Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

I had a pretty good day today. Every job today was for repeat customers. Those are the kind I like. They almost never have a problem with the bill, they just say get it done.

A customer found out her water heater was flooding her home at around midnight last night. She is only half a mile from me, so I went to her house at 8:30 and capped off the water heater and told her I would be back in the late afternoon to replace the water heater. Sadly, almost all the manufactured homes don't have shut off valves for the water heaters.

My second job said on Saturday he lost water to the home. He had water outside, but not inside. Went there and found a water softener that hadn't been used in years, but was still in service mode. Crawled under the house and cut out the water softener loop. Turned back on the water, and every thing was working again. He was very happy.

I should have taken pictures of my third job. The water entered the home in the corner of the bathroom in 1" galvanized pipe. It turned into 1" PVC with a brass gate valve. It ran half way up the wall with a hand full of tees and elbows, then shrunk down to a 8" long, 3/4" schedule 80 PVC nipple, with a 3/4" galvanized union on the end of it. That was hooked to a 1/2" sweat x 3/4" MIP adapter. The rest of the home was plumbed in 1/2" copper. The house had almost no water inside because the union was over 90% closed off. I installed a 1" brass 90, 6" long brass nipple, ball valve, and then some 3/4" copper to replace that mess. When I turned the water on, the homeowner was so happy I thought she was going to cry. I think it had been years since the house had good water pressure. I rebuilt her toilet and her lav faucet while I was there also.

Job number four is a huge mess. I have worked on this house off and on for many years now, and there is almost nothing that is done correctly in it. I don't think any of the sewer lines have a proper vent, most of them are back-pitched, and all the ABS fittings I have seen are put together with PVC glue. I installed a clean out and air admittance valve under her master bath lav sink, then snaked the drain. My K-39 felt funny when I did it, so I ran the microReel down the drain to take a quick look. I found a fair amount of rocks in the line that were not in there the last time I ran a camera down the line. I have to go back to that one in the next couple of days to remove the rocks and figure out how they got in the line.

Job five was a very quick sewer cleaning. Pushed almost 75 feet of cable down the outside cleanout before hitting resistance. Fired up the K-60 and it broke free very quickly. Pulled the cable out and ran the camera down fast. Line looked good, so I cleaned up and went to the next job.

The next stop was a slab leak job. I have rerouted two water lines through the attic at this house. The last one I did I sliced my arm open crawling out of the attic. They hadn't patched up the holes I made in the walls the last time I was there, so I took one of the panels off and found the hot water line that was leaking the water under the concrete. I installed a shut off valve on it until I can get back at the end of the week. I'm giving the owner a price to replace the hot water lines in the master bath, and a price to replace the hot and cold lines in the master bath. I hope he lets me do the hot and cold so I never have to go into that part of the attic again at this house.

Job seven I replaced some leaking washing machine bibs. I made sure to take pictures of that one. I had to explain to the homeowner that you cannot glue CPVC to polybute pipe. It just won't work. I cut out the CPVC, installed some PEX pipe and quarter turn bibs, and made sure to use the correct transition fittings from the PEX to poly. Surprisingly, the bibs failed, not the glued connection. It amazes me how bad plumbing can hold together for so long.

My last job was installing that water heater that let loose last night. It wouldn't have been bad, except it was installed in the tiny master bedroom closet. Have to love manufactured housing. At least they have a shut off valve for the water heater now.

I don't like working twelve hour days, but I like counting the money at the end of the day.

Comment

I liked reading that Nevada.
      They say it's always the quite ones you gotta look out for.
      That's a serious day you got there,no frills,no standing around bull$hittin' trying to impress.

Good job.
      Adam

Comment

My oh my,

Just the brief turn of cooler weather has got me hating how much I liked the hot weather.

Cold front coming in and it's killing me. No oriental massage can fix this!

Every few minutes I can crack my fingers not because I want to....it's because I have to. Otherwise the pain is aggravating till you do.

I'm starting to wean away from drain calls because I know for a fact; using my smaller machine running kitchen sink drains might be a memory, just for survival.

Everything has to be considered, as the body is holding a memory to certain work that shouldn't be grabbing me 2 days later.

I surely can't it off. GAAAHHHH!!!!!

Back to work! Waaaaaaaaaa-cccccccccccccccchhhhhh!!
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Just got back from a service call; setting a toilet and vanity.

Had to install a "Toilet-to-Go" Crane, more plastic in that toilet than ever, along with steel bolts that were rusting, just because they saw sweat on my brow.

As the terminator always says, "I'LL BE BACK"

Numerous kitchen faucet repairs and replacements this week, tankless install on tuesday after church! and in the midst of all of this...

I have to start exercising. Of course I worked all day yesterday but it wasn't plumbing related, but I paid for it today...and this task above took a beating on me.

The powers that be are telling me to set me free. Meaning; turn the business over to employees and take a run at not being hands on anymore. I kneeled more today than I did years ago as a former catholic in church. Need those knees 20 years from now so I can get on my pride jazzi chair and pop wheelies.

I look forward to the small things in life. I really do.

