X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At The Zoo

I've had several occassions to do telephone line work at the Bronx Zoo and something unusual or funny always happened. We always worked with at least five or six guys , placing poles or running cables. One time when we broke for lunch we started throwing scraps to the mandrills, there was one big bully among them and he kept grabbing all the food. One of the guys (Not me) brought a few hot cherry peppers the next day and when it was lunch time he stuck a few of the peppers in the scraps. That was one pissed off mandrill! I don't condone that kind of behavior but these were a lively bunch of guys. Last story, we were using a Greenlee power tugger (very strong machine) to pull cable from building to building. Our foreman told us to secure it to a six inch water pipe, we did as he instructed and the pull was really tight. That machine strained and the 3/4 inch braided nylon rope was close to letting go a few times as the pipe bucked now and then. We got the cable placed shorty before a zoo worker entered the basement to check on us. He informed us that the water pipe we used to secure the tugger was a Gas line! It was not marked and we just did as we were told but it could have turned out real bad.

Re: At The Zoo

You aren't suppose to feed the animals at the zoo
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

That mandrill had it coming.........
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        You aren't suppose to feed the animals at the zoo
        You're right, this happened about 14yrs ago. You're not supposed to throw snowballs at the polars bears either. That was a different guy on a different day. Now if that polar bear could've gotten out my co-worker would have thrown his last snowball. The zoo changed drastically from those days and although I miss the closeness of the animals it was for their own good. They are now much further from the public and in more natural looking environments. All joking aside, there is a fine balance in being able to observe these magnificent creatures and maintaining safety for them and us.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          You're right, this happened about 14yrs ago. You're not supposed to throw snowballs at the polars bears either. That was a different guy on a different day. Now if that polar bear could've gotten out my co-worker would have thrown his last snowball. The zoo changed drastically from those days and although I miss the closeness of the animals it was for their own good. They are now much further from the public and in more natural looking environments. All joking aside, there is a fine balance in being able to observe these magnificent creatures and maintaining safety for them and us.
          I knew you were gonna pull the young and dumb card My hubby does it all the time. . .he just isn't so young anymore

I love zoos. We just went to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park last month
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I knew you were gonna pull the young and dumb card My hubby does it all the time. . .he just isn't so young anymore

I love zoos. We just went to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park last month
            2 years ago we went skiing at mammoth lakes just after it had dumped for a week straight. the snow was so high that the trash trucks hadn't picked up the dumpsters in a week or more. at night time the bears would come and rummage through the trash. our condo was just 50-75' from the dumpsters.

armed with a camera and a supply of snowballs we unloaded on the bears and chased them off. of course we were up on the second floor balcony

they came back after we had gone to bed.

and yes joey was there but didn't participate.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              2 years ago we went skiing at mammoth lakes just after it had dumped for a week straight. the snow was so high that the trash trucks hadn't picked up the dumpsters in a week or more. at night time the bears would come and rummage through the trash. or condo was just 50-75' from the dumpsters.

armed with a camera and a supply of snowballs we unloaded on the bears and chased them off. of course we were up on the second floor balcony

they came back after we had gone to bed.

and yes joey was there but didn't participate.

rick.
              Let's just be clear "WE" does not include me. I was raised better
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Let's just be clear "WE" does not include me. I was raised better
                You must realize that when more than two guys get together, no matter how old they are their combined age becomes 10! I say God made us that way for a reason, so we are really doing what comes naturally. I was a victim of circumstance.

Comment

Believe me I know. I have 3 older brothers and Rick is 1 of 3 boys. My brothers tell me they spent my entire life training me to be able to tolerate being married to a guy like Rick.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Believe me I know. I have 3 older brothers and Rick is 1 of 3 boys. My brothers tell me they spent my entire life training me to be able to tolerate being married to a guy like Rick.
                    That sounds like a good excuse for messing with you when you were young. My brother in-law and his older brother use to feed pennies to their little sister. I don't think that helped to prepare her for marriage! I know what you're saying, in a way you were lucky to grow up with brothers because they did get you use to being around guys. It's sort of like growing up with pets. Well I have to say goodnite, I'll be up four or five times with aches and pains but it's better than nothing.

Comment

That sounds like a good excuse for messing with you when you were young. My brother in-law and his older brother use to feed pennies to their little sister. I don't think that helped to prepare her for marriage! I know what you're saying, in a way you were lucky to grow up with brothers because they did get you use to being around guys. It's sort of like growing up with pets. Well I have to say goodnite, I'll be up four or five times with aches and pains but it's better than nothing.
                      My brothers didn't do stuff like that. They did not prepare me for marriage. . .they prepared me to be married to a guy like Rick. If you go to the roundup you will understand
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

My brothers didn't do stuff like that. They did not prepare me for marriage. . .they prepared me to be married to a guy like Rick. If you go to the roundup you will understand
                        Sounds like a lot of fun and I hope you all enjoy yourselves. I'm a retired guy with a daughter in college and a stack of bills so as much as I would like to meet the folks I've been reading and posting with, I'll have to pass. Last week my wife was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and she will be having surgery followed up by five weeks of radiation. Her doctor has assured her this is very treatable and both she and I have a positive attitude, but it will no doubt be a physically and emotionally difficult event. Have a blast at the Roundup!

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun and I hope you all enjoy yourselves. I'm a retired guy with a daughter in college and a stack of bills so as much as I would like to meet the folks I've been reading and posting with, I'll have to pass. Last week my wife was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer and she will be having surgery followed up by five weeks of radiation. Her doctor has assured her this is very treatable and both she and I have a positive attitude, but it will no doubt be a physically and emotionally difficult event. Have a blast at the Roundup!
                          I am sorry to hear that. Tell her diaper rash cream is the secret weapon against the radiation burns

I will PM you.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I am sorry to hear that. Tell her diaper rash cream is the secret weapon against the radiation burns

I will PM you.
                            Thank you for the response. That was actually one of the questions I was going to ask. We are lucky that it was diagnosed very early, so hopefully the outcome will be good. I agree that positive attitude is very important. Progress is being made and the word "Cancer" is not as intimidating as it once was. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X