaaady characters out here too.Lots of hot air down here.

Adam

Comment

The part thats hits me is that an inspector actually passed that???
            Full S trap in-line, Fernco's, and...tell me I'm wrong...someone attempted to use cement as a seal from CI to PVC???

OK, so maybe the "plumber" sniffed too much glue that day and forgot he wasn't a doll house maker...but the inspector???

Comment

Did you actually see evidence of the previous permit/inspections; maybe the homeowner saw an "inspector impersonator"?

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                Did you actually see evidence of the previous permit/inspections; maybe the homeowner saw an "inspector impersonator"?
                Or was covering for a DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  Or was covering for a DIY.

i agree it looks like the homeowner did the project their self and when questioned about it they put the blame on someone else. I cant see a inspector anywhere in the country passing a job as bad as this one.
                  ________
                  Mercedes-Benz 300 Specifications
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                    i agree it looks like the homeowner did the project their self and when questioned about it they put the blame on someone else. I cant see a inspector anywhere in the country passing a job as bad as this one.
                    Definitely. That is just garbage plumbing.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What works in other countries does not work here
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                      X