Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

1st call was a barber shop with completely frozen lines...next week's work.
    *barber shop is closed mon-wed every week*

2nd call was a frozen water service, not a good situation since the line is plastic.

3rd call was a delay till sunday *valve on outside faucet that is leaking*

4th call was a broken water line that froze, expanding into monday's work schedule to correct the faulty positioning of the water lines so this won't happen again.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Since Friday morning I have had 50 phone calls! The South froze over.
      Of those I only completed 9 service calls. The other 41 either didn't leave a message, or I gave them free advice on the phone on how to unthaw their pipes themselves without paying a plumber, or they were too impatient to wait since I was booked up, or they were poor price-shoppers and I hung up, or they scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.

The whacked out calls worth mentioning:

Friday
      Caller: My pipes are frozen, can you come right now.
      Me: Ok, I am extremely busy, but I can be there in a few hours or so.
      Caller: I'll call someone else...
      Ok, good luck with that attitude I had a ton of calls like this. Some callers were literally calling every plumber in the phonebook and leaving messages with all of them!
      Saturday
      A lady calls me saying her well is frozen and she has no water. I tell her to call a well company. She says she has no phonebook and she got my number from a friend and she doesn't know who else to call. I told her, ok, I can be there in a few hours.
      Later I look up her address and can't find it in my mapbook. It turns out she is in a county I don't even service!!! I call her bakc up and explain that I misunderstood her location, and that I don't service that county. Then she did something that Dunbar has posted about before that annoys the hell out of him. SHe says, "Ohh, I'm stuck." And starts crying! "I'm handicapped, and I don't know what to do, I have got no water." I tell her that she needs to go to friends house to find a phonebook, or get to someone who has an internet connection and call someone local. I can't drive an hour and half to her house when I have 500 other people all waiting in my neighborhood with frozen pipes. Good luck!

Another one worth mentioning:
      Caller at 6 pm on saturday night with thick hispanic accent. "My mom's trailer has a busted pipe under it, can you come out?"
      I am really booked up and the earliest I could come is 9 pm tonight. "That is ok I live at... (address is 45 mintues away. )"
      I REALLY don't want to drive fro 45 minutes only to crawl under a trailer in this weather and get all wet and nasty at 9 pm on saturday night.
      I tell her, "Ok, I'll see be there around 9, just so you know it will be a minimum of $200 to fix this."
      "that is too much, my mom doesn't have that much money."
      Ok, bye. *CLICK!*
      There is no way any plumber is going to her house for less than that on the coldest, busiest saturday night of the year.

I have 5 calls lines up already later this week. 3 of them frozen pipe calls.
      Teusday's bank deposit is going to be NIIIIIICCCCCE!
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Today was MUCH better for me. I was all caught up by 5:00p.m. and everything went the way it should.

First job didn't turn out too good.
        Trailer was half skirted and the other half as just plastic that didn't even reach the ground and holes all through it. Pressure tank laying on it's side and no heat tape or even insulation. In coming line from well was insulated right over the temp sensor. Pulled the insulation off and found the temp sensor all black and melted. Went in to tell him no sense in thawing this until at least the skirting is fixed and heat tape replaced but he wanted to proceed anyway. Spent 2hrs thawing the tank etc.. and out of boredom decided to turn the pump on. Went to the breaker box and touched the breaker. It was a sloppy mess moving all over the place. I didn't even feel like it was connected to anything. Then I notice it's a different design and brand then all the others. Went out tested for power at the pressure switch. None. Showed him the problem and told him to call us back when he has all the problems fixed.
        He said he's never froze up before, then later says the system was just installed a few months ago. I started to suspect (bad vibes) he never had water to begin with and was going to try to pull a fast one.

Cash payment, no receipt, call me when you get everything taken care of
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

This was an F-off day with the exception of one service call.

Good God, don't ever think you got it bad until you hear what someone else is going through. I'm good friends with this customer, they're originally from England and super nice people having a horrible experience living here in the United States. For privacy reasons, I'll just say that the economy put these people in a bad way in regards to career, kids, and the inability to sell their home when they really needed to. That's an understatement.

Anyway, one of those B&K Quartermaster sillcocks started leaking, for 2 days!!!! It was on a well but I'm telling you....you wouldn't believe how many gallons of water they lost. They said they couldn't reach me?????

Anyway, the ceramic assembly cracked; not enough insulation in the area where it froze, again. You can't shove insulation into a hole like you're shoving a pillow in there and call it good...that's why I'm back and charging again, even though it didn't break the hose bibb's tubing like the last one.

B&K will warrant this assembly which is great. I'm going to have it shipped to them so they don't call me between now and then.

Aside from this one call, I was glad to get back to the office, work on the net the rest of the evening moving videos on youtube for both my companies.

