Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

A job I started on christmas eve, clogged toilet is turning into a huge situation.

I called the customer, asked him if the tub or sink is draining slow, he said no.

But when I came to use a closet auger (6' telescoping) I did without success and gave up. It was then told to me that the toilets in the house are dedicated to the septic tank, the rest is gray water ran to a different system.

I get a call around 1pm yesterday on christmas, no way I'm going to do the job with family on the way and I'm glad I didn't. I went there this morning at 8am, pulled the toilet.

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen: Looked like a freaking poop snake that slithered out of the bottom of the toilet, almost 2' long and no toilet paper... smell was horrible.

Whenever it's a toilet only system to the septic tank, it can be gruesome. The smell embeds into your nose hairs and won't leave you.

I ran my cable through 4 passes, knew for sure I was curling into the septic tank. The wastewater standing in the closet bend was doing that slow roll of up and down, which would be coinciding with a larger table of water, the septic tank.

At first he said 2 years since it has been pumped, now it's more likely to be 5 or 7... and this system has a sordid past.

Used to have a steel septic tank, then it went to concrete, leaching field was discontinued and one illegal leaching pit was installed. Soon thereafter, that pit filled instantly so a 2nd one was installed and no issue from there on.

I did get roots a few times, might be where it enters the tank, but our drought this year was very damaging to outside systems, water and drainage. Customer is going to have the tank pumped, told him that the lack of hand sinks and tubs "not" entering that tank is partially to blame, or possibly a tank that might be undersized to the number of people in the home.

Granted, it took a long time for this to reach this level of problem, but maintenance which wasn't done is the key to this current issue.

I'll have 3 visits to this home after the tank is pumped, toilet is reset. I didn't sleep good last night and have a water heater replacement I'm either doing tomorrow or today... can't decide the priority. I'd rather have a full day tomorrow.

Rule #4330 Article C, Section B - Never hook up your shop vac to the exhaust side of the equation and remove nasty wastewater from the toilet... not exactly the first thing to do at 8am in the morning in front of your customer.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
      Rule #4330 Article C, Section B - Never hook up your shop vac to the exhaust side of the equation and remove nasty wastewater from the toilet... not exactly the first thing to do at 8am in the morning in front of your customer.

I've done that before. Kinda makes a bit of a mess
      I'm just going to go ahead and say it's Candy's fault as she hooked it up.
      Plus she doesn't read the forum so she'll never say different.

That only counts as a white lie right?
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

A very bizarre ending to this day:

A guy that helps me was definitely "different" today and was sorta high strung, slightly demanding and loud, over competent even though I'd tell him to do something, he'd do it wrong and then admit wrongdoing. ?

He wanted to get paid today, and I was aware of when the bank closed. With 15 minutes to get to the bank by 8pm, this fellow drove separate for the first time, I waved him on to follow me as I headed to the grocery store where the bank was located.

Last time I looked into the rear mirror, he had just pulled out from the parking spot behind me and started to follow.

It was a straight line to the grocery store (krogers) and I never looked back to see if he was still following. I get there in time, come out and no sight of him, anywhere. I wait, call, instantly goes to voicemail. ? This guy was reminding me of what time it was throughout the job so I wouldn't be late to get money out.

Been almost 3 hours and no return call, I even called his dad where he lives, told him his son went MIA on me and I knew he wanted to get paid, thus the reason I sped to the bank and made deposits.

I have to say... this is the first time I've seen this guy act so bizarre, and then disappear for no reason when it came time to get paid.

I'll follow up on this ongoing saga if and when it unfolds. I have the sneaking suspicion....

UPDATE:

I just got a call from the father,

He passed out at the job, in the car, never left the job. Cops had to use sniffing salts to bring him back, then they took him to the ER for evaluation.

No charges have been filed, they are observing him and the father told me that his help with me will most likely end as of tonight because the money he's earning is just going to where it doesn't belong.

Unreal. I gave him the chance he needed to get in the right direction but that's just bad news no matter what.

Comment

A very bizarre ending to this day:

A guy that helps me was definitely "different" today and was sorta high strung, slightly demanding and loud, over competent even though I'd tell him to do something, he'd do it wrong and then admit wrongdoing. ?

