X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had a good one today

we tested all our pipes as we go along and we did 1st floor then 1st and 2nd floor then 3rd floor and cant hold pressure on the supply line .so cut the pipe and test just the 3rd floor and it is ok .now cut a 4" pvc pipe and test 2nd floor and ok . now it is 3:30 pm and we test the 1st floor and we lost pressure fast .now i can walk along the pipe and listen for the leak but because we tested it i gave the ok to insulate it .well now that there is no one working there but at this time i walked around and i can hear the air ,so i move in and cut out the insulation and there it was right where it goes up to the 2nd floor .
    we had to put a fire choke collar up agents the deck and to holed it in place my helper used a nail gun .well there was not a lot of room and he he shot a nail right into the pipe .

so now that the 2nd floor has drywall up but not finished yet we have to take it down and cut out the pipe with the hole

then the helper asked if there was some thing that we could use to just fix the hole i walked away and went home
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: had a good one today

Years ago I worked for an outfit that piped spec houses, typically 4-6 homes at a time, and we would typically have the rough frame inspection for at least 2 at a time, one particular day we were having 4 inspected, and all that was left for the AM was to set tests up, we thought piece of cake, well. That was until on 3 of 4 houses the alarm co. had drilled multiple holes in drain and vent stacks, he conveniently failed to mention it, as well as failing to sweep up his evidence(ABS shavings on all sites) He was fired when his boss got the backcharge. My boss said that if he had just told us before hand he would have fixed them free.

Greg

Comment

A little history-bathroom for a playground/pavilion. 4" sewer goes out to 130' to a cleanout. Pipe goes another 110' to a manhole. 85' from the cleanout, some guys(we don't need to name names on the orginazation) dug a 5' deep trench to place 18" concrete pipe and happened to break the sewer line. This happened 2 months ago.

Yesterday I was asked to investigate some standing water between the building and the cleanout. Pop the top and there's standing water. I figured some mud or dirt got in the line when they repaired it so I used a 3" 4 bladed cutter. Get out to about 87' and I hit the stoppage but it doesn't feel right so I trip out my cable and about 12" of the end is shiny. I call the guy who dug the trench and asked if they ever fixed that sewer line they broke. Guess what the answer was? No, they didn't. When I asked why, the sewer line and the storm pipe conflict elevations so the law of gross tonnage won. The bigger pipe stayed without a second thought to the broken sanitary line was buried hoping sewage would magically find it's way to the manhole.

So now, they want me to install a lift station to get over that 18" pipe. Oh yeah, today when they were digging to the storm drain. They hit a 1 1/4" copper service main with a pick axe. Cut clean in two. Guess what I get to do on Monday? Fix other peoples mistakes.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I did a little remodel for one of my brothers jobs, second floor bathroom, had to run the water lines in the floor since the ceiling below wasn't to be touched. His disgruntled carpenter nailed the water line, and was obviously aiming for it cause he followed it wether it was near the stud or not. I had to fix it through the bathroom ceiling below, by going through holes for fans and lights. I thought notching the joists a inch and a half would be good enough, some lessons you learn the hard way. If I ever do that type of piping again, 1/4 inch steel on top of the pipes!
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
          I did a little remodel for one of my brothers jobs, second floor bathroom, had to run the water lines in the floor since the ceiling below wasn't to be touched. His disgruntled carpenter nailed the water line, and was obviously aiming for it cause he followed it wether it was near the stud or not. I had to fix it through the bathroom ceiling below, by going through holes for fans and lights. I thought notching the joists a inch and a half would be good enough, some lessons you learn the hard way. If I ever do that type of piping again, 1/4 inch steel on top of the pipes!
          Why notching?
          We haven't notched floor joist since the eighties.Drilling gets you lower and retains more strength.

Besides that the Framer is an Idiot for thinking that he's going to convince anyone in my camp that it is anything less than his responsibility to be at least a little bit aware of what's in the vicinity of where he's nailing in a remodel.Maybe I did not have plate straps on my truck.We work together to provide the owner with a timely,quality product.I move/replace his obviously screwed up framing all the time without crying.

Sorry so late posting,just saw this morning on the front board.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 08-09-2008, 02:43 PM. Reason: I used the word vicinity twice;look at ducks response for a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Why notching?
            We haven't notched floor joist since the eighties.Drilling gets you lower and retains more strength.

Besides that the Framer is an Idiot for thinking that he's going to convince anyone in my vicinity that it is anything less than his responsibility to be at least a little bit aware of what's in the vicinity of where he's nailing in a remodel.Maybe I did not have plate straps on my truck.We work together to provide the owner with a timely,quality product.I move/replace his obviously screwed up framing all the time without crying.

Dead right.
            Aside from my responsibility to nail plate studs & joists...when anyone hits my pipes from their own error, it's on them.

I look forward to some dope hitting my lines, extra work baby!

Comment

Here ya go hawk,

I've put in almost 48 hours this week involving myself in a county fair with the second biz....

Today was an arm wrestling contest,

watched a guy tear his rotator cuff, instantly.

Got up immediately and ran off stage, rolling all over the gravel drive in back, screaming. Guy didn't stop screaming/yelling/moaning the whole time waiting for the ambulance.

Old farmboy didn't drink enough whoop-*** before the big show and got hurt, bad.

The whole time he was gripping his shoulder like he was trying to clamp it back together. I've been there and the strongest narcotics do nothing....the pain is just that intense.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Why notching?

Besides that the Framer is an Idiot for thinking that he's going to convince anyone in my camp that it is anything less than his responsibility to be at least a little bit aware of what's in the vicinity of where he's nailing in a remodel.Maybe I did not have plate straps on my truck.We work together to provide the owner with a timely,quality product.I move/replace his obviously screwed up framing all the time without crying.

I agree, and always notch. Well, almost. On this job I did this because my older bro told me to do it that way. His carpenter was supposed to watch out for the lines, but the way he followed them I'm sure it was
                intentional. (On his waY to another employer.) Lesson learned.

Tore a rotator arm wrestling? Yooowser.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                X