X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 1" jetter and the toilet

back in the '80's i worked for the deparment of public works here in rankin. every year we would clean all of the sewer mains in town.

one year a house was moved to a part of town known as "area 5". a guy by the name of Ian owned the house.

i would run the high pressure hose up the main to the previous manhole, then throttle up to max rpm and begin pulling in the line. 1400psi from a 1" line, i like it!

so we're working away when all of a sudden Ian comes running over to waving his arms yelling at me to shut the sewer cleaner down.

out of breath, he asked what the h*ll we were doing?
    i told him, "cleaning the sewer mains, why?"

he motioned me to follow him to his house. then he led me to the bathroom and stopped at the doorway.

i looked into the bathroom and there was water everywhere. i looked in the toilet bowl and there wasn't a drop of water in it.

i guess he positioned his house juuuust a little too close to the main. Ian said that it was quite a loud bang when the water hit the ceiling.

the only advise i could give him was to install a offset in his sewer service.

i also told him, "it could have been worse." Ian asked, "how."

i said, "you could have been sitting on the toilet.

Re: the 1" jetter and the toilet

How big was the line? 6",8",12" what?What was the GPM? 40,60,or 80 gpm ?I have seen this happen at apt. complexs,and has heard of toliets been blown off the flanges(I have never seen this).-did the homeowner park on top of the main trying to save money on pipes?
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Re: the 1" jetter and the toilet

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
      How big was the line? 6",8",12" what?What was the GPM? 40,60,or 80 gpm ?I have seen this happen at apt. complexs,and has heard of toliets been blown off the flanges(I have never seen this).-did the homeowner park on top of the main trying to save money on pipes?
      i don't know how many gpm the v-4 engine and pump is capable of. i do know that at full throttle, i was only able to hold the line for about 10 sec before i had to let go.

if memory serves me correct, 6" PEHD main.

at a $1000/ft, it appears the original HO was trying to save a buck.

Vince

Comment

Working...
      X