Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    ... old threaded gate valve on a 3/4" galvanized service replaced, .......I put on a female adapter and sweat on a new ballvalve (with my company logo and phone # of course)
    Huge day, any concern of dielectic connection? I've always been told (and acted on) 5" of brass or a dielectric (coupling or union) between copper and galv. Is that rule different where you are?

Greg
    Last edited by glkearns; 01-01-2009, 12:34 AM. Reason: edit down quote size

Comment

I spent a good portion of today re-troubleshooting a 35+ year old commercial water heater with a phantom pilot. The good people at AOSmith tech support line were able to dig into the archives and walk me thru a few tests to determine that the pilot safety assembly (not the gas valve the previous tech support guy swore up and down it was, which I had in hand today and my gut was telling me that the gas valve was not the problem, I just didn't know how to troubleshoot it). Now I have to wait till Friday to see if they have the part in stock. Luckily this facility has 2 of these 640,000 btu water heaters with a bypass so all is functioning, just 1/2 as fast as it should.

After I get all the information I need from AOSmith I get a call back on a water service that I installed about a month ago, owners reporting saturated soil, so I shut off my new propress main shutoff valve, and clock the meter for 5 mins, rock solid, open the valve back up and let the hosebibb trickle a little bit and make sure the meter is reading true, show the clients and off I go.

Played some phone tag after that, trying to get everything squared away for a short trip to Disneyland Sat-Tues. with the family. It's the kid's first trip ever (4.5, 2.25 years old), first trip for my wife in some 10 years, and first trip for me in more than 15 years. I think I am looking forward to it almost as much as my kids, and them not even close to as much as my wife.

Greg

Comment

why do people have to quote long threads ,i dont want to read it again

just venting
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

sorry, I usually delete it down to what I was talking about but at the time I had a sleeping kid on me and only 1 hand to operate with

Greg

Comment

1st call-Install customers kitchen sink faucet purchased from IKEA while the 45 year old man giggled watching morning cartoons

The faucet came with braided supplies with a 1/2" female inlet connection I had to use a brass nipple to connect another 12" braided supply. Broke the plastic airgap by accident and didn't have one on the truck so he got a soap dispensor instead.

2nd call- Quoted $350 to cleared a main sewer. New customer happily agrees to the price. Cleared it in under 45 minutes with K60. Now she says price was too high for 45 minutes of work

"I tell you what ma'am, come to my house with a truck full of tools and play in my sh!t for an hour and tell me if my price is still too high"

Happy f'en New Year to you too!

3rd. call- Toilet stoppage at Payless Shoe Store we just completed 2 months ago. Manager says it's obviously a warranty issue until I show him a wad of paper towels on my auger. Why would you mount a paper towel holder next to a public toilet?

Ordered equipment for Monday mornings' ugly install

Sold off almost all my mutual funds to realise the loss in 2008. Moved some into a ETF fund. Opened a ROTH IRA.

Opened a bottle of MacMurray Pinot Gris to wash away the anger

Comment

I guess my day started out early as my project yesterday was not completed until 1:30 this morning. Nothing exciting but I was reading depositions for a case where I am representing a faucet manufacture in a subragation case. At 5:00 this morning I got up to continue the project as I have a Contractor coming by the house at 10:00 AM and I know I won't have time then.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                Huge day, any concern of dielectic connection? I've always been told (and acted on) 5" of brass or a dielectric (coupling or union) between copper and galv. Is that rule different where you are?

Greg
                I used to use them too. But I have seen so many copperxfemale adapters attached to galvanized that lasted a very long time, so I no longer bother with dielectric unions for the most part. The guy will need to replace that old water service anyway once it leaks or plugs up with rust.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I guess my day started out early as my project yesterday was not completed until 1:30 this morning. Nothing exciting but I was reading depositions for a case where I am representing a faucet manufacture in a subragation case. At 5:00 this morning I got up to continue the project as I have a Contractor coming by the house at 10:00 AM and I know I won't have time then.

Mark
                  Mark,

Are you an attorney or serve as an expert witness? (just curious)

Bryan
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                    Mark,

Are you an attorney or serve as an expert witness? (just curious)

Bryan
                    I am a plumbing contractor but have also worked as an Expert Witness/Consultant since 1988.

Mark

Comment

My work day is more of my new years resolution than anything. Even though we celebrated Christmas today, finally.

But my goals from here on out is to do everything I despise, hate, can't stand, disgusts me.

This is going to be the reward of getting all the things I've hated to do, NOW and up front in the beginning of the year.

Today has been mostly moving youtube videos around, cleaning/editing what needs to be live and what is garbage.