Comment

Did a galvanized to copper repipe today down in an area where I used to be a machine back in the day, doing full gut outs and replacements of water lines/drain lines, complete stack replacements.

This work was done in a home where it is waiting on a few repairs before the closing. No pressure to two outside faucets was the issue.

Lots of work coming up in the next week; whole house filter system, total rework of a water closet bend with a bad/deteriorating floor, toilet replacement in another home along with winterization of water lines in an outdoor kitchen.

Been spinning away any commercial jobs that come in but I've been taking on those powervent water heater service calls. Most have been removing the burner assembly and steel wool to the temperature sensor and it works.

I "might" start doing these but I really shouldn't. Don't have enough background on them.

Clearing a tub drain by removing the drain assembly *5 minutes tops* for a plate of food tomorrow evening. Have to take care of a insurance job where a supply valve started to leak and did $6000 in damage while these 2 doctors were in Ireland.

ALWAYS shut your water off when leaving; never trust anything in regards to plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

ALWAYS shut your water off when leaving; never trust anything in regards to plumbing.
              How about a plumber....you should trust him/her right?
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                How about a plumber....you should trust him/her right?
                Awe Haelll no! Only between the hours of 5-9am on tuesdays. Other than that, outta luck.

Today, again I worked around the deceased. Water heater went KaBlamo in the embalming room and water went everywhere. I'd much rather deal with that, then to deal with sewage backup.

They already had the new water heater there (just did one for them a month ago for a rental property, same method) and I've got to come back and install a reduced principle backflow assembly this week.

Got quite a few jobs this week but I always never schedule mondays...just for the reason of this call today; emergency, good repeat customer and it took longer than expected. Didn't trample over any jobs that way.

Tomorrow is a different story however as the job expanded and it is going to be interesting trying to clean out my truck during our first decent rainfall in 5 months. !!!

People are still hauling water right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                  Got quite a few jobs this week but I always never schedule mondays...just for the reason of this call today; emergency, good repeat customer and it took longer than expected.
                  We rarely schedule anything for Monday's, as we leave that open for what trickled in over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    We rarely schedule anything for Monday's, as we leave that open for what trickled in over the weekend.

It works out good that way as well.

Today was a toilet replacement for a poverty stricken older woman. Used an old toilet I had for years that was sitting around, did a full rebuild on it and put a toilet seat on it for her. Also had to do a partial rework of the closet flange, economy style.

Water heater replacement down in covington kentucky for a house trying to get sold. Isn't looking good.

Emergency faucet repair, shower faucet (Delta) and was told to rebuild a Roman Tub Faucet while I was there.

Also did a Whole House Water Filter System for someone in Edgewood Kentucky. Aquasana - Rhino EQ-300 was the type.

Comment

I decided to take the day after Thanksgiving off so I could go give my friends a hard time as they hit a bunch of Black Friday sales. We started at 1:00 AM and wrapped up at 7:00 AM. I finally got back to sleep at 8:00 AM.

Woke up around 10:30 AM to a bunch of missed calls. We had unusually cold weather the night before, so I had a lot of frozen pipe calls. Decided that to much work was a better problem then no work so I decided to run some calls.

Ended up getting to my first job at 1:00 PM and got back home at 9:30 PM. I did a main line stoppage, three burst water lines, one call of no water to the home, one water heater repair, one water heater replacement, and drained down a vacant home so the lines would not freeze. A very busy day when you have had almost no sleep.

Walking out the door now to go take care of more burst water line calls. Would rather sit at home, but this lets me pay for my toys.

Comment

The day before Thanksgiving, I was trying to finish up a powder room remodel before the holiday.

Everything was going great as it would be the only job I had that day, before I started on my long break.

Well I wear over-all's all year round, and keep my cell phone in the top pocket.

I was soldering the toilet valve on before I set the toilet and guess what? Guess what went down the 3" toilet hole?

Yep..my cell phone took a plunge right down the hole and into the line. I couldn't reach it from above and THANKFULLY my region has basements!!!

Had to cut the 3" copper line in the basement, and of course the vibration moved my phone into the 3" tee that was on it's side, and started heading down hill.

Thankfully I had a hanger on the truck and had to bend it to go around the Tee, so I could pull it out. Thankfully we also had a 3" copper slip coupling, as 3" copper fittings in my area are hard to come by these days.

I'm not sure If I kind find a better word to use at that moment then "embarrassed"!!! Needless to say, the customer told me today, I was the "butt" of their jokes on Thanksgiving with their family.
                        Last edited by Flux; 11-30-2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Falling apart but still in the race:

Did a ground rough in a older basement yesterday that concluded a dig job that started last week. Anything that could go wrong was heading just that way.

Angle grinder broke, shovel broke, plug on saw went bad, tapping into existing tee took twice as long (can never rush when dealing with a tee that's encased in the footer) and the pit was flooded when we arrived yesterday.

