Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

No plumbing today. Slept till 1pm, felt horrible all day including now. Deposited checks, ran some credit cards, ate some nuggets. LOL!

Tarped my truck and got my generators ready if this ice storm shuts us down again.

There was a million things I should of done in the plumbing company today but I'm just rashed by it all, and I got to take another day off tomorrow.

Big gas line job waiting for me thursday and I should be well rested by then.

Possibly my pain today might be a direct result of inactivity, very good chance.

Turned down a drain cleaning call for tomorrow...that makes 3 in two days.

Just don't feel "in the mood" right now. Must be the smell.....?

Got something done on my second business that needed to be done forever. In a blink of an eye, january has come and gone.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well today sucked. Me and my part time helper got to the job at 9:00 AM. We had to move a water softener and filter about 10 feet from outside of the house into an insulated shed that was just built for the softener. We should have been all done and had the check in our hand before 1:00 PM. Start digging the trench, and the ground was hard as a rock, and the rats nest of PVC water lines was partially encased in concrete. Between that and some problems getting the water lines through the floor in to the new shed, the job took longer then it should have.

Around 1:30 PM I am down in the trench making the final water connections and I notice a heavy propane smell. Looking around I find a leaking shut off valve on what I thought was an abandoned gas line behind the shed we were working in. I inform the home owner and tell her what I am going to do. I cut a nipple and remove a tee at the propane tank and put it back together, leaving out the line I thought was abandoned. I go inside to light the pilots, and a heater in an addition does not light. Walk back outside, and sure enough, I missed the fact that the gas line I just eliminated went to that heater also. Go to the truck for the parts to hook it back up, and I don't have the parts. Call up and have the parts brought out to me, and I get the line hooked back up and the leak fixed. All the while, my helper is laughing because I am getting upset.

Got to my second job 3 hours late at 4:00 PM. Will have to come back and smoke test the drain system to find a possible broken vent line. Grabbed more parts for a large job tomorrow, met with another homeowner at 5:00 PM, and made it home by 6:00 PM.

Comment

Ended up working today after all, the weather was bad however but once it got around 4pm it was all good.

A repeat customer from last year who I had a horrible time getting to last year because I put off, countless times? Was there within 3 hours of him calling for a clogged tub.

I'll say it again, anyone who's experienced the 81 drum machine from spartan, you can really make easy work of cabling a drain. I was in and out in 10 minutes, really not even that long. He wanted me to rebuild a really old 1 piece lowboy kohler and that's not going to happen on one trip. I took phone camera pics and have to contact my best supplier tomorrow on this.

I wanted to make sure though that I made changes for the better for this customer, given the fact that he's a good paying customer and has spent a good deal with me.

2 calls came in today, one for a water heater replacement tomorrow with PRV/EXP tank install, the other I turned away as the guy let me know that I was bidding against another plumber on a new laundry room in an attached garage. I'm not too fond of new construction and someone telling me I have competition ahead of time just makes it easier to let them know that I'm not interested. I did give him a referral to someone else however.

Got a gas line job I don't know if I can put off another day or not; I might just show up, rework a small bit of it and leave tomorrow to give indication that I'll put a full day into it friday, saturday.

I'm broke right now and I'm owed a lot of money, got deposits that are showing up through cc transactions but I bounced a check on myself, from account to account. Shame on me! That's what I get for not thinking of the bad weather and buying $300 worth of plumbing materials at the last minute.

Bad thing is, I fell down, hurt myself on my drain cleaning call tonight. Had the machine in my right hand and those foot booties made it too slick. The jolt to my body has got me thinking early bedtime for R&R and pray I'm okay for tomorrow.

I did buy this little trick that I might keep on the truck just to make life easy for me on jobs.

It does a great job but I can't see it working on wet snow, but then again most of those machines don't do well with wet snow.

I'm glad I worked today, keeps me in business!

