X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What things have you seen on the job?

Ive only been doing plumbing 7 yrs and have seen some bad things happen to people and buildings.
    Ive watched a 4 story apt building burn to the ground. U know for all the fire caulk and collers they make us use. It still only took 30 min to flatten that building.
    Fire sprinkler that was suppost to be a dry system still had some water let in it, froze and split the pipe. Flooded 2nd floor apt 2 ft with water until the floor trusses broke. Nice hole in the floor.
    Guy was digging with back hoe. Hit are water service, that happen to be right next to a live transformer. Washed out all the dirt under it. Crazy
    Watched a roofer walk backwards right off a 2 story building. Real crazy he got up stood there for a moment dazed, shook it off and got back up there.
    Walked up on a guy just standing there not moving or saying anything. i asked him whats going on and he just mumbled something. Was turning to leave and looked down and saw there was a nail shot through his foot. He was in such shock that he couldnt do anything. Plus his foot was nailed to the floor.
    Those are some of the crazy things ive seen so far.
    What stories do yall have.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-27-2008, 12:35 AM.

Re: What F up things have u seen on the job?

Somebody wrapped a turd around the basement ventbar rough-in.

Comment

Re: What F up things have u seen on the job?

I used to be an engineer for a nationwide phone company and I saw some funny stuff there. I saw a guy on a job park a cement truck near a 5 foot deep trench. Guess what? Trench collapsed and the truck went w/ it.

They use these underground vaults to house electronics and they come out to the job in 2 sections, top and bottom. They are solid concrete and weigh a sh1tload. Being the cheap asses they are, they try to use the smallest crane possible to p/u the sections and set them. I saw one crane fall over. Then they had to get the crane they should have used in the first place to p/u the original crane.

Then there was stuff I didn't see, but we would get safety bulletins about and pics of. One I remember was a guy in a boom that touched a power line. Somehow, none of the crew got hurt, but the power went through the truck and grounded into the concrete. It melted parts of the truck, blew out the tires and turned the concrete into what looked like lava rock. They pulled up the sidewalk and sent sections of it out to all the offices as a reminder. It was nuts what that did to the concrete. It literally had the texture of lava rock.

The worst one, that obviously we didn't get pics of, just a bulletin, happened to a guy working for the power co. The were putting up aerial cable and he was riding in a boom mounted on truck stringing up the steel cable that supports the power cable. They got near the end and didn't notice that the steel cable had gotten hung up near the begining. When the force of the truck pulled the cable and got it unstuck, it whipped the guy in the bucket righ tin the neck and decapitated him and knocked him out of the bucket. He was wearing a harness and so he ended up hanging from the bucket for several hours until OSHA was done w/ their investigation. One of the most amazing/disgusting/tragic things I have ever heard. Sorry to be a bummer, but be careful out there. These guys and the guys that almost got electrocuted had 15-20+ years of service each.

Comment

Re: Lorry Crane

Originally posted by lorrycra12
        Hi,
        Though the overall numbers of Whooping cranes are increasing as a result of the captive crane breeding programs, many of the captive reared birds have failed to reproduce in the wild. You can get more information from www.spam.com
        Are you on crack? What does this have to do with anything? Spammer.
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-22-2009, 01:38 AM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Re: What things have you seen on the job?

I had a stunning woman in a see through negligee answer the door one morning when I needed to get to the mechanical room (Housing in Eielson AFB AK), when I was doing heating/plumbing/pipefitting. I actually turned around and left, there was no way in hell was I going to put myself in a spot and I was in my mid 20's at the time and single. Now that was a sight to see, I didn't stammer or anything, but I did know better.

One day later I went back to do what I intended to do, she apologized and said that she thought her husband came home, ya right as if he'd knock on his own door. If you saw this woman, you'd understand why I have never forgotten about this.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Re: Lorry Crane

Originally posted by lorrycra12
            Hi,
            Though the overall numbers of Whooping cranes are increasing as a result of the captive crane breeding programs, many of the captive reared birds have failed to reproduce in the wild. You can get more information from www.spam.com.

I'm pretty sure the cranes they used were not whooping cranes, they were the kind of cranes that come out on a truck and then have to be put together on site by another smaller crane. Maybe that is what you mean by a whooping crane. Although, if it was my crane I would keep it at my yard, not in the wild.

I'm assuming this is some spammer that searches forums for the word "crane".
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-22-2009, 01:39 AM.

Comment

bots are dumb

Comment

I was working on a condo once, replacing a compressor in an outdoor unit for an upper level unit. The ground level unit had a window right over the outdoor units. I was just topping off the charge when I heard a knock on the window. I looked up and there she was. A 70+ year old lady, half naked and pressed up against the window.

I have more but they get worse from there. Some probably shouldn't be told in a public forum.

Comment

i saw a digging crew hit a gas main the whole job got closed down for two days

Comment

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH!

When I worked for a local rooter co. years ago I had to go to a gay bar to unstop a sewer during "Southern Decadence", which is a gay festival held in the French Quarter every year. Many thousands of gay men from around the country pack the quarter dressed as women, sailors, and cops during the festival.

So I get to the bar, which is packed, loud dance music playing, and the nearest bartender yells to me it's the downstairs restroom over there. I went into the restroom and open the first stall door.

There are two guys in there. Do I need to elaborate?

So I go back to see the bartender, and yell to get his attention. He comes over and as I tell him that there are two guys f'n in the stall, I see a naked pair of legs pass between us belonging to the 1/2 naked male stripper that's dancing on the bar. He immediately comes from behind the bar, goes to the stall. pushes the door open and kicks the two guys out.

