X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

This was my first call today. I don't determine a flue obstruction till I have the device installed to see how many fpms are drawing upwards before I can make any determination of what is going wrong.

A lit match blown out or newspapers burning is not the same as a 45,000 btu burner assembly pushing exhaust gases through a piping system.

We even tried to cold start this unit ( rag around the diverter, temporarily sealed flue pipe into cast iron piping to get it to push gases to through the piping, warm it up.

IF, the system was operable I was going to instruct the property owner to seal in that cast iron piping that's been used as the flue pipe since 1920.

Customer did not opt for B vent installation and instead we are removing this gas water heater completely, installing an electric water heater tomorrow morning, resolving this issue.

A bad situation indeed and I'm glad the symptoms were all there. Can't always assume the rotten top of a water heater is the water heater not drawing. Evidence of water trailing into this flue was another big issue coming off of this piping arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiQ6hGbzfE

We also replaced a thermal expansion tank today at a storage unit where we recently repaired busted copper water pipes. Uninsulated piping is what led to them freezing and bursting.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
      I don't know why I forgot to do this yesterday but I'll spit it out:

I did a lav faucet replacement yesterday that sucked so damn bad that I'm bruised all over the arms and back from fighting the one plastic nut that I could not get off the brass shank. I ended up taking my torch, under this sink and getting that shank super hot, plastic melting and dripping down and got that nut to finally come off.
      I use a nut grinder on these things that I purchased
      via our plumbmaster rep.
      Saved me many of these sorts of headaches.

Comment

• Back to being busy again

Today was a day that I'm glad the phone didn't ring. It's been a long time since I've said those words!

I'm netting $1000 dollar days again which is good for an ole cripple like myself. I don't expect this busy time to stick around but it'll work for now.

1st call - Storage unit in my hometown that is converting interior space and water lines/drain lines needed capped off in a hurry so it doesn't stop work.

Tomorrow PM I have to cut water lines down and move them out far enough to put some high density insulation coverings on them.

I don't, but someone else does. My job is just getting the lines away from the wood.

Did a quick capping of lines and took off.

2nd call - Attempt to rebuild a 3 handle tub/shower faucet. I get asked to fix a toilet in a basement that was already agreed that the toilet was getting disabled because of lack of use. Why in the F((K are you asking me to fix it when you tell me not 3 days ago that it's not going to be used? << I got pissed about this one because I didn't stutter, and nothing changed from our first conversation.

I pull the trim off that 3 handle faucet and those 46 year old stems have never been removed or serviced; the original tile has them buried in the wall. First time I saw that in a long time. Bathroom isn't used much though.

I didn't have time to chip all that away from the stems so I rescheduled to come back when the nephew who's working for less pay than me gets those stems exposed, without breaking/cracking the tiles out.

3rd call - Customer called us from the day before with a water leak under a kitchen sink. I determined yesterday that there was a small split in the 1/8" poly line serving the point of use faucet on the deck of the sink.

I couldn't do it the day before so I moved it to today. I get there and the 80+ year old fellow who is still sharp as a tack, had the filter removed along with a few other things. They bought a new delta faucet as well to get a pull out sprayer option. I had to drill a new hole in the kitchen sink and made the alteration.

Installed the new faucet, replaced the tubing from filter to water faucet and on my way.

4th call - Fill valve replacement which turned out to be a fill valve I replaced just last year, but there was dirt in the tank, and dirt is what clogged the fill valve. Now,

I'm still out of the loop when this sort of thing happens. I cannot control dirt in the water lines, ever. I tried the new fill valve seal with no result, replaced the entire fill valve and problem solved. I was going to call it a "callback" but the customer wrote me a $25 check for my 7 minutes in the home. Fifth call was in the same subdivision.

5th call - Main water line shutoff and pressure reducing valve replacement, installation of a new thermal expansion tank that was removed from the system for some reason when they did the gas to electric conversion on the water heater.

^^^^

I did this exact same type of work the day before, same subdivision, just a different street and home. Was at the home the day before today unclogging a toilet/sink/tub all in the same bathroom but all 3 separate issues.

This fellow knows 2 plumbers and I was called to take care of his plumbing work.

Why? Reputation of being a great troubleshooter when you have plumbing problems. At least that's what he said.

Tomorrow is a water heater replacement that came from someone watching a youtube video.

Here's a song that fits me real well right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1wOK9yGUYM

Comment

First call - Was supposed to drop water lines low enough to get R4 insulation around but 3 other service calls came in. Replaced the flapper in two toilets, worked my fing *** off for 7 minutes. I got to slow down.

Second call - Garbage disposal replacement, Evolution series "Compact" wouldn't fit without major rework of drains, went and put another Badger 1 in. Housing cracked on the disposal, very odd looking crack as well.