Comment

I have been busy as all hell lately, so I don't even have time to post here anymore about my day.
          Quick overview of this week so far:
          60' underground copper water service
          PRV, TXT, wtr htr drain.
          Garbage disposal
          5 faucet rebuilds
          prv
          woodford #25 rebuild
          2 total toilet rebuilds (replaced every last bit of hardware)
          Faucet repair
          Hose bibb replaced.
          Good money. I think January might be close to $20,000 in gross sales. We'll see, I haven't even looked at the numbers yet.

Also I started building my new website and I registered my new business name at the county courthouse. I am officially changing to a sewer/drain company. Still keeping my license so I can pull permits, I will still do repipes and plumbing repairs.
          Last edited by Service Guy; 01-28-2009, 10:57 PM.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            I have been busy as all hell lately, so I don't even have time to post here anymore about my day.
            Quick overview of this week so far:
            60' underground copper water service
            PRV, TXT, wtr htr drain.
            Garbage disposal
            5 faucet rebuilds
            prv
            woodford #25 rebuild
            2 total toilet rebuilds (replaced every last bit of hardware)
            Faucet repair
            Hose bibb replaced.
            Good money. I think January might be close to $20,000 in gross sales. We'll see, I haven't even looked at the numbers yet.

Also I started building my new website and I registered my new business name at the county courthouse. I am officially changing to a sewer/drain company. Still keeping my license so I can pull permits, I will still do repipes and plumbing repairs.
            Looks like a bad week for drain cleaning, SG

Good for your bank account though

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
              Looks like a bad week for drain cleaning, SG

Good for your bank account though
              Yeah, that is one main reason why I am changing my business name. I don't get as many drain calls as I would like to yet. I want to get more and more into drains. I am doing a mainline cable-cleaning and camera tomorrow though. Some weeks, I do mostly drains, this week has been mostly plumbing repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                Yeah, that is one main reason why I am changing my business name. I don't get as many drain calls as I would like to yet. I want to get more and more into drains. I am doing a mainline cable-cleaning and camera tomorrow though. Some weeks, I do mostly drains, this week has been mostly plumbing repairs.
                It's hard to balance sometimes. People have a hard time separating the two. When I refer work to the plumbers I trade work with, I get confused looks sometimes. It's all good as long as the drain work keeps coming.

My ad in the YP has nothing about gas work, but people still call me for it.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  It's hard to balance sometimes. People have a hard time separating the two. When I refer work to the plumbers I trade work with, I get confused looks sometimes. It's all good as long as the drain work keeps coming.

My ad in the YP has nothing about gas work, but people still call me for it.
                  Yeah, I am sure I will still get plenty of plumbing repair work when I change my name. I will still be licensed as a plumber, and I will still keep a fully stocked van. I am just hoping that the new name and new marketing will better FOCUS my market.
                  BTW, I already have one local plumbign company referring his drain and camera work to me. In exchange I give him all the remodels that people want me to do. I hate remodels, so it works for both of us.

Comment

22 fan coils, heating and cooling, valve trains. The last time I did fan coils, valves, circuit setters, strainers, unions, actuators. This time valves and unions . . . anyways that's four trains per unit. 88 valves, reducers, adapters, unions. Two nipples a piece. 176 nipples. Fittings sanded yesterday, sanded pipe before cutting, chopped all but about thirty. Reamed, fluxed, and fired all but about thirty assemblies today(9 hrs.) I can still smell the flux in my nose ! Finish them today

Comment

Well it's 11:15 am central time, and I'm at home on the computer.

I worked all day Tuesday and Wednesday, but the phone is dead today so far.

That's how it goes sometimes.

Update 11:45 am;
                      Dodged a 1-800 number sales call.

Update 11:58 am;
                      Just saved $6.00 by eating leftovers at home.

Started a thread today;
                      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23005 = 2 A.M. Lavatory Drain? 24 hr policies?

Finally got a job at 6pm. Back home at 7:30. Better luck tomorrow.

