X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools Stolen

I drove 400 miles checked into a Motel. Parked my truck Right in Front of the motel under the parking lot camera. My Tool Boxes were chained up in the back of the truck.

When I went to get in the truck the next day MY TOOLS WERE GONE and the motel said there was nothing they could do the camera was broke and the Police took a report
    Last edited by OleTom; 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM.
    Life is Good, OleTom
    http://ConstructionWorkers.US

Re: Tools Stolen

They are liable to certain extent. You have to check with your states motel/hotel security laws.

Mainly, by installing cameras, lights etc. the motel presents a certain amount of security that they wish to attract customers with. If you chose this place, parking spot because of the security, then they can be held liable. You will have to go to court though.

Comment

im sorry to here about this

rosie can help if she can get up

Hosted on Fotki
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Nothing sucks more than having your tools stolen. Most of the guys I work with have all had tools stolen, from one of our own crew members! The boss doesn't get involved, but we all keep a close eye on our stuff when working with him. He has this particular fetish for stealing pry bars.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

That's rough OleTom.I hope you have backup tools already.As much as I dislike the task,I usually pack the tools into the room,then repack when leaving.Good Luck from now on.
          Kenneth Collier
          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
          Jackson, MS 39206
          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Sorry to hear about this, it's probably something every member of the forum has gone through. The day is coming when a GPS type tracking device will be available that we can hide inside our tools. That will make a whole bunch of bad people into honest citizens, until then pick up an old tool box at a garage sale pack it full of dog poop and leave it in the back of your truck.

Comment

I use to drive an old Skaug roughin truck which the bed was pretty much open but had compartments under the bed. I use to keep an old craftsman tool box in the back of the truck with old broken tools. More than once the thief took the sacrificial box and left the real tools alone.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                Sorry to hear about this, it's probably something every member of the forum has gone through. The day is coming when a GPS type tracking device will be available that we can hide inside our tools. That will make a whole bunch of bad people into honest citizens, until then pick up an old tool box at a garage sale pack it full of dog poop and leave it in the back of your truck.
                You mean like was mentioned here?
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21854
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

That really sucks and I hope that who ever stole them gets hurt real bad using them!

The HD up the street from me is a hot spot for tool theft. I've wanted to have my son go up in his truck with some stuff in the back and park a few cars from me. I'd be in my cabover with a few buddies and some base ball bats waiting to catch em. Stealing the tools people use to feed their family is the worst of the worst in my book!
                  Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

He has this particular fetish for stealing pry bars
                    You should ask him how he likes wearing them.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=HVAC HAWK;192527]im sorry to here about this

rosie can help if she can get up

She looks ferocious with her baby
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Check around at the local and nearby pawn shops in that area the next time you are there, you may find some of your tools there. I hope the cops can nail em. Sorry for your bad luck. No one should have to work so hard and then get threre possesions stolen by some crack head.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                          That really sucks and I hope that who ever stole them gets hurt real bad using them!

The HD up the street from me is a hot spot for tool theft. I've wanted to have my son go up in his truck with some stuff in the back and park a few cars from me. I'd be in my cabover with a few buddies and some base ball bats waiting to catch em. Stealing the tools people use to feed their family is the worst of the worst in my book!

It seems like every time I go into a HD I see at least 1 truck w/ a bunch of tools or a compressor or generator or whatever just sitting in the back of the truck. I assume the guy thinks he's just running in to grab screws or nails or whatever, but that is plenty of time for somebody to grab yor stuff and go. I just can't believe it. It is a bummer that we have lock everything up now, but it is what it is.

On the pawn shop note, one of my friends had some stuff stolen from his house that ended up in a pawn shop. The police get a record of everything pawned at all of the pawn shops in my city so when you turn in a report they can check to see if any of it has turned up. I don't know if every city has something like that, but if your stuff does get stolen it is something to look into.

Comment

I had my entire van stolen, i lost a BRAND NEW general power vee drain cleaner, and a brand new snap on digital multimeter, along with some other expensive hand tools. Also they took every item of stock out of the van.....even my wax seals and silicone.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I lived and worked in The Bronx, NY many years and losing cars, trucks, tools and personal items was a common occurance. The best defense is a good offense, assume you are going to be the victim of a crime and do your best to be prepared. We bought custom made shackles that covered the ignition cylinders and steering columns, installed alarms, fuel cutoff switches and even installed our own chains and padlocks on the hoods and trunks. Thieves can still tow your vehicle if they are determined. I strongly urge you all to engrave or otherwise mark your tools and diagnostic equipment. I know this can take away from their looks but it will be more difficult for thieves to pawn items that are heavily marked with identification. Just as sure as honest hardworking folks rise to meet the day, so do criminals and they are professionals in their own right. Be prepared!

Comment

Working...
                              X