X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I never cut that tree down.

Had a customer today that said the house isn't cooling anymore. Arrive at the front door and notice a huge stump in the front yard. I ask the couple about the stump and they tell me that their sewer line backed up and their plumber said the line was broke and needed replacing. Their plumber also mentioned that their huge oak tree needed to go or this would happen again.

I asked if the tree being removed and the lack of cooling were about the same time. They said they never thought it but it was about the same time. I do a J manual and discover their current unit won't cut it anymore. They had a 5 year old 2 1/2 ton heat pump and now needed a 3 ton because the tree was providing a lot of shade. The attic was poorly insulated and I show them if they insulate the attic, then their current unit should work.

I asked if they wanted a second opinion on the sewer line and they said go for it. Their plumber was coming out tomorrow to replace their lateral. I hit big roots at 10' and then at 40' and 46'. I must of tripped in and out about 3 or 4 times but cleaned the line very well. I also inspected the line and found no breaks in the clay pipe just root intrusion. I recommended rootx and for me to come out in a year and inspect again to make sure the root x was working.

I ended up getting a 200$ tip for about 3 hours of work. I also love the new labtop. Before the laptop, I used to carry a blank j manual and fill in the blanks, input the data at home and then go back to the customer's house and report my findings. I had the laptop with me and was able to do 2 j manual in about an hour.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: I wish I never cut that tree down.

That tip says a lot Ben.So I take it they're not giving the other guy the $3,000(guess)sewer job.

What's a "J"manual?
    Some type form to compute all the variables of the house and put them up against the existing units abilities?

Comment

ben was the drain that bad it needed to be replaced

did you look in side it

and the roots will still be a problem for some time after the tree is down wont it
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I think before long the new laptop PC is going to be all paid off by saving you good $$$ and return trips. I'm happy that you got it.

Ben, Did you look for and talk about forced air ventilation for their attic? That alone can take a big load off their AC.
        Last edited by Old Grunter; 08-10-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

J manual figures out what size ac unit you need for a house. It takes into account the insulation, building material, windows size type, etc.

I told them to either drive some copper pipe into the stump or grind it out to kill the roots or it'll be a constant problem.

Forced air attic ventilation is good but not for everyone. On older homes it can actually suck cool air out of the house and I've seen them put out WH in attics. Insulation is a cheap long term solution that anyone can do to reduce electric bill.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Forced air attic ventilation is good but not for everyone. On older homes it can actually suck cool air out of the house and I've seen them put out WH in attics. Insulation is a cheap long term solution that anyone can do to reduce electric bill.
            One neat thing I saw on Ask TOH is that Tom Silva built a small platform using that insulation went into so that you could still store things in part of the attic when you run new insulation over the existing insulation.

Comment

ben, don't i get some of that $200, for turning you onto the k-60

adam, it was a $6,000 sewer job

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

J
                True about force venting the attic. You must have a large air inlet in the attic. You sure don't want the fan to create a partial vacuum. That can cause reverse flow in flue pipes.

I'm hoping they have a good size window in both ends of the attic or maybe lovers in both ends. Anything so their attic isn't a real oven.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  I'd be more than happy to give you some of that tip-all you have to do is beat me in arm wrestling, double or nothing.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'd be more than happy to give you some of that tip-all you have to do is beat me in arm wrestling, double or nothing.
                    INSTIGATOR!
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                      Rick...My friend...My Good Friend...Where would we be had it not been for Utah enlightening us years ago.Would we not be dragging our drums.

Thank you for sharing with the forum the true price of the sewer that Ben postponed the homeowner from having to pay.With the annual/bi-annual Root-X treatments hopefully they can go without replacement for a decade or two.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Rick...My friend...My Good Friend...Where would we be had it not been for Utah enlightening us years ago.Would we not be dragging our drums.

Thank you for sharing with the forum the true price of the sewer that Ben postponed the homeowner from having to pay.With the annual/bi-annual Root-X treatments hopefully they can go without replacement for a decade or two.
                        adam, are you coming out of the closet

do you own a sectional and have just ben yanking my chain all this time

it's ok adam, i'll understand

don't ask, don't tell

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          True about force venting the attic. You must have a large air inlet in the attic. You sure don't want the fan to create a partial vacuum. That can cause reverse flow in flue pipes.

I'm hoping they have a good size window in both ends of the attic or maybe lovers in both ends. Anything so their attic isn't a real oven.
                          Hey I'm new and lurking reading these posts. I tried real hard but I can't picture the "lovers" at both ends of the attic.

Comment

Adam, I recall seeing a picture of your garage and I saw nothing but drums in there...unless they are in the garage because the K-60 is in the truck?
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                              Adam, I recall seeing a picture of your garage and I saw nothing but drums in there...unless they are in the garage because the K-60 is in the truck?
                              You saw what was in the van.
                              Remember

Comment

Working...
                              X