Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Well, I have been busier then usual the last few days. Here is a brief run down of jobs I've done.

Saturday : All day job installing a new water softener and filter in a shed about fifteen feet from the house. It was pouring rain all day long, so digging the trenches was not fun. Fortunately, I had help that day. Went and unclogged a toilet on the way home. Had to turn down three main sewer line cleanings that day.

Sunday : Finished the water softener and did a lot of work inside the house. As I was in the truck pricing the extras the homeowner had me do, she comes out and says I am interrupting her nap time, gives me a blank check and tells me to call her later and inform her what amount I put on the check. I went and did two emergency calls after that. One had no water, the other had a broken main sewer line in the crawlspace.

Monday : Dug up and removed an old cast iron p-trap from a main sewer line. Thank you Ridgid Scout for a dead on locate. Went and replaced one water heater, and then repaired a water heater behind another plumber. The tenant said the other plumber changed the lower thermostat three times before I got called to the place. He was either to stupid to see it had a bad element, or to lazy to care.

Tuesday : Seven different houses today. Toilet rebuild, bathtub faucet rebuild, replaced a few faucets, water heater install, and a few other things. Had to tell a guy that had a leaking water heater that it was installed illegally and I could not touch it unless I made it right. Fortunately, he understood what I was saying, and I get to do it the right way.

Full day lined up for tomorrow already, then I get to go catch an airplane and have some fun for a few days.

Comment

Saturday - Emergency call; Valve broke shot water everywhere in a laundry box. Fixed, went home drank a case of Moo Milk and passed out.

Sunday- Fielded a lot of calls for the week, contemplated hiring someone and killed that idea real quick

Monday - Collected on a job from saturday and thursday of last week, Clogged kitchen sink drain. Lined up everything for tuesday along with pulling in calls. Spent 2.5 hours on the phone with my web guy getting brochure ready for 2nd biz. Lots of paperwork, then talked to Service Guy.

Tuesday - Got off to a bad start, 2 hours late to my first call. Kept dreaming I was already there. LMFAO!!! Awe Crap Sticks! That sucked because the guy I worked for isn't understanding at all. Anyway, I'll divulge the specifics of this call on a copy and paste in a few days. It didn't turn out good, but indirectly I am free.

2nd call was tub faucet repair with 120 pounds of pressure; people don't even care, "That's why we have home insurance" Oh really, that's nice.

Got a bastard AS faucet that I took pictures so I can get the parts for it.

3rd call was an emergency sump pump replacement. Turns out, I was getting in my truck at a gas station locally, and the woman stated her and her husband just moved in and might need a plumber some day. I took it as I'll never hear from them again. Not quite.

The guy called me from Louisiana, they had sold their home and the inspection picked up that the pump was continuously running, not cycling off. I wasn't exactly "kind" over the phone but more or less "straight-forward" and didn't pull no punches when I first spoke to him. He didn't tell me the story of the card handoff till I ran his credit card. Pretty neat knowing that business magnet made $300 tonight for about 20 minutes work.

I met those people 4 years ago at that gas station...guy couldn't believe I remembered. Made my day.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-11-2009, 01:16 AM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I don't know if you guys could handle my work day

I had an 8 month old return home from nose surgery to repair the broken nose he suffered while at an off-site childcare.

A 13-month old who fell off grandma's bed and fractured her elbow. She now has a cast going from her finger tips to her arm pit.

A 6 month old who grabbed her mommy's flat iron as it was cooling and burned her thumb and palm.

I submitted 2 grants and met with our local political supporters.

Boy, playing with Rick's tools sure would have been more fun!
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          I don't know if you guys could handle my work day

I had an 8 month old return home from nose surgery to repair the broken nose he suffered while at an off-site childcare.

A 13-month old who fell off grandma's bed and fractured her elbow. She now has a cast going from her finger tips to her arm pit.

A 6 month old who grabbed her mommy's flat iron as it was cooling and burned her thumb and palm.

I submitted 2 grants and met with our local political supporters.

Boy, playing with Rick's tools sure would have been more fun!

Hmmmm...Can you explain this???????????
          Which tools are you talking about???
          Last edited by Mr Seat UP; 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            playing with Rick's tools sure would have been more fun!

Good god woman! Keep it in the bedroom!~

I'm religious ya know!

Sounds like that would be extremely difficult to have that kind of day with dealing with the young people.

A buddy of mine has a wife who broke both arms, compound fractures as well when she slipped and fell at their home.

I bought and paid for a bidet for this guy, and he won't install it.

Guess what he has to do now for the next 6-12 weeks?