1/30/09 - three drain jobs today
                      Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-30-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

1st call - water heater draining, rebuilt a toilet, rebuilt a lav faucet

2nd call - Full rebuild on a toilet, replaced supply lines to a kitchen sink faucet, ordered replacement line for pull out spray on faucet.

Fielded numerous calls today for work lining up for the end of this week, weekend, next week.

Not putting enough info in my head to print, so I remember. Must...find...pen, paper.. to write on.

Comment

Today was a good day. Installed a 75 gallon commercial gas water heater for the first job. It went really easy because Bradford White makes the new one the same dimension as the old one. Really the hardest part of the job was getting it off my van.

I went and showed an old customer how to change the flush valve seal on her Mansfield toilet I installed several years ago. It always amazes me how many calls I get from people who can't figure out how the seal sits in the flush tower.

Next was dropping off invoices to the various property management companies I do work for. I know some plumbers won't do work for them, but for me it works out great.

Looked at a clogged main sewer line in a house I have a history with. I told the tenant I would come back and locate the line and install an outside cleanout if the landlord gives me the OK. It's a win-win situation. I either make good money installing the cleanout (thank you Ridgid Scout) and clearing the line, or the landlord decides I am to expensive (this landlord is notoriously cheap) and I get my service call fee and don't have to do a job I really didn't want to do in the first place.

Went and unclogged a toilet and went home.

Comment

1st and only call was a sump pump replacement.

Sold one of my last new generators today, the used one is getting sold tomorrow.

Deposited a grand today, got a check for $850 for the generator and going to make at least 3 clams tomorrow for a water heater replacement.

Money comes in, money goes out.

I truly need to invoice this weekend, no damn excuses.

Comment

1st and only call, again; water heater replacement and fought an upset stomach the whole time today. Charged $455 and got r done!

Had to replace the expansion tank, rework the piping above the heater, remove a saddle valve, install a PRV, list goes on.

Took longer than expected but the customer at first said he'd run and get parts...when I asked he said no. Well, that adds to the bill.

This guy has been getting pummelled by the previous plumber, not fixing the core problem and I came in and nailed it.

I believe in honesty in this business, that's why it all works out good in the long run.

Estimate on a gas line came in tonight, have to go and look at this because I've gotten 3 calls on the same street, all through different legs of advertising.

This one was a goooooooogle hit and the affirmation that I'm known in town by the truck.

Comment

Sunday - Looked at a gas line job, couldn't say if I'll get the job or not, who knows.

Monday (today) - did all kinds of financial business today along with all the stuff I normally cannot do during work hours. Only got 1/50th of what I needed done today, completed.

Aside from that, started the beginning of a gas line job that I feel turned out nice. Used some of the old pipe to let the customer know I saved them some money....but I really didn't want to dig my pipe vise out of the back of the truck. I removed a gas line that was buried behind a furnace and had to cut one section with my diamond blade angle grinder to get disconnected from a tee.

No sawzall would of ever fitted back between the ductwork. I prevented the draining of a 12 year old water heater, got it hooked back up and looks decent. Can't say good because one pipe is 1/4" off and I can't accept it as good. It's going to work and not leak, the check will be written.

I go back to finish it tomorrow and I find out if I get the shower faucet replacement as well, which I'm hoping for.

No services calls came in today, NONE. Unusual on a monday but when this happens it usually stirs a ton on tuesday and wednesday. Someone emailed me from their blackberry that got me off a church bulletin ad that wants a log fireplace, gas line ran.

Another "look at" job but I can catch it on the way home from another job.

Tomorrow I get to meet the dept. manager at home depot as I'm buying another reset from the faucet aisle. This time I'm keeping to the Delta faucets only and each time I've done this, $20 grabs about $500-$700 worth of faucets that I actually can install as if there was nothing wrong with them at all. If not complete, I just harvest them for parts which is great as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X