He wanted to get paid today, and I was aware of when the bank closed. With 15 minutes to get to the bank by 8pm, this fellow drove separate for the first time, I waved him on to follow me as I headed to the grocery store where the bank was located.

Last time I looked into the rear mirror, he had just pulled out from the parking spot behind me and started to follow.

It was a straight line to the grocery store (krogers) and I never looked back to see if he was still following. I get there in time, come out and no sight of him, anywhere. I wait, call, instantly goes to voicemail. ? This guy was reminding me of what time it was throughout the job so I wouldn't be late to get money out.

Been almost 3 hours and no return call, I even called his dad where he lives, told him his son went MIA on me and I knew he wanted to get paid, thus the reason I sped to the bank and made deposits.

I have to say... this is the first time I've seen this guy act so bizarre, and then disappear for no reason when it came time to get paid.

I'll follow up on this ongoing saga if and when it unfolds. I have the sneaking suspicion....

UPDATE:

He passed out at the job, in the car, never left the job. Cops had to use sniffing salts to bring him back, then they took him to the ER for evaluation.

No charges have been filed, they are observing him and the father told me that his help with me will most likely end as of tonight because the money he's earning is just going to where it doesn't belong.

Unreal. I gave him the chance he needed to get in the right direction but that's just bad news no matter what.
          Your helper was on drugs and passed out at the job in his car and the cops came to wake him up? WOW

Comment

No charges have been filed

Found out why they wouldn't charge him after all this...

He was in diabetic shock, blood sugar was 400 and rising, dehydrated, explains some of the other recent issues his parents noticed at christmas after eating.

He didn't know he was diabetic until this happened. His dad, knowing the ramifications of his situation would probably hope it was something other than diabetes... because this guy is not overweight, he's normal weight.

Comment

Man that guys messed up....sounds like he is a diabetic(which he didn't know) and taking drugs too. Hopefully his habits caused his blood sugar problem and the Dr.'s/himself can get everything back on track. That guy maybe lucky the cops came by and checked on him,could have died worse case.

Comment

That same thing happened to my old bosses wife. She didn't know she was diabetic until she almost died one day. She wasn't on drugs and wasn't overweight either.

Comment

I followed a car home from work last summer that was weaving all over the road , in and out of the ditch the whole nine yards. Got 1/2 mile from my house and he piled into a guard rail and flipped the car. I had already called the cops as I was following assuming he was drunk and the were actually right behind me when he hit the rail. He went into diabetic shock, didn't know he was diabetic, left work early because he wasn't feeling well.
                  This guy made it 6 miles down the road, through three sets of s corners and through a couple stop lights and doesn't remember anything after he pulled out of the work parking lot. Amazing to me that he didn't kill himself or someone else as we were on a relatively busy highway, he must have a had a good word in with the right guy upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
                    I followed a car home from work last summer that was weaving all over the road , in and out of the ditch the whole nine yards. Got 1/2 mile from my house and he piled into a guard rail and flipped the car. I had already called the cops as I was following assuming he was drunk and the were actually right behind me when he hit the rail. He went into diabetic shock, didn't know he was diabetic, left work early because he wasn't feeling well.
                    This guy made it 6 miles down the road, through three sets of s corners and through a couple stop lights and doesn't remember anything after he pulled out of the work parking lot. Amazing to me that he didn't kill himself or someone else as we were on a relatively busy highway, he must have a had a good word in with the right guy upstairs.
                    its interesting because I am diabetic found out 10 years ago ho well life goes on but I have had the hebe jebes befor not feeling so good come to find out my blood suger was low that was early on now I know but I also have it under control a lot beter
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

