X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny drilling stories

(this is my first post)I am drilling with my 12v drill and have the thing in reverse and I am just standing there and realize my mistake and turn the drill on forward and a couple minutes later when suddenly I break through with my bit and I fall forward and trip.

Re: funny drilling stories

I have to say you put a smile on my face, thanks, some days go like that.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Those drill in reverse moments get you sometimes . I had a similar brain fart moment recently hanging drywall with self tapping screws on steel studs. I kept pushing in and the screws just wouldn't tap in. Kept cursing trying screw after screw until I realized I had accidentaly nudged the direction switch on the screw gun to reverse. oops

Comment

I usually stop what I'm doing when I have this kind of thing happen -- then I look around quickly to see if anybody has been watching or saw me being stupid. Then I change course and act like nothing ever happened.
        Cheers,
        Jim Don

Comment

i was in montreal and i was in the basement of a house adding a branch to the hwh system.

i had the cabinet in place and was getting prepared to drill a hole through the cabinet and wall for the pipe.

i center punched the back of the cabinet and lined up the hole saw. i was all lined up and level. i hit the trigger. the center bit cut through it like a snow knife through rotten blubber.

the 1" bit started to grab the cabinet when it caught an edge (the drill i was using was a RIDGIDtm but i can't remember what model it was). normally, all you do is let go of the drill right? I've never been called normal.

for some reason i thought i would get a really good visual and had positioned my head about 3-4" from my right trigger hand.

when the hole saw grabbed and the drill started to turn, i effectively punched myself in the jaw with the handle of the drill. i saw stars and northern lights.

i still laugh to myself when i think about all the dumb things i've done in my life. especially when i was a younger man.

Comment

thought you were drilling in the southern hemispheres?

Comment

You ought to try and figure out what is wrong with your threader when it just will not start threads on the end of a piece of pipe.............cause it is running in reverse.............duh!!

or when someone takes the blade off of your band saw, turns it inside out and then puts it back on.................will not cut nothing, and it was just working fine.

Comment

I used to switch the threading into reverse then watch as one of my coworkers would set up to thread a piece of pipe and just assume that the machine was in forward and then curse the f*****g machine up and down when it wouldn't thread and then I would walk over and switch it back to forward and laugh uncontrollably.

Comment

a good trick was turning the hacksaw blade around teeth facing backward . still cuts with twice the effort but half as fast.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

one of the plumbers on our last job was drilling a hole in the top plate for the vent and the right angle holehawg caught and slapped him square in the jaw. The master plumber was ribbing him pretty bad over it, telling him that a "smart plumber" would brace the drill against the wall, not his face... luckly it didnt hurt him to bad, just a red mark on his cheak, think Tommy Boy.... lol

I have done the reverse thing on my collated screw gun a couple times... was getting pretty irritated, and then realized my mistake. The frustrating part was that the screws in reverse will plow right through the backer board, but when they hit the stud they just spin. I was a bit confused until I realized I was an idiot! lol

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      a good trick was turning the hacksaw blade around teeth facing backward . still cuts with twice the effort but half as fast.

rick.
                      True, but it can also of help when cutting thin materials, metal especially.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

yes, but this was on 3/8''- 1/2'' all thread.

thin metal can be spring clamped between 2 masonite boards and also easily cut with little to no distortion.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          yes, but this was on 3/8''- 1/2'' all thread.

thin metal can be spring clamped between 2 masonite boards and also easily cut with little to no distortion.

rick.
                          For all-thread I always liked a 16 or 18 tooth blade. 24 would take too long and anything with less teeth was a pain too.
                          With a 16 or 18 tooth blade 3/8" rod was only a couple strokes, then use the channelocks to take the burr off the end (if you had one) and you were in business.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Circular saw blade or chainsaw chain on backwards is always fun. 18" bit drilling through closet in apt building and pulled back clothing from apt behind! I have actually taken a carb apart thinking it was defective when ...get this... I forgot the machine had a fuel shut off valve! When this happens it's time to consider assisted living. Frank

Comment

haha, I didnt want to say, one tired day I was attempting to drill with a #2 drywall screw tip...

Comment

Working...
                              X