Make the food, then watch it turn many shades of brown when it comes a dribbling out the other end, wiping an area that I couldn't bear witness and view, ever.

That isn't love, that's a prison sentence!

Comment

Mrs Seat Down...

Which tools are you talking about???

Comment

This is what I did yesterday afternnon. Started @ 3:30 finished @ 8:00.
                This was one of the hardest tubs and faucet installs I have ever done. Nothing went well. Kohler faucet leaked after I turned water on (trash in line). I had to rob a new cartridge from a display faucet to fix it today.
                I hate Kohler Nobody stocks there parts.
                Last edited by plumbertim1975; 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Went to a customers house to clear a toilet...

Smell reminded me of something?

Owner had been kind enough to drain toilet and tank for me (previous day)

What is that smell?

Auger the toilet and the smell gets worse (I start remembering War, Iraq, death ect...) not sure why...

No luck, pull the toilet... flip it over...

WTF! I freak, yell and throw up in that order

It would appear that the customers wife flushed a perfectly sized hambone down the toilet since it was rotten along with the beans it was in... The bone would not go down all the way so she used the plunger handle to help it along...

It looked like a rotten mangled arm to my war scarred soul

Sux to be me sometimes*shrug*

Okie

Comment

Oh man I had a great day

Slept late

got on the Forum and laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants

Felt guilty for taking a mental health day so I called the boss to see how things were going

Scored a sweet deal on Craigslist
                    (the best deals are always Friday afternoon)

Got trashed at a local wine bar

everyday should be as good as this

Comment

I checked this to see if PC would say he did anything because I KNOW he was sitting on his azz.

How do I know? I was sitting on mine. Only had 1 hosebibb replacement & a drain clearing in the afternoon.

The beginning of the day got screwed up and didn't upset me one bit.

J.C.

Comment

designed a couple RPZ's bs'd with PC and JC priced a boiler job, payed some bills, started checking out honeymoon destinations

Comment

Wednesday - Replaced a water heater, installed a PRV/Expansion tank. Have to come back and run a gas line to a freestanding heater. Left that job, went and looked at a heater I already knew was a 50 gallon, even though the customer didn't. Then I went and did the final work at a building I hope I never have to do plumbing at again.

Thursday - Went to install an RO system and had bought a white faucet with Air Gap, broke it trying to get the faucet to stop moving on the corian sink. I whacked my blood sugar levels so bad the night before that I had no business touching anything plumbing related the next day.

Parts came in from my AS faucet but didn't want to mess with it as the night before beat me down. Did invoicing and called it a day.

Friday - Replaced another water heater at a condo. The couple is good friend with Nick Clooney; grew up with seeing George as a little kid running in the yard. Finished that up and went and replaced a garbage disposal for another condo owner, along with installing an Air Gap that was desperately needed.

Saturday - Been doing paperwork, missed a callback I have to now do monday, then another one I was supposed to do today but didn't realize the line was 1/2", not 3/4". Easy PRV install nonetheless. Was going to "try" and schedule a water heater replacement for tomorrow but I got too much paperwork to do.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the rest of the stuff I threw out of the back of my truck off the driveway and somewhat prepare myself for this coming week, given I'm going to have to juggle more jobs than I have time to do...and it's my fault for stacking the deck on myself.

It was nice to not touch anything plumbing today; haven't done that in awhile and hope to not run any service calls tomorrow either. I really need that truck of mine in better shape than it has been.

Comment

Sunday - Worked online all day sunday, cleaned up the mess I made in my truck.

Monday - Did a callback that wasn't. Lady was incorrect but she's a banking friend. Second call was a Expansion tank replacement that turned into a PRV install along with finding a couple other things wrong. 3rd call was a Kohlers 1 piece toilet valve rework, had to be modified so it flushed right. 4th call was an American standard single handle pullout tub faucet. What a P.O.S. and I gave it a full rebuild, still leaks. I would of tore it out of the wall and be done with it but the old couple is broke. Water pressure is 115 pounds and the lady's words, "Well, we've got house insurance so if anything happens, we'll just deal with it!" <<< What? How retarded can you be, let alone the inconvenience, loss of personal property.

BIG waste of my time on that one but it's a couple my dad plays cards with.

Tuesday- Ran a gas line for a job I worked at last week. I can't remember what I did after that.

Wednesday - Water heater replacement that took up most of my latter part of the day. Before I started, I landed a large job that starts tomorrow and runs into next week.

Wait till you all see the perk I'm getting out of this job. It's value? $1200 but I won't believe it till it's in my posession. Have to put insurance back on one of my trucks to get it.