now I got reading more I found out I was diabetic 10 years ago funny thing I didnt know eather it was summer I would bring a 6 pack of MD to work with me and 2 big 32 oz btls of gaterade and drink that in a day at work the funny thing was I was p!ss!ng every 15 minuts on the dot trust me you know these thing doing service and p!ss!ng in the back of an E-350 in a old bottel my wife said its because I drink to much I told here no I drink that much to stay hydrated cause I wewe so much so I fineally whent to see my doc my blood sugar was 395 after fasting 12 hours what was weared every doc is different he chose the fast method to reduce my blood sugar man I was seeing UFOs fling around thought the cars could fly for a day then every thing slowly came back down to normal he told me it was because my body was so use to my blood suger being so hiiiigggghhhh that it took ajusting to being back to norrmal
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                        now I got reading more I found out I was diabetic 10 years ago funny thing I didnt know eather it was summer I would bring a 6 pack of MD to work with me and 2 big 32 oz btls of gaterade and drink that in a day at work the funny thing was I was p!ss!ng every 15 minuts on the dot trust me you know these thing doing service and p!ss!ng in the back of an E-350 in a old bottel my wife said its because I drink to much I told here no I drink that much to stay hydrated cause I wewe so much so I fineally whent to see my doc my blood sugar was 395 after fasting 12 hours what was weared every doc is different he chose the fast method to reduce my blood sugar man I was seeing UFOs fling around thought the cars could fly for a day then every thing slowly came back down to normal he told me it was because my body was so use to my blood suger being so hiiiigggghhhh that it took ajusting to being back to norrmal
                        The frequent urination is your body trying to rid itself of excess sugar....taking water with it that leads to dehydration. Thats how my cousin found out she had it....way to thirsty and pissin every 15 min.

Comment

Yesterday was a pretty good day. First thing in the morning one of the local oil change places I work for called and said they had another pipe freeze and burst on the roof. Climbed up on the roof, capped off a line that ran to a swamp cooler, and told them I'd get them a price on doing something to prevent this from happening again.

Next job was replacing a tank for the well which normally isn't a big deal. However on this one, they built the well shed to small, so we had to take the back of the building off in order to get to the back of the tank to unhook the pipes. After a couple of hours of dismantling the well shed, slipping and sliding through the snow, and a lot of swearing, the job was all done and the shed put back together.

A long time customer said the kitchen had flooded while she was away for two weeks. I get there and find that each time the faucet is turned on, it leaks under the sink. The people she had watching her house didn't want the pipes to freeze on her, so they left the kitchen faucet running slowly while she was gone. A new faucet and a couple of new angle stops and she was good to go.

Another repeat customer had a polybuteline pipe break under her house. Some guy that was there taking care of her horses said he thought he could fix it, but he just made it worse. I crawled under the house and found multiple leaks. Changed about 15 feet of pipe and a handful of fittings, and she was good to go. She would be better off replacing all the old poly with PEX, but she doesn't want to spend the money. Oh well, her loss.

Had to go and look at two leaking manufactured home direct vent closed combustion water heaters after that. It's been years since I have run into one of those, and I've had to deal with three of them since the start of the year. I had to tell the homeowners that I can't buy that type of water heater locally, and it would take a few days to get them in. The first homeowner is going to change to an electric water heater either today or tomorrow. The second homeowner is having a solar water heater installed by our power company this month. I told him to call the power company and beg and plead to be moved up the list instead of having me install a new water heater. I'll see what he decides to do.

The last job was replacing an electric water heater for a long time customer. I looked at the water heater the day before and it was the type that took the 1 3/8" element. I had just used my last one before New Years Eve, and my shipment of new ones hadn't come in yet. The water heater was ten years old and poorly installed, so they let me replace it and install it the correct way.

A good profitable day. I started cleaning the truck out at 7:30 AM, my helper showed up and we got breakfast, we got to the first job at 9:30 AM, and left the last job at 6:15 PM.

I've got a couple of slab leaks to look at today and at least one water heater to install. Should be more fun then I can handle.

Comment

• I'll feel the pain of this one, tomorrow.

Corner sink, customer had one of those older delta faucets where the on/off control is one hole, the center hole is for the swinging spout and the right hole is the sprayer.

Customer had a new one to go into the sink, identical to the old one coming out.

The opening into this corner sink was that of a lazy susan design, where the door is actually 90 degree angle that swings of a set of hinges as one piece, nothing accordian.

Roughly 18" I had to gain entry into this deep corner to disconnect the faucet and reinstall the new one, along with installing a new insinkerator evolution series garbage disposal.

Had to be creative on the replacement of the faucet replacement because you literally could not make the flexible hose connections to the valve under the sink, unless you was 16 year old 80 pound kid.