I got more loose ends than anyone can imagine, and I just randomly pick what floats my boat in what I need to get done. Sucks.

Tomorrow is a follow-up to the emergency call last night, keep doing invoicing before months go by. I'm still catching up on people owing me back from the first of december still.

It stayed below freezing today, no sun so until we hit 40, there's tons of work sitting out there.

Comment

We had plenty of days in the single digits but this week end we had single digits and wind. That got the pipes to freeze. I was lucky with few busted pipes and not one broken pipe under a mobile home. I just had to unthaw most of them. Only 2 had bad heat tape the others had insulation that fell out of place. I gave them the number of a place that would be happy to put new insulation in. I just don't like the cold anymore.

Comment

I arrived to my first job on time at 9:30 AM this morning. The lady was very impressed that I showed up when I told her I would. I told her I can't be late to every job, went inside and rebuilt one of the toilets, got the check and left.

My second job I had to dig up and repair a PVC water line that was leaking between the PRV and the water meter. After digging it up, I told the homeowner that even though the PRV is working, it would be a good idea to replace it with a PRV with double unions. That would allow for a replacement with out digging the thing back up again when the time comes. Homeowner thought it was a good idea and said do it.
              I then went inside to finish installing his dishwasher he purchased from Home Depot. I couldn't install it the last time I was at his house because it was missing parts. Well, big surprise, he went to Home Depot to get the parts for the dishwasher, and they gave him the wrong parts. I told him to just let me track down the correct hoses for the machine, so in a week I will go back and install the dishwasher.
              After I turned the water on to the house, I found a crack in his garbage disposer. A few minutes later, he said if I have one on the truck, put it in. Put in the disposer, got paid, and left.

Next job was for a long time repeat customer. She said her Moen Positemp shower had low hot water pressure and she needed a hose bib replaced. I thought the job would come to around $120. It turned into a roughly $2000 job. I went into her basement to look at how her frost free hose bib was connected, and I found leaks all over the place. I am going back on Saturday (my first free day) to move the water heater from the basement into her garage, install a whole house filter to replace the 3/4" filter SEARS installed at her well pump, and clean up her water lines.

After that I went to look at what I thought was a simple clogged washing machine drain. I get there and find the garage flooded. The washer drain was done in 1 1/4" PVC with water fittings, not drainage fittings. To make matters worse, it runs above the floor, and makes four 90 degree turns before it dumps onto the ground outside the house. I told the tenant there was nothing I could do for her now, and don't hold her breath for the landlord to give me the approval to replace the line and install it the right way. I suspect there will be a handy man with a rubber bladder on the end of a garden hose unclogging this line by the end of the week.

My next call was a simple main line stoppage that took 5 minutes to clear with my K-60. I told the tenant I would come back tomorrow to replace the wax seals under the toilets.

I then went and replaced a wax seal and rebuilt a toilet tank at another repeat customers house, and called it a day.

Comment

My emergency service call from saturday night, the one I was supposed to do today, moving copper water lines? Cancelled. "You son of a *****!" is what I wanted to say but the amount of service calls I got today fixed that attitude.

I knew this guy was going to do this, just knew it. He found howie the handyman I suppose to take care of it, given the price I threw at him saturday night.

Two awesome things about this cancellation: I told him I'd be over at 12 today to collect for saturday night ($209) for an hour and 15 minutes work, a used shutoff valve...

AND

when I cut that pipe loose to get their water back on? Broke the solder joint in a tee leading to the vanity. That tee is right against the joist and has to be removed, just like I had planned.

This fellow doesn't plan on moving these water lines; he's going to have ricardo put shutoffs in the basement so he can shut it off when cold weather comes, ya know, to save money. Holy leaking solder joints batman!

Next call was in a bad neighborhood, just redneck village. Nice old lady with a 2 hdl peerless faucet leaking. New seat cups and springs, new aerator insert and she was happy along with me leaving her with a bag of cookies.

2 calls came in as I was leaving her home, 50 gallon powervent water heater replacement tomorrow with PRV & Expansion tank install and a Dishwasher/Disposal Replacement for thursday.

I discriminated against a location today, and a raspy female voice, shame on me. Turned down a mobile home call, don't want it. If it wasn't MLK day I would of put in a decent deposit today.

Comment

1st customer- 8:15am angerly opens the door in a robe. Specifically asked for a first appointment on MLK Day but pissed that I actually showed up on time

Says her thermostat in the living room doesn't work. After a few minutes of diagnosing, I confirmed. It only works her air conditioning. I found the heat thermostat mounted in the bookshelf behind a stack of magazines "Yes ma'am, you still have to pay for the service call even though I didn't use any tools"

2nd. call- Main stoppage unable to get to over the weekend because of frozen pipes. Ran 105' of cable when it finally cleared. Not sure what's up with that because the main in the street is only 75' out

3rd. call- Attempted to revive a boiler from the dead. Hasn't worked in 2 years. No luck. Quoted for replacement. Absolutly no chance I get that job.