Comment

Thursday - Got up early and went to my first call, muriatic acid brought a toilet back to life, along with a new toilet seat. Did a partial rebuild on two toilets and picked up 2 grand CASH. Left and showed up for my first 4 hours of my CEU's I needed my plumbing licenses. This class about knowing if your service techs are making you money. I'll reference this thread in the future if I can put that amazing knowledge to print. Left that class, tended to an emergency call that's going to lead a expansion tank install, faucet replacements. Good customers. Left and headed to another job that I thought I was going to finish, but all those reset faucets from HD is great. I sold each one for $20, I'll make a little over $100 per faucet to install them. Gettem while they're hot! Fresh pancakes! Fresh pancakes!!!

Friday - Got my remaining 4 hours for my Masters/Journeymen's CEU's. This class was about Customer Satisfaction, Relations, How to retain a customer base. The information from both of these two are far better than the ones who've come on numerous sites and produced their own way of logic. The stuff I heard made sense, even though I didn't agree with some of it. Key aspects that if I ever have time to put it on the internet, it's eye opening. His name was Bill Kinnard, if any of you have heard of him. Stuck around and went to the PHCC convention downstairs, saw lots of ugly plumbers like myself. Had to call an upset customer that didn't like me pushing off her gas line install till next weekend.

Without being egotistical...there's a large group of people who know Dunbar Plumbing in lots of good ways. I was asked how many trucks I had, , how many employees, good deal of suppliers/vendors knew of my name, just not me personally. I'm hailed as a watchdog in the biz, notorious for doing the profession right and to the tee. Nothing will get past me. Muwahaaaahaaahahahaaaaa!!!!

On a sad note, about 6 different plumbing companies came at me looking for work, given the current economical crisis as of late. Guys laying off some of their help and what not. My plumbing supply house pulled a fast one and brought in two very attractive women, thin and had their cupcakes pushed together and out, I was sportin wood but who says blood flow is a bad thing. I gave my heavy opinion to Delta and Moen.

Delta was mainly about the use of those PEX supply lines, the Moen Rep was about every damn thing they make. He was good about it, even though I was spot on with what I was dealing with. Another well known "aged" plumber was nearby, scoffing at my statements so I knew he was a heavy installer of the product. Right next to the Ridgid booth come to thing of it. Stopped by the Zoeller booth, was told Duke Davis would be at the cleaner show. Stopped by the Disney-McClane booth to complain about those N55's to my rep for the second time. He loves me. I just need to send him an email and he's going to get me a dozen of those rubber O-rings. A washer box set of valves I had to replace due to emergency made by Weld-On was on display, and I told him of the failure point in the valve itself. He expressed his knowing of this, and that there was a problem with that "but has been since fixed".

Now how many thousands are sitting out there..........?

Got to speak candidly with the head honcho of Ky's plumbing division, along with the president of the PHCC in Ky. I discussed 3 topics:

Apprenticehip Program

Implementing a requirement for every journeyman to be required to have backflow/cross connection education

A problem with nearly all kitchen sink drain lines on the horizontal where 120 degree water is allowing for drops between the rule of every 4' for support. My answer to the problem is every 2', which would be another 2-5 more J-hooks for the new construction plumber. Don't like that? GET OVER IT. There's a problem and I shouldn't have to unclog kitchen sink drain lines in new homes when it's clearly indicating that the piping is not holding up to the design of a non-fouling, error-free design.

I picked up some black iron fittings at a local store before I left town, came home and cancelled my pm call till next week. Shame on me but there's plenty of work for me when I get there.

Saturday - Finally installed an RO system that a week prior I broke the damn special ordered spout and delayed my project. It was a beater call; for my ex-girlfriend of 8 years. We were amicable all the way through the breakup and it works better this way. Left there, stopped at HD to follow-up with my homies that I know real well and got filled in on the latest happenings. Didn't buy anything but headed to Lowe's; they supply those flush n sparkle devices made for your overflow tube without damaging anything in the inside. Left there, went to Sears and picked up 1 of 3 water heaters sitting there for next week. Picked one up and took it to my job for sunday, just so I'm not wasting time with the sunday crowd.

Spent 2 hours on the phone with my web guy getting the final proofs for my athletic division pamphlets. This one is really going to be a good one for the fan biz. I have a really good chance to make it happen, knowing a child died last year. Sounds bad that I'm using that terrible incident...but if I can stop another death, that's what my goal was all along.

Sunday - 50 gallon electric water heater replacement, along with stripping a wall sink of the faucet trim/stems so the specialty supply house can get me the parts I need.

Called Duke Energy for a gas leak; control valve on the furnace leaking profusely. Only reason the smell wasn't greater was the fact that the flue was drawing the majority up n out of the home. Good call on my part even though the furnace had to be shut off for the night.

