X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turned down a new customer?

walked from one today. guy calls last saturday and i tell him i'll probably not make it then but i'll try. he seems ok with it. call on saturday and get a complicated company voice mail but i'm not sure which box to respond to. hmmmm, let's try sales as that probably gets checked more often than not. no reply on saturday or sunday (yesterday). guys calls today wanting to know where i was on friday. i go over the reason(s) and my calls, etc.

long story short, i go over and as i'm getting out of the van this clown starts with, "i know how you guys operate. i'll be watching every step if the way. you'll not get your screws into me."

i go ahead and look at the potential job. back to back toilets blocked, no cleanout, and this gut with his nose almost up my butt he's so close to me. all along i'm hearing screaming and cursing from the sales area. sounds like a deadbeat (the company) trying to avoid paying an invoice.

red flage waving, red lights flashing and sirens wailing in my head. i told the guy, i wasn't going to be able to help him and got in the van

sometimes it's just not worth the effort

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

haha thats funny, just left him standing there. Like I always say.... its nice to have work, but don't want all of it, some of the other contractors need work also. In other words let them deal with the dead beats. I don't blame you one bit. I guess I would have left when he made the smart @ss comment.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        This thread defines the difference between Wisdom and intelligence. You went with Your Gut

Mine , rarely lets Me down. She probably has a track record of abusing tradesman!

Hey. Abused tradesman, and the Woman Who love Them! Tonight at 9:00
        Since there is a "difference" are you saying he lacked wisdom or intelligence when he went with his gut?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This thread defines the difference between Wisdom and intelligence. You went with Your Gut
          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Since there is a "difference" are you saying he lacked wisdom or intelligence when he went with his gut?

Mark
          Maybe Tool is suggesting he didn't go with either wisdom or intelligence and he only went with his gut
          Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 11-25-2008, 01:50 AM. Reason: Mark is mean
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

are you saying i don't use my brain

although i've been known to work for food

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Mine , rarely lets Me down. She probably has a track record of abusing tradesman!

Hey. Abused tradesman, and the Woman Who love Them! Tonight at 9:00
              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              Maybe Tool is suggesting he didn't go with either wisdom or intelligence and he only went with his gut
              Touche and point well taken. As you know your husband much better than either tool or I, we will yield to your suggestion that he used neither wisdom nor intelligence.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                are you saying i don't use my brain

rick.
                Nope. You just did.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Nope. You just did.
                  A gut is a terrible thing to waste.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    had a call from a so called old customer. they had a main line stoppage and wanted it snaked and camered. i was booked solid and told her that i can make it tomorrow. i'll call her tonight, but can't find any history on her

so i call her tonight to scuedule and ask her again where she got my #. once again she stalls and comes up with the fact that her husband is out of town and i've worked for them before. still can't find any contact info on my data base. no first name, last, phone, address etc.

tell her i don't work for complete strangers. ask her again where she got my # and she says her husband is out of town and has a few different businesses, but can't come up with 1 name to reference.

so after explaining to her that i only work by referral and unless she has a track record or referral, i'm not interested.

basically she has already lied to me and can't even lie good enough to fool me. she can't even remember any names for her husband's businesses

was i too hard or just too cautious

i don't work for complete strangers. i need at least a referral or reference

rick.
                    Gee I wish I had a business like yours Rick "where you don`t work for complete strangers" if that is the case how did you start your business, I would say complete strangers who became you clients and who referred you to others and this is the way we all built our plumbing businesses from complete strangers

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      Gee I wish I had a business like yours Rick "where you don`t work for complete strangers" if that is the case how did you start your business, I would say complete strangers who became you clients and who referred you to others and this is the way we all built our plumbing businesses from complete strangers

Tony
                      i started with my uncle at age 12/ 1975 working summers and weekends. by 13 i had my own milwaukee top snake. all of my work was from neighbors and friends parents.
                      at 18/ 1981 i went into the union doing new construction plumbing. i always did service on my time. so at age 31/1994 i left construction and went into full time service and repair.
                      so 14 years later, i built up a large client base from all the years of referrals.
                      referrals from homeowners, and other contractors.

other than a magnetic business card. i've never spent a dime in advertising. and i typically travel 5-6000 miles a year

all good things take time and doesn't happen overnight

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X