Once I removed the holding nut, I pulled the valve up out of the sink to remove the two flex lines (one to sprayer, one to center spout) and went about installing the new one. The difficulty was these two connections along with 2 3/8" copper tubes coming out of the valve, retaining nut having to go over top all of it along with the spacer. This is where I think Danze/Pegasus could of taught a lesson to Delta, using the open hole design in the holding nut along with the 2/3 screw tighten down design, as this holding nut I needed to tighten down wasn't even close to an 1/8th of an inch. One arm, long arm into the opening and just barely seeing the locking channels grabbing two straight edges of the nut. I truly believe a basin wrench would not of worked in this application whatsoever.

Once the faucet was secure, I installed two 1/2" by 3/8" 1/4 turn valves along with 3/8" flexible stainless steel supplies that are made to reconnect to copper tubes. The existing faucet did not have isolation valves so the customer was pleased with this new design, along with the stainless steel supply lines.

Got the faucet in, leaks at the camber. I tightened the clip, nothing. Has a plastic pivot ball and I told him to get a stainless steel one with a new camber washer because it's possibly because of the age of the faucet that might be the reason for why it is leaking. He had the faucet for over 3 years, had dust on it as it might of been a 20 year old faucet from back in the day when it was made. How he found an exact match was amazing. It was old; soft copper tubes were very rigid and had to be careful bending them so they wouldn't kink up/collapse.

He's going to fix the leak as he doesn't want to pay me to fix the new faucet.

Old garbage disposal was removed before the full work was done to the faucet. Garbage disposal flange had been leaking for almost a decade due to plumber's putty not holding up. Vibration could of played a role as well. It was a waste king... garbage. Customer opted for a new Evolution series Insinkerator garbage disposal this fellow could not believe how quiet this disposal was.

I usually install the "compact" series, the cheapest of the 3 in the Evolution Series but they didn't have this particular model, sold him the step up that was in stock for the same price as the compact series.

Made this customer's day and I don't blame him. I had to even take my fingers, open up the rubber baffle that sits in the mouth of the mounting flange to see if the innards were turning because I thought maybe it was jammed. It wasn't, and I told him that he'd have to remember to turn it off, as some people have forgotten that it is even on.

Took a considerable amount of time to do this job, 3.5 hours and I'm so glad I didn't schedule a call thereafter; the difficulty of this job was done mostly by one hand inside the cabinet because it was too narrow to get the whole body inside, moving the hands around. I need motrin.

After I wrote up the bill, this fellow and I had been discussing internet travels and he asked me to check out his website, see what is wrong. Well, having 4 toolbars at the top of your web page would be a good start to remove/get rid of the junk. I viewed his website, right clicked and viewed source that revealed his internet guy never did a lot of things right.

He was pleased with the results of what I found so he could get him to fix it, and gave him some great ideas to make his website work more proactively so he can make money. He had 1700 indexed pages so that was a good start!

Always a pleasure to work for repeat customers. I replaced a water heater and a water softener in 2008, turned out great.

Comment

18" is enough room.

Comment

I had THE worst tank in my career today. I had to use my jetter to cut the solid mass of "stuff" up to even be able to pump it. A crust buster wouldn't have touched this mess, you couldn't have got it in the scum layer it was so hard. This was a 1000 gallon tank, we pumped about 2000 gallons out of it from the water we added. Then we had to clean the mainline to the tank. Lucky for them they had an outside cleanout. Of course it was about 120' away. They said the tank had been pumped twice in the past. They must have only sucked the water out and left the solids.

That's not even the most interesting part. They had the D box uncovered when I got there. I looked in and it was full of water, so we pumped it out and found the thing in terrible shape. It had darn near disinigrated. So I used my probe to try to locate some pipes leaving what used to be the D box. Nothing. That's strange. Usually you can find some thing that resembles pipe, or tile. All I found was gravel and a lot of sewage. From what I can tell they stuck the D box in, surrounded it with gravel and called it good. The area is an ancient river bed so the poo has been going right into the ground water. I'd guess that this "system" is 40ish years old so I'm sure it never got inspected.

All I can say is I'm not drinking the water anywhere near there!
                                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X