The plumbing company who did this install was terrible; didn't caulk the sink down, didn't use the screws for the disposal flange. ??? The disposal was hanging there by weight only.

The plumber's putty just after one year was completely useless, dry and no way I'm going to use putty anymore. It simply just does not hold up on thin type applications.

I'll tried to get a new one through Insinkerator @ no charge but the fellow doesn't want to go through the process, and I left there with his problem solved.

I "might" of upsold the thinking of removing those 2 basket strainers and silicone them in, along with setting that sink in caulk, like it should of been.

Third call - Garbage Disposal that had been clogged for 2 weeks....freaking black sewage nasty too, smelled horrible. Slowly let the goofball accordian style tube drain off into a puke trough from the hospital and took it apart, washed it out in the laundry tub and reconnected. The drain is running uphill from the disposal and the owner (which I found out lives in florida, renter called) that he just wants me to send the bill. Well, I made sure that I gave him higher prices for my time today, and to return to fix another problem when the check gets mailed back to this renter to pay me for my services.

Fourth call - Rebuilt a 3 handle tub/shower faucet, the guy who opened the wall did alright; he smashed the entire 3 tiles completely out!!

So much for telling him to be careful, slowly open the opening enough so I can get my sockets on them. LOL!

Fifth call - Looked at a job that I'm doing thursday where a hole has been put in a very nice, elegant tub where the tile serves as a step into a jacuzzi.

The copper is leaking that serves the fixture and replacement was the only "safe" bet.

Got a few other calls that came in today that's been pushed around to the end of the week. If I can get through this week without pissing someone off, I've accomplished a lot. It's tough when so often people want it NOW and you've got others wanting the same.

I put in a lot of phone time for my other two companies today so it made it difficult. My first year where everyone is calling me, instead of the other way around. Thank goodness because my break is finally coming. I've earned it.

Tomorrow is working up in bro-ville. If I never post here again, it's because I was shot, victim of a crime ridden community with not a care in the world...

Comment

No screws?
            Of course the putty was useless.
            The strainer was flopping around like a fresh caught bass everytime the disposal torqued on start-up.

Man,the stories I here on this site.

Peanuts for Chimpmanzees

Comment

I took pictures too. Never have I seen a disposal without the 3 set screws, short of them falling out over time....but I truly don't think that was the case.

Lowe's install. Lowe's lost their *** on this job (corian tops were all wrong on the first try) and he told me they was very upset doing this job as a loss leader. He got the sink for free >> composite 3 compartment. Not cheap.

Plumber got paid...don't understand why the shoddy workmanship.

Comment

I took pictures too. Never have I seen a disposal without the 3 set screws, short of them falling out over time....but I truly don't think that was the case.

Lowe's install. Lowe's lost their *** on this job (corian tops were all wrong on the first try) and he told me they was very upset doing this job as a loss leader. He got the sink for free >> composite 3 compartment. Not cheap.

Plumber got paid...don't understand why the shoddy workmanship.
                I would'nt ask for pictures
                One thing for sure,I cannot call you a liar.

Comment

Congrats Dubar, I like this thread a lot. My days are very similar to your days.

Last week I arrived at a clients home that had a leaky faucet. I am one that likes to discover why things happen. I did an inspection of her home and found three other faucets having difficulty. I removed each of the aerators and found dip tube particles. Heater from 1993. During the inspection I found old coast water measuring devices spraying on the tank lid and leaking on the floor.

Her old plumber took the plunger out of her gate valve and there was no way for her to shut off the main water.Three hosebibbs had hose adapters on them with boiler drains at the end to shut off the leaking hose bibbs.

She is now in a service agreement with us and we will do yearly inspections for her,flush the water heater and other minor free adjustments.All in all with flushing the domestic water piping a 2400 dollar call.

Comment

I'm too tired to type,

here's a video of what I did today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHXak1PUvs

Go and read the description @ youtube for the story.

Comment

thats an awesome job dude. I would have cut dry wall. or at least they would have had a repair plate. If I ever need a new shower valve I'm hiring you.

Comment

I'm too tired to type,

here's a video of what I did today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHXak1PUvs

Go and read the description @ youtube for the story.
                        I've done it. Makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. Great job Dunbar.

You better have put some grease on that cartridge holder/ring.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I've done it. Makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. Great job Dunbar.

You better have put some grease on that cartridge holder/ring.

J.C.

Always. Always make sure the customer watches me put that grease on there too, knowing grease, the absence of it in these situations where they broke their valve off in the wall was the reason.

I use the non-petroleum type silicone grease that's FDA approved for in contact with potable water.