4th call- Grand daughter of a late great president. Burst water line while she was out of town. Basement had over 3 feet of water. (Pics below) No floor drain. Boiler, water heater, brand new washer and dryer are ruined. Several cases of rare wine were covered as well. Labels fell off so no way to tell what you might be drinking.

I noticed that the water level had dropped about a foot before I got there. Hmmm....wonder where all that water went? Right through the stone foundation into the neighbors next door. Ruined everything in their basement as well. I dropped off a business card. They need a boiler and water heater now as well. $$$$ Pumped out basement.

She wants to go high efficiency so I am installing a Slantfin B120 "Bobcat" boiler and indirect fired heater on Thursday.

Name:  968ded11aec3684487c44006cf2ba52d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  227.3 KB Name:  2adaba5d137c7f1512ab3e344118f8fa.jpg
Size:  242.7 KB Name:  ede545a7ba61ed5050ab1100341673d9.jpg
Size:  171.8 KBName:  d0928ac07f720014312eacd92be4b85f.jpg
Size:  32.8 KB
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Nice picture labels. When the mechanics flood like this, does it ruin there usability? Not worth trying to save?

Thanks.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Nice picture labels. When the mechanics flood like this, does it ruin there usability? Not worth trying to save?

Thanks.

J.C.
                      picture labels?

I'll usually try to clean/replace a pilot assembly and tubing but once the gas valve or electrics go under, it's NFG.

I might make an offer on the front loading washer once the insurance adjuster condemns it. The motor might be up high where it didn't get wet.

Comment

OH!

Oops

Comment

I shudder to think what they really go too!?!?!?

J.C.

(I don't want to know.)

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            OH!

Oops

Not a good idea to group your Criagslist pics with your work pics
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Stayed up late last night *4:30* slept till 10:30 am this morning. Look to the right, 3 calls on the caller ID.

One lady I blew off yesterday, for which I feel bad, called again this morning and I didn't call her back. I'm going to hell for that, but I don't like the area I'm going to work at.

Talked with the phone company today about advertising...I want to pull back, they don't want me to, of course. On saysflushable's advice, I contacted the phone company about buying that dead plumber's phone number, and they're telling me that they might attach any unpaid advertising from contractual obligations this guy left behind.

I guess they have a hat in that because if someone really wants that number, they'd be willing to pay for it. I'll find out tomorrow what its value is, even though I'm not in any position to assume a large bill, especially someone elses.

1st call was a PowerVent water heater replacement. Once again, heater sitting next to it, I replaced it and the damn molding dog food under the heater made me almost hurl. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggghhhh! Pretty rough stuff from the go.

I was slick on this heater install; guy commented on how I made it look so easy the way I adjusting the changes from old to new.

2nd call, broken water line at a funeral home. I am now the service plumber to 3 funeral homes in my area because I can hang out with dead people. They love me! Anyway, someone didn't shut this 1940's stop valve off hard enough to stop leaking. Witnessed the water heater is piping incorrectly and I was told to schedule it in when the weather is warmer, got some time.

I love having filler calls. Can really pad out a work week if you have holes in your schedule.

Tomorrow is dragging a torpedo heater into a basement, wait a few hours, hope I don't burn the damn place down (just used my liability insurance, would be funny as hell to do it again! ) and get this barber shop some water. They are only open 3 days a week. (thurs-fri-sat)

More calls will come in; damn frigid temperatures whipping me good.

Comment

First call, FROZEN POOPCICLES!!!

At least it looked like it. I got there and there's water leaking down from an overhang over the garage. I tap on it and it's solid ice. I go into the garage, open the ceiling, more frozen water hanging around the closet flange.

First time I went upstairs, didn't see the leaking water line. Second time, I did and advised replacement of the fill valve, supply line to the toilet. Had a hard time getting the fill valve removed, had to break out my shower sockets to get it loose. Check pressure before I replaced them, 110+ pounds pressure. Went through the routine, showed him the expansion tank is defective, put him on my website looking at those 2 links and told him to view my pictures of all the PRV's/Expansion tanks I've installed. Included how many I've installed on his street as well. Job security when association is key.

Next call was spending hours getting water lines unfrozen at a barber shop. Years from now I might buy this building that I've done work at. It sits right across from the county seat and they really need office space in the area. Problem is, I need to buy 3 adjacent lots to gain parking space for this building, or the whole idea is simply useless. There's a nostalgic barber shop that I would rebuild right next door, let him move across and hopefully keep the spirit alive. Lots of older people go to this barber shop and you can't remove that. Too important of a staple in this little town, what's left of 'little'.

Took numerous calls that seeds next week nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X