I need to get everything in content between all 3 companies off my hard drive and onto the world wide web and use that as my backup file. I can load to 2 sites, reverse back and do downloads to real player if I needed them back.

Last count, I'm about 480 pictures in queue on my plumbing site; time to move to another picture album site and flickr, photobucket are not my two choices. I wish they had a cleaner format without always having so much tag/img/url/html path setups around the picture.

I need to get organized this year and doing more than thinking about it.

My plumbing site is viewed quite heavily on the photo side of it and not just local. I don't see anything I loaded as a big deal, I just think the amount of pictures is what has people sitting there for a time, looking, right clicking and saving as I've found my pictures have ended up on a few plumbing forums. Woooooohooooooo!!!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Here it goes:

Withdrawal money out of the bank this morning, talk to the nice lady who takes my money and I told her about the high water pressure in the area, this will lead to a PRV/EXP tank install tomorrow, I bet. I've checked their pressure before and it was high, but now they are saying pipes are rattling in the walls.

Second call, a callback ????? Toto toilet I installed less than 12 months ago had a defective flapper.....? I'm going to get that $14 flapper back. Time is one thing but that flapper, had no idea how expensive it was even though I have them on the truck. Lady offered to pay me but she committed to $250 worth of repairs in her basement the first of february (replace shutoff to ball valve to outside faucet, replace laundry tub faucet with 1/4 turn handle model.

Stopped at the supply house, see the thread about Watts N55's. Picked up 4 PRV's and 3 expansion tanks since I'm figuring I've put that many in the last 10 days. Always good money when those go in. All materials under $100 and I charge $400-$600 depending on whether it's an emergency or not.

Last call, this is the one where the air switch fell down through a hole in a jetted tub. I get there, the hole is 1-1/4" !!! The head of the micro seasnake just fit in and I located the air switch tubing and connection instantly. Tie wire was the best product to bend up to match the curvature of seasnake and once I located the object and the wire, the rest was a piece of cake. Got it hooked and BAM! was able to pull it to the opening and just tugged the wire hard enough to pull the hook end straight.

I feel the guy should of acted more impressed, given I was the only guy who said I could locate it by camera.

Once the air switch was in posession, I was asked to use PVC glue to bond the cracked plastic nuts that hold them in the tub. The tub is discontinued so no chance of doing anything with the tub controls. I glued it up but I'm not guaranteeing anything will work on the glue idea, but explained that using super glue gel on the nuts where they mate with the tub is the only chance of the device not falling back in the hole.

Nice home, nice setup but no way to get to the motor or anything on this tub. Bad BAD situation all the way around.

Landed another job for tomorrow in regards to high water pressure and 2 toilets malfunctioning, if I do 2 PRV/EXP tank installs I'll be one happy SOB for the week's work.

Next week is more of the same, got calls peppered through the week even though I can't remember what they are, just know they exist.

This truck of mine is never going to get clean, ever with this type of schedule and a warm garage to keep from working in the dark.

Comment

I started out with a call from Rick so he could personal blame someone else for not letting me know they were in town yesterday.

Then I followed that up with a nice visit on the phone with Joey where I told her I finally finished my depos late last night. Some how I thought today was Saturday and I could take a day off. Then Joey informed me it was only Friday.

So....I went back to work doing some paper work and figured I would have a light day. Then call from Attorney #1 comes in along with another depo to read.

Because I am real close to the budget I was given I call Attorney #2 to advise I will need them to increase my budget. Attorney #2 tells me he has already put in an increase so continue my work.

So here I sit with several hours left before the project I thought was over will be over.

However, the good news is it is Friday not Saturday so I found a lost day and have something I can do with it.

Mark

Comment

1st call: turned into an estimate which will be a job for wednesday, 1/2 day for $400 and a little over $100 in materials. I know I'm charging below on this one but it's for the bank teller who's referring my name all over town.

2nd call cancelled this morning, had a hunch from the convo

Fielded some calls though when I got home. Got a job where the micro-seasnake is going to be put to use again on thursday. Helped a well known weather forecaster in my area troubleshoot a pump from 30 miles away. (Bad Foot Valve)

Another price shopper that called for pricing, not letting me know of the job duty and some asian dude called from Craigslist wanting me to work 20 miles away. My listing says N.Ky plumbers....what part of that did you not understand? "Tah, I'm so sowee." He said.

It's nice to never have to worry about work, it's just all the loose ends that surround me that kill the optimism sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              I used to use them too. But I have seen so many copperxfemale adapters attached to galvanized that lasted a very long time, so I no longer bother with dielectric unions for the most part. The guy will need to replace that old water service anyway once it leaks or plugs up with rust.
                              What is code in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                                What is code in your area?
                                Dielectric unions aren't code.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                                X