Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Oh crap what a bumber. These things happen when trying to contain the force that created the Grand Canyon

Yep yep! I'm just glad they wasn't gone for a week. Having the ceiling still up where it was, was comforting in a strange way.

I'm on the move though...just a goat that got away and ate my hay.

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
    Someday I will hire an employee and makes things a bit easier on myself.

Okie

I've been saying that to myself now for 5 years. I don't listen very well.

My water heater install turned into a $500 payday and a garbage disposal replacement next week.

McDonald's chicken nuggets are calling my name

McDonald's chicken nuggets are calling my name.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

McDonald's chicken nuggets are calling my name.

Momma got me a Quiznos sandwhich mmmmmmmm

I like that what I make is mine though I had my brother in law helping me this summer and the jobs went alot quicker...

Comment

Another fun day.

Met a long time customer at one of her rentals at 9:30 AM. Replaced the leaking washing machine bibs and gave her the bill. She paid the bill and said she thinks she owes money for a job I did for her in early 2007. I looked at my records and didn't see that job in my records, and I have no recollection of it. She was sure she owed me money, and would not take no for answer. She finally paid an extra $200 and said if I find that she owes more, get her a bill.

My next job was to replace the thermocouple and pilot tube assembly on a Reliance gas water heater. I wasn't going to do the job, but the homeowner had the new parts waiting. I installed it and it worked fine. Tested for gas leaks and started cleaning up. As I started to walk away, I noticed that the water heater vent was not connected properly. Crap. Where the vent hooked up to the water heater was torn, so it was only sitting half way on. Informed the homeowner that I was going to turn the gas off to the water heater, and note on the invoice what was wrong. He wasn't to happy about that, but it was all I could do. I carry no venting material on the truck, or in the shop. He said he was going to Home Depot to pick up a piece of vent. I hope he did.

I went and reset a couple of toilets at an apartment complex that had just had carpet taken out of the master bathrooms. Carpet should never be used around a toilet in my opinion.

The next job was a real piece of crap rental property. PVC water lines inside the house, improper drains and venting, and on and on. It took three hours to rebuild two toilets, unclog the kitchen sink drain, and open the wall behind the washing machine to install a cleanout so I could snake the drain with a full size cable. That would take an hour and a half at most if I didn't have to install the cleanout. But, the line just wouldn't open all the way going through the 1 1/2" p-trap, so it had to be done. I was happy when I finally got to leave the house.

My last job was a broken PVC water line in a repeat customers back yard. Fortunately, it broke only six inches under the ground, so I was in and out quickly. Made it home before 5:00 PM.

Comment

Got called out today for a toilet leaking at the base. Get there and sure enough, it is.

I unclog the toilet with my 6' auger, and guess what? Him plunging it for an hour is why I was called.

I go and pull the toilet, flange and all come right up. I give him 3 options,

he took option 3 and he said he'd piss in his tub if need be.

Left the toilet off, told him to expect around $700 between my time today and tomorrow. Showed him this which sold the job instantly. The internet is one of the most powerful tools I have in my business. People want to see what they are paying for and that photo album did just that.

If I had all the time in the world, I'd have 2000 pictures up as I just haven't had time to load the ones I've taken.

And my 2 oldest invoices I haven't billed out for....I finally did them tonight. They were 6 months old and was only a couple hundred dollars. It's rental property and usually the calls come pretty regularly and I figured I'd be up there soon enough, working more and then I'd send them out. It was like breaking though a forcefield finally getting them out.
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-11-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Worked all day Saturday to get home Saturday night, eat dinner, then get a call from a hotel chain 25 miles away. 7:00 on a Saturday night and they say they are flooding. We are in the middle of a blizzard so driving is 40 MPH on the highway, all the way. Get there, tear up carpet, break 4' x 4' hole in concrete floor, remove dirt to find this.

Seems the handyman fixed an 1 1/2" copper hot water line with a section of radiator hose and two hose clamps.a couple of years ago (suprised it held that long). I didn't have any 1 1/2" copper on the truck, but did have a couple of reducing couplings and fittings to cap the feed line and the other side that was backfeeding. Got home about 2:00 A.M. Back there at 10:00 in the morning to install a new section of copper.

This will probably cost them around $4000 after paying me, replacing carpeting, and lost revenue, plus the $1000 they paid the no longer employed handyman to fix it. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to have a handyman on staff.

Another call on Sunday, water leaking under the sink. Got there to find this. He told me he took about 5 trips to Home Depot, and still could not stop it from leaking.

Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM.
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

First call I reworked that closet flange, piping to the tee. Floor was crumbling the entire time I was working on it, sealed it all back up and used at least 7 pounds of water plug.

Job went smooth, 6 bills. Found out the hard way that I left my torch kit and camera at my saturday job, customer told me he was going to call minutes sooner. Picked that up on my way home.

Stopped by to look at a gas line job, easy $250 and a plate of food is coming from this italian family. Pushed off my drain cleaning call to unclog an embalming room drain. I'm gonna check and see who the dead people are that I'll be in the room with tomorrow.

Truck looks like a damn garbage truck; materials, tools, fast food wrappers everywhere! All that matters is I get the jobs done, money is in hand. This is my chance to pull ahead a little bit, finally.

Got the insurance claim in full swing for the guy who I wasted his ceiling in his basement. I think this needs to be the last time I work for the guy. We'll see how hard the hard feelings are, and this guy is going to see me a lot because I'm everywhere in the community.

