Tools Stolen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools Stolen

The guy that lives with us saw head lights at 6:00pm by one of my sheds. He assumed it was us returning and loading something off/on. The lights left and after a few minutes they returned. Thinking this would be strange for us to do, he went out to investigate and they took off. By the time he got into his van to chase them, they were long gone.

Now I'm going to have to spend half the night hiding in the woods waiting for them to return.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I worry about this. My insurance guy said I can get insurance for the equipment in my van, which I'm probably going to get. I need to make an itemized list of all my tools for him.

In the meantime I use the "Unbreakable Car Bar" steering column lock, and the brake lock made by the same company. http://unbreakable.com/

I chain lock my new camera to the mini jet. I also chain lock my small machine to my back door, and my big machine to the side door, In case of a smash and grab scenario.

I know it's not completely theft proof, but I'm not going to make it easy for them.

Comment

I have tool insurance for all my tools on my truck. For a $8,000 policy, it cost me an extra $11 a month with a $100 duductable it just gives a good peice of mind. And well worth it.
        Last edited by PlumbingParamedics; 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM.
        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I lived and worked in The Bronx, NY many years and losing cars, trucks, tools and personal items was a common occurance. The best defense is a good offense, assume you are going to be the victim of a crime and do your best to be prepared. We bought custom made shackles that covered the ignition cylinders and steering columns, installed alarms, fuel cutoff switches and even installed our own chains and padlocks on the hoods and trunks.
          I think I would move if I had to live like that. Red
          Red

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
            I worry about this. My insurance guy said I can get insurance for the equipment in my van, which I'm probably going to get. I need to make an itemized list of all my tools for him.

In the meantime I use the "Unbreakable Car Bar" steering column lock, and the brake lock made by the same company. http://unbreakable.com/

I chain lock my new camera to the mini jet. I also chain lock my small machine to my back door, and my big machine to the side door, In case of a smash and grab scenario.

I know it's not completely theft proof, but I'm not going to make it easy for them.
            I hate to disappoint you, but the unbreakable brake and column locks will only protect you from inexperienced criminals. I have seen those items defeated in a matter of seconds by the pros, seriously. The either muscle them off, hacksaw the steering wheel or use R12 to freeze the lock cylinder and shatter it with a dent puller. The professional thieves do nothing but practice defeating these mass produced antitheft devices. You have to think beyond the mass produced!

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
              I think I would move if I had to live like that. Red
              Red, I was born and raised in The Bronx and over the years the crime did increase quite a bit. There was no money to move away from where my Dad worked . When I got married we moved to the suburbs, but you know crime is all over and getting worse all the time. My neighbor in Ct where I have lived for twenty years is a retired detective from our town and he said he remembers that years ago they had eleven bums who he could recall by name. Now he says there are well organized gangs and they have large numbers. We can try and keep running if we don't have children in school and other obligations that keep us rooted but situations are often the same elsewhere. I think many towns that we relatively crime free are now having to deal with a society in chaos. That's why I take my attitude of alertness and preparedness with me no matter where I am. Criminals have the upper hand when people are lax and at ease living in an illusion of security. I hate to instill fear in folks, but people bent on stealing your property or harming you or your loved ones are not restricted in their travel. When I watch the News and listen to folks being interviewed where a violent crime has occured and hear them say "nothing like that has happend around here", or "this is a good neighborhood", I just shake my head in disbelief. Lock up your valuables and lock your door, it just may save your life!

Comment

Frank,
                How right you are. No matter where you live, you are now in danger. If you don't believe or understand that you just don't get what is happening in this society. As our economy continues to go bust, crime will rise as the first casualty in this situation will be the loss of civil order. On the safeguarding one's tools, there are certain items that will get thru almost anything in a short period of time. The first being DeWalt's cordless grinder with the 1/16th inch cutoff disks, There are no locks, bolts or shackles this thing won't cut thru in a heartbeat. One criminal was recently arrested using one and he had an extra grinder in his car with about a half dozen fully charged batteries to go with it. Nothing like being prepared. (I'd like one for metal work out in the field but cannot afford the cost right now.) The other is a really good pair of bolt cutters -- I happen to have two of these -- the old NKP cutters with the solid metal handles, 36-inchers. (The hollow handle ones that you buy now will fold like a house of cards.) One of them, I hardfaced the cutters with my stick welder -- they will now chomp thru case hardened locks like nothing --I use them for work, not for breaking in. There are lots of other tools to make criminals lives easier too. One of the advantages a lot of states have is concealed carry permits. Where I live, Wisconsin, the state still disallows that idea. Our politicians are just too STUPID to get the concept that gun laws will not keep criminals from carrying guns. That's why we call them criminals in the first place -- laws mean nothing to them.
                JIm