It's worse than I thought. The commode is pushed to the side because of the loose bolts, and there's toilet paper piled on the floor. Somebody took a dump on the floor. I' m guessing it's because they did not want to sit on the "dirty" seat. Oh and there is a cup surrounded by waste and T.P. in the bowl.

I'm ready to run.

I look at my latex gloves to make sure there are no holes in them, and to think some plumbers laugh at me for wearing latex gloves. I don't even want to touch anything with my gloves. totally skeeved at the situation and the things I've seen.

I push the commode with my foot back into position over the flange. I reach into the commode and pull out the cup, and think, let's flush it and see what happens. It rises all the way to the top, I say "F", and it flushes, YES!!!

I flush it two more times, and it works. I tighten one of the bolts with my channel locks that I had brought in with me. The other bolt spins in place, to hell with it, I'm out.

Collect, No Warranty, Have a nice day.

Tell the dispatcher, they call again, IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S TURN

I have other stories but this took forever to type.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Get yourself a pair or two of the long pregnancy gloves veterinarians use on cows. They are VERY heavy duty and go all the way up to the shoulder. When the gay guys see you with them on next time, they will think it is inspection time!

Comment

My best friend runs a grading company and he actually made the news one night. One of his guys hit a water main that was not marked by the general (who was contractually obligated to mark all utilities) and it flooded 9 houses. I went out there the next day and it was incredible. It looked like a hurricane and come through these homes. Each one was about 6 inches deep in mud throughout the enitre house and there was a mark about knee high on everything where the water had been. It was incredible, I have never seen that much water damage in a house before.

It was kind of cool that he made the news though. And, needless to say, the 9 home owners got together and sued EVERYBODY. They sued his company, the owner personally, him personally, the guy on the excavator, the water district, the general, etc, etc. They had something like 12 defendants in that case. Lucky for my buddy he had it written into his contract that utility protection/marking was the GC's job.

As for the last story about the gay bar, I really do not envy you plumbers. SOmetimes I wonder (like now) why you don't just say sorry and leave. You are better men than me.
                        Last edited by bulldog8b; 01-27-2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Several years ago I was on a job in Boston. Just down the road from us a painter was setting up for a three story interior/exterior job. The home was a typical Boston area older home, all wood exterior. The customer arranged to have the job done while he and his family left for a two week holiday. Before the customer and his family left we saw the two of them at the curb talking and the customer pointing to the roof of the house above the third story porch. It turned out that the customer was showing the painter where a bee-hive was, just under the soffit. For some reason the painter thought that it would be really easy to get rid of the bees by just burning them out. I don't think that the customer could have been gone thirty minutes into the holiday before the first fire trucks showed up.

Twelve years ago I had a company that sold and installed pallet racking. I was installing racking in a new warehouse for a food distribution company. In one 14,000 sq. ft. area the new company had the existing roof removed and added an additional sixteen feet to the existing fourteen foot walls, then capped the new roof with an arched metal roof. A company came in and installed eighteen inch thick Styrofoam type insulated panels inside the concrete walls of the building to make the entire area a giant 14,000 sq. ft. freezer. All of the condensers were in the domed roof area above the roof insulation. I remember that the owner of the food distribution company hollered at me to 'move faster'. He told me not to worry so much on getting my racking so perfectly straight. I told him that I only install one way, and that is doing it properly, and that f anything were to happen, having all of the rack in the building squared off and all aisles perfectly straight would minimize any damage.
                          Four months later there was a storm that dropped almost two inches of freezing rain. The roof would have held up if that was all that it had to hold up. Unfortunately the twenty-four inch insulated roof panels were only meant to hold up themselves, not any equipment. Somehow the GC and the person that designed the building decided that they would allow the condensers to be installed above the roof panels and attach to the roof panels. They think that even that might have held everything up. What the roof couldn't hold up was the combination of two inches of freezing rain, the condensers, and the four to five foot thick ice sheet that built up between the non-insulated steel roof and the Styrofoam insulated panels above the freezer. I was told that I saved the company about $100,000 in clean up and re-structuring costs because my racking held the roof up for the most part. I only lost seven rack frames that collapsed. You should see what happens when a dry fire sprinkler system suddenly rips open and floods a 14,000 square foot freezer. The ice was over a foot thick.

Comment

I have a good one, well, a couple good ones wrapped into a single story.

Was doing a job renovating the electrical work in an old theater in Northampton, MA. Now this is a town notorious for it's "liberal" mindset. Well, every day at lunch, the crew would go out back facing a town green many other locals would recreate. There was one day where, and I kid you not, three women were not only were together, but would make out with eachother on occasion. I, being the youngest,(and still in my 20's at the time) actually enjoyed the sight, but the older electricians only looked on with disgust. Course today, such an event finally hit me in the gut, the fact that these attractive women would much rather enjoy the company of eachother than a guy like myself.

Maybe someday I can get one of them to convert.

Comment

Did a job at an old apt building, cleared a kitchen sink on the fourth floor. The manager, who was in fifties, always had young men over at his place and even looked like a pervert. So anyway, he wanted me to check out a leak in the garage. He asked where was the leak coming from, and if it was just plain water or sewer water and I said, I didn't know but why don't you taste it to find out. I couldn't believe it, he tasted the water.
                              It gets better though, he then says "well, it doesn't taste salty"

Comment

Working...
                              X