House is not very efficient; furnace ran the entire time I was there, never shut off once.

Forced myself to go out and do an elective job I missed through the week; had to drain a water heater I installed years ago, along with rebuilding a 2 handle gerber faucet, remove a double check from the main and install a new ball valve and PRV. Expansion tank was installed the same time as the water heater way back when. Lately I've been putting my stickers on everything I can, so I can be found directly or indirectly.

I used to look forward to weekends and time off...no more. It's non stop balls to the walls at this point and I see no reason to stop, knowing the options it gives me.

Comment

Monday - Started off thinking WTF am I doing?!?!?!?! All work and no play, and I'm broke! ****!

Lots of little stuff was taken care of today, on the note of administrative. From there was a call from my ex-girlfriend that the RO system is barely running water out.

The Whirlpool instructions state to run the device open and flow water for 24 hours.

She calls me this morning, it had been running since saturday at 3pm.

She thought that the water flow would get better for some strange reason, then turn it off. I told her to shut it off, then the pressure will build and that will take care of that issue. I couldn't believe she left it on that long, especially when I showed her in the book that 24 hours is the rule.

Most RO systems I install? The flush is usually 4 hours, not 24.

After that, went to a fellow's house and the son in law retiled the shower of the faucet I installed years ago; tub spout hanging in the breeeze, nothing to anchor at this point. I did a DIY no-no and caulked the holewhere the copper came through and suctioned the caulk to solidify the spout, seam caulked it to hopefully fix a problem that's expensive to fix at this point.

Left there, went to rework a PRV and new shutoff where the PRV was working, just really old. It was part of the bid to replace and an old meter jumper was in there with a few flow restricting valves.

Left, went and picked up another water heater for tomorrow's job, headed to Lowes to pick up materials to be ready for tomorrow.

Bed is calling my name because I'm not getting the required sleep I need right now. My free $1200.00 mattresses are sitting right outside my shop right now, free delivery. Talk about a tip! I'll have to rent a woman now to break it in!

Tuesday - Replaced a water heater, installed a kitchen sink faucet and made a friend with the local homeless dog. Still need to go back and put a cockhole cover on an opening at the sink for the old sprayer.

Wednesday - Bad day, nothing went right, only made $100, picked up a water heater for thursday, went and ran around town looking for a lift-n-turn trim kit for a tub to finish off a job I started on monday. Got him done and needed to be done. Did pay for some materials that someone cold-called me that was hurting for money. Guy with back problems selling off his inventory. I was the only one to give indication I was interested, and I jumped on it for the money and its worth. I asked more than once if it was stolen, to which he replied no, but there's no real way of knowing at this point. His son was the one coming to me in desperation. Tuesday was a hangover day where I should of never picked up a wrench.

Thursday - 1st call was garbage disposal replacement, the rest of the day was collecting money and doing administrative work. Cancelled my water heater replacement to monday because I was crowding my schedule too much. Needed to get business in order for 2nd biz.

Friday - Woke up feeling horrible but made the decision to make the trip to Louisville to see Josh and company, along with the forum members that showed up as well. I only visited about 20% of the show, again but that's okay. I didn't know that the show ended abruptly at 5pm that day either.

We all ate at Mike Linnig's, I made a bad mistake leaving there and accidentally turned into a field and dragged dirt all over the road. Sorry Louisville, my bad eyesight misjudged a turnabout. Made it home and uploaded video/pictures the rest of the evening.

Saturday - Drove 21 miles one way, 42 miles round trip to find out that I'll never work for this customer again. She's an older woman, strange, condescending and she failed to tell me that she had stacked fireplaces, and that in order for me to install the gas logs in her fireplace in the basement, she's thinking it's "no big deal to run the gas line in the flue chase of the lower fireplace, since it is a ventless.

Her attitude, which has been getting worse lately is now terminated from my company. I did work at her property in Kentucky and this was my first trip to Ohio to work for her, and the last.

The chimney/fireplace guy made it sound simplistic about the gas line install, and the only way it can be done is if a hole is dug 6' into the ground and a special gas line is used. Fuse-bond or something, I forgot. I have about 40 linear feet left and it's for underground gas line installations.

The thinking on the way back made me decide that I've made good money with this customer, and her trying to lie to me at the last minute is a permanent dismissal. Good riddens and no more ear time for you.

I got a bad chest cold, going to watch the nascar race and fall asleep; tired today and the week's work pushed me pretty hard. Someone is looking out for me because if I was outside for any part of this cold day, my chest cold would probably get significantly worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X