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                  The first being DeWalt's cordless grinder with the 1/16th inch cutoff disks, There are no locks, bolts or shackles this thing won't cut thru in a heartbeat.

Master hidden shackle hasp

Master "Hockey Puck" hidden shackle padlock

That plate hasp isn't wimpy, I'd say it's about 7 gauge steel, powder-coated. Weld over the mounting bolts, and the cordless grinder will take a good, long time getting through it. And makes lots of pretty sparks that can be seen for quite a distance.

The hockey puck becomes the vulnerable site. It can be drilled. The "American" branded puck is basically the same as the Master (Master & American Lock are the same company). But there are higher-security pucks available that can't be drilled, or are hard to drill. The Mul-T-Lock is a good one, quite difficult to bypass via drilling. It's about $100 lock with keys @ $25 each (for a good reason).

I have a totally un-drillable puck, I don't think even my safe bits will touch it, and a rounded top, but it's a $300 puck, & I rarely sell them.
                  Regards,
                  Al S.

Comment

Our fleet uses the American hockey puck like that. Only break ins were because someone forgot to put the puck on I broke my key off in the lock once. Spent most of the afternoon drilling it out after I removed the 2 hasps.

I think it would be easier just to steal the whole truck and take it somewhere to cut the locks off.

Comment

The point of locks is to make the effort too high for the reward. You only need a locking system that makes the door/hatch/whatever not be the weakest point.

Given enough time, nearly any lock can be bypassed or compromised. You want the lock to tell people, "too much trouble", not "there's a million bux behind this lock." Sometimes more lock is counterproductive.

For an inexpensive lock, the plate hasp + hockey puck have an excellent bang/buck ratio.
                      I broke my key off in the lock once
                      I get a buck a minute, $15 minimum (in-shop), to extract broken keys . Service call fee for field work, $55 within five miles. Lots of special tools to do that job, but I don't use them all, all of the time. Usually, a broken key means the key was a poor copy, the lock had never received maintenance (never lubricated), or in automotive, the keys are just made wimpy to start with (Nissan/Subaru, Toyota, etc.) and the blade wore too thin. Having a deep cut in the first position (nearest the head) creates a weak area that's prone to breakage too -- my favourite extraction are those, no special tools needed.
                      Last edited by asavage; 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM.
                      Regards,
                      Al S.

Comment

I have an enclosed trailer that I keep a lot of woodworking tools for use on site. I haven't had a problem yet, but I have put locks at every conceivable place. Two types of locks on the hitch, locks at every entry point, and a wheel boot that stops access to the lug nuts. I don't think it's impossible to steal, but they would have to work pretty hard at it hopefully.

Comment

Yeah! It's one thing to steal somebody's money, or a car, but stealing the tools a guy earns his living with, must indicate an unusually despicable excuse for a human being. A life form that doesn't deserve to exist above grass!
                          It should be legal to set your Dobermann on them, or use your rifle.
                          Few things set me off like disrespect for fine tools, and taking away someones daily bread!

Comment

The only solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Comment

I was working on a house one time in the Washington D C suburbs. I was drilling out a house to do rough in plumbing. all of a sudden my drill quit working. I clicked the switch a few times still nothing. I could hear the generator running So I figured the cord slipped out the electrical outlet. I went to the window and saw 2 kids running down the street with my generator still running. I was 3 stories up by the time I got down to the ground level and outside they were out of site. Went back to the shop and got another generator and a logging chain and chained it to a tree.
                              Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

people are animals
                                Duct Tape Fixes Everything

Comment

Working...
                                X