I'm going to take a picture of the nastiness of what a clogged drain from an embalming room looks like. Like a watered down strawberry shake, mmm.

Comment

Re: First Liability Claim Since 1992

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Customer on the job above called me, upset as hell, telling me the ceiling is collapsing underneath the fridgerator I installed a new icemaker valve to.

Get there, sure enough, ceiling looks like a garbage ready to blow. I was hoping for it to a bad solder connection in the floor that I disturbed that took it the rest of the way, but it wasn't.

The leak was the adaptor from 3/8" to 1/4" that I religiously use to adapt all valves of any design to 1/4", which kepts my stock levels down on specialty parts.

I have at least 50 of these under my belt, and what caused this problem was when I lifted the flex stainless icemaker line so the fridge could be pushed back into its place, the flex line backed that adaptor just enough to leak enough from the go.

I had checked the connection before we pushed the fridge back, no way I could check it once the fridge is in the opening.

It's my fault, no way around it. I don't believe me adding that adaptor was the culprit as I feel it was more of me twisting the line in a way that forced that connection to back off.

Carpet got wet, ceiling is a mess, including all the holes I poked in it looking for the point of origin.

As the thread states...this is going to be my first claim since 1992 and I'm gauging it with drywall work, bringing in all the equipment will probably stem to 3 to 4 grand most likely.

Realistically it could be done under $300 but I'm not going there. It's their house and there's peace of mind in knowing that it was addressed as a normal property damage claim would go.

I won't stop using those adaptors as they've worked well in the past, one fluke situation isn't the reason this happened. Just an unfortunate circumstance that I have to chalk it up to "it could of been so much horribly worse."

It's going to feel good to use my insurance for the first time since 1992. Not the same company but I've been with this one for 3 years I believe.

Told him I have 2 million dollars worth of coverage, try to keep it under that if he could. I told him if I see a new car or yacht in the driveway, I'll understand.

Off to replace a 75 gallon gas; let's see how bad I can **** this job up.

I basically told the guy where the accident happened that I wouldn't be charging for my time there; 10 ss flex supply lines and a $29 expansion tank. My time has just been erased, 3.5 hours. The value would of been around $250-$300.

Damn thing is, I'm personal friends with them but the good thing is I called my insurance and already have an insurance claim in for them. Staying on top of it makes all the difference when these bad situations happen.

Bottom line,

I'm sooooooooo thankful these people didn't leave on a weekend trip. Or leave to go on vacation for a week. Just imagine the difference at that point in the cost perspective.

For some strange reason though, I like getting something back for what I've paid all these years. I mean, that's what it is for.

Kinda like when I wrecked my truck last year; finally got some of that hard earned money back for all those premium payments I've afforded all those years.

Sorry to hear, glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and your able to handle it so well.

Two things I do that you might have but I missed in your post:

1) Make sure to clip any supply lines to the fridge and/or the wall if necessary. If there is not one on the fridge you can get small plastic or copper ones.

2) Inspect with MicroExplorer after pushing the fridge back.

I used to absolutely hate pushing that fridge back 'cause it's the only "blind" connection in a house that has to be moved.

MicroExplorer helps solve that.

J.C.

Comment

You know, that's an awesome idea and that's what I'm going to do from now on, use my camera.

Perfect idea and that way I know it's leaking or not. I thought, even asked about cable tieing the supply line to the fridge but there's 2 sizes for those flexible stainless steel and the long one was too long, the short one was just right, as long as it wasn't clipped.

Unfortunate situation indeed but I find out in a month the bill. What a great way to get acquainted with my insurance company.

Comment

i just spent 10 minutes typing and the lights went out erasing everything

oh well

Comment

I started off my morning...hacking, puking, knowing what I was getting into on this funeral home.

5 dead bodies, men and women, dealing with a floor drain that's puking up chunks of body parts, skin fragments, and the prettiest shade of red you've ever seen in the drain.

That was the first time the floor drain was cleared, thank goodness they didn't ask me to clean up what belched out of the drain.

What you see on the cable is the hair I pulled back.

I can't get the smell out of my nose......washing my clothes now....back to work to get into some "cleaner" work for the rest of the day.

Comment

Nasty stuff. I'm sure the funeral home workers who work on those bodies have the proper safety gear(face shield, gloves,etc.) You have to be careful what you get on your hands that could get in your body! I had to pull cable through manholes in a commercial trucking area that also housed meat and fish markets. All the blood and guts didn't make it down the sewers and a lot of it found it's way into our manholes where it got good and ripe. We rarely had any protection in such situations including handling lead and asbestos. My best advice to the new guys was to wash your hands and clean under your nails before eating or touching your loved ones (girlfriend, wife or children). We constantly found used hypodermic needles under the outer covers just sitting all over the inner covers.

Comment

Dunbar, I was going to 'Thank' you for that post but I just can't do it

Comment

Dumb question, but I'm not a drain cleaner, how do you clean all that off of your cable??

G3

Comment

I've been there Dunbar, so I know what you just went through. I have only had to clear a funeral-home/morgue drain-line once, years ago. I didn't actually puke, but I came very close, the smell was so horrendous. And the bloody fat and hair sticking to the pipe. It was DEFINITELY THE GROSSEST JOB I EVER DID.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                                Dumb question, but I'm not a drain cleaner, how do you clean all that off of your cable??

G3
                                One bite at a time

Comment

Working...
                                X