Even though it is not in contact with potable "directly" I don't like using grease anymore that turns dark yellow or pastey white/yellow over time. Just doesn't look good.

Comment

Been awhile since I posted in this thread.

Went to a call today that I was so glad I didn't install the American Standard Champion 4 toilet.

These toilets are notorious for very powerful, abrupt flushing that will definitely let you know in other parts of the plumbing system that something is incorrectly plumbed.

IF, I would of installed this toilet, here's what happened as a result:

a. Toilet when flushed is rocking the water right out of the trap in the shower directly below.
                            b. Shower is not properly vented
                            c. Rush of water is causing the siphoning of the trap
                            d. Son who lives there was accused of puking/not cleaning it up in the shower. I found this to be F-ing hilarious!

I ran my 100 through the drain, no change whatsoever but I needed to cable the drain to confirm that it was a siphoning issue, not a clogging issue.

Even beforehand, all drains in the house with exception to this one shower drain was acting up.

When the trip lever is activated and held down for a full flush on the toilet above? The problem almost disappears.

If I talked this customer into this toilet, and that problem cropped up on my dime? I'd been made the bad guy for the recommendation, and now that I've seen this happen firsthand I'm going to give warnings on the AS4's that "if your plumbing isn't to code and this forceful flushing toilet creates an issue, you've been made known of this possibility."

They noticed this problem ever since the day they installed that toilet. I still though had to make sure that it wasn't piled up toilet paper from the change of flow in the piping.

The 2 sons (older, not the one who pukes all the time) installed the toilets and now they are going to switch the one from downstairs (AS Cadet 3) with the AS4 to resolve the issue.

All the while I can see the dad who has a recent diagnosis of alzheimers destroying a perfectly good ironing board that he forgot to push the lever down to fold up.

WTF?!?!?!?!!

Comment

Put in a long day today. Started off with the installation of a water pump that's being relocated along with a water heater. 5 solid hours and I can't tell if I fell asleep or just the image of my body was there and I was in my truck sleeping.

Pictures/video will be nice when I'm done, looks good. Heading back tomorrow to finish up. 40' of copper and probably 30 fittings so far just to get it through the wall to reconnect to existing piping. The people who are working there are cool as hell; bought me something to eat twice. Can't complain and I plan on repaying the favor tomorrow by handing them a twenty when the food run comes.

The restaurant is called Verona Vittles and all home cooking in the country. I'm working down in the country on this job and I'd love to do more of these jobs but they are always too far and inbetween to be consistent. Plus I lost a couple jobs today because people wanted NOW.

However, I did salvage one call that turned out to be a washing machine washerbox that had those defective 1/4 turn shutoffs that don't seal.

7.5 billable hours...I'm good for the till

Comment

Almost 4 months since I've posted on this thread.

Got extremely busy, including plumbing but my other 2 companies shotgunned forward, thankfully. Got a lot to be grateful for and a hot summer, my help and patience from my plumbing customers were appreciated, greatly.

I love forums but very time consuming...even left my own in July.

Facebook has been a powerhouse for me, keeping people informed and in 'view' of others in discussion and making it known to businesses, organizations, churches and schools. Great communication value is sitting there if you are willing to work it.

Advertising on facebook is next in line, given how they can exact a target by a lot of variables.

On a sad note though...lost my dog through all of this. Got a new one and if he pisses me off one more time I'm gonna be looking for a dog again.

I also trampled some of my customer base in plumbing...couldn't stop it, couldn't help it, couldn't be 7 places at one time and my willingness to stop drop and roll all those times before kinda warped them...because they expected me to be there, instantly.

That simply does not happen now, always a 3-5 day window out. I hate it but I can't bring a guy on for these spurts.

This was also the first year, ever that I made it through a certain time frame where work volume drops. This year the other businesses were so busy that I can't even say it even mattered...I just kept rolling on because the money was flowing.

My life runs me at this point, not me running my life. Couple times this year I truly felt like a drone...no control of anything that's happening other than I have to go with it because it has to be.

Some of the customer base I lost this year needed to happen, mainly because I thought some of them were ridiculous with requests that were above the norm.

Like an outside faucet that had to be replaced (12' of water line, disconnect off old system) before someone left for 1 freaking day...just so the wife didn't have to turn a handle on 25' away instead of 2'.

???

Had 4 events that weekend and it looked ridiculous I was plumbing.

Things are slowing down now, got one huge weekend coming this coming weekend, will have 148 park benches between 4 events that weekend. No misting fans because the weather is too cool but the bench biz is the hero in what I started. Cash flow maker and there's no maintenance but touch up painting. Maybe fix broken ones along the way.

I wouldn't trade it for nothing. 2011 will be my year.

Comment

Working...
                                X