Today was replacing numerous shutoffs in a customer's home that led to our return to put in an icemaker. This fellow retired recently and all he has to do is sit at home, watch tv and watch his stocks grow on the internet. Tell me that ain't the golden years. lol

Left there to head back to a job started last week and replaced a sink faucet, attempted to clear a kitchen sink drain but that ain't happening now. It's now a reroute since this is the 3rd time trying to open this drain, each time it just gets worse. The reroute is going to send it across the basement to a 2" standpipe that's being used as the discharge for the washing machine. Screwed up setup all the way, but it'll be legal as it connects to the main sewer line.

Tomorrow is a toilet replacement and 2 other service calls that are finish ups.

It's been bone chilling cold in my area, cannot stand it. I do not put in as many hours during the day when it is cold out. Been purposely not taking certain calls, nothing froze related.

Had one of my cables snap today, entirely my fault as I was rushing. That cable made me thousands before it retired today... longest time I've had kitchen sink cable go that long, and it's been beat to hell and back.

Friday I get to go and finish a RPBA install at a funeral home, just need to run a new drain for the relief. Until this cold weather snap disappears, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I had a couple days off, no work in the field and get this temperature at least back into the 30's.

It's 12 degrees right now, 5 degrees by 6am.

Comment

Loose end wednesday came and went, but damn it felt good to get it over with.

1st call I had to be at by 9:30 to install an icemaker line, I was there last week replacing shutoffs and collected for all.

2nd call was at a funeral home, winterizing a couple valves and got a commitment for a water heater replacement next week. Also collected on a water heater install, RPBA install and running T&P drains and the backflow drain, done.

3rd call was a faucet repair on a commercial sink at a restaurant, got free food, got paid on a water heater from 2 weeks ago I did. Good business friend of mine that I'm waiting to get to the next level so he'll share some of his strategies.

4th call was a busted hose faucet, we had already replaced this hose faucet once before and warned them about leaving a hose on it but noooooooooooooo! They liked me so much that I got paid twice to do it.

5th call, have a customer with a 2" drain that I cannot clear and I'm redirecting to another 2" drain that serves a floor pit that catches all the water waste from a laundry tub and washing machine. Kitchen sink has been cleared more than once and this time I told the customer it's time for a reroute, since we know the drain has been chronic with issues.

We know the 2" serving the standpipe for the laundry will be used as very recently that line was reconnected to a 4" lateral serving a new building addition, and it has a cleanout. Customer is tired of paying me to clear the drain over the past 5 years.

When I opened the drywalled soffet, found what I figured; 6" heat duct in my way. Have the customer calling her hvac guy to flat stack the heat run so I can utilize the 3" under the bottom of the joists to get proper fall to this new location I'm running the drain to.

Harbor freight angle grinder I just bought, damn on/off switch broke so I wasn't about to lose time tonight... I tore it apart, removed the switch and did a bypass to get it running, made my one and only cut and moved on with it shirley.

They'll refund me a new one, and while I'm at it I'm bringing the other one that broke and see if I can swing 2 free ones, just making sure I'm testing them before walking out the door.

Before I left, I noticed rust staining coming out of the upper element cover on the water heater, and I always enterprise on opportunity if the customer is willing.

Told the customer that she should expect to replace that water heater very soon, and here is why. In good fashion, she mentioned that very recently the heater had not been producing much hot water and that it's been almost 15 years (Installed in 96') old.

She's calling the hvac guy in the morning to come out and give me access to return to finish, and she's having that water heater delivered tomorrow so we can do both when we return. A small job (kitchen sink clog) has turned into a 2 faucet rebuild, a kitchen faucet replacement, a kitchen sink drain redirect, a water heater replacement. A nice paycheck and the customer is pleased with the results so far.

It'd be nice if we could finish tomorrow so I can collect right before the holiday.

Comment

You have had bad luck with angle grinders? You had problems twice in the past 1.5 weeks!

Glad you have work!! I like to take a few days off around the holidays. Its nice not to get into all that traffic this time of year.

Comment

This day is finally coming to an end.

About 12-15 hours ago it started, all I can say is I'm the better that it is done but I cannot sleep late because I'm up against the clock tomorrow.

Went back to finish the reroute of a kitchen sink drain and I butchered up so much wood through a soffet that I'd piss off a 1000 carpenters with what I did tonight. It was ugly!!!

Got it cut open, ran my 2" over to an existing 1.5" PVC drain and called it done. Was going to replace a water heater tonight as well, but realized that the new water heater delivered is 4500 upper/lower and that won't fly on 12/2 or 20 amp circuit.

Told the customer about what is needed to make this change and if the electrical supply house is open tomorrow, and not snowing, she's running to get the parts. Water heater isn't even 12' from the panel so it'll go fast.

Come home, spend some time on the internet and here come all the emergency calls.

First one was a clogged toilet and as soon as I said "We take checks with proof of driver's license ID" this guy started to squirm, instantly. He got off the phone with the promise of calling back. I knew better. He never did.

Second call was a clogged main line at a repeat customer's home, the only reason I left this late to tackle it. The drain fairies were on my shoulders because it opened up pretty quick, and then I spent the next 1.5 hours shooting the bull, eating and getting a nice check for my time. Feels good but the cold weather tonight shot through my body like a gunshot, and I'm still cold in a warm office.

Getting up in 5 hours to unclog a toilet for my insurance agent.

Comment

Working...
                                X