X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Work Day---Details of your Work

I figure this thread would be a good catch-all, nice thread for everyone/anyone in the professions to post this running list of what you do, day to day.

I'll start off with my day as it went from blah to Boo-Yah! real quick.

Turned down my first call (submersible pump with a split in the pressure line, supply houses closed) and played lazy for the most part till I lined my 2nd call up.

Phone rings, leaking expansion tank...got there and upselled a PRV to make it a solid move. My N55's are messed up because the nuts are bottoming out on the PRV. Taking too much to tighten to make them stop leaking.

Made good, almost 4 bills for 2.5 hours work and headed to my now 3rd call.

Fought a POS A/S KS faucet that had low pressure, repaired a shutoff underneath by the new krylon stem the customer had. I backwashed the faucet on both hot and cold and for some reason the hot wouldn't let me blow-back through the open supply line underneath.

Told them to get another faucet, a Delta to get away from the machined handles that were too close to the bonnet trim. (A very common problem with this style A/S faucet)_

Tried working on ANOTHER 2hdle Monticello moen, this time a 2 hdle lavy and the cold side handle? Even with grease on the wear points, couldn't get it to ease up and turn freely. The hot side I did.

Told him to contact moen, get the free parts, "white lie" to get those cartridges which I believe are 1224B's ??? and call me when the KS faucet takes a crap again.

Did 5 figures in 4 hours at 2 residences and could of been a 7 bill day if I would of taken on that sumbersible pump private water system.

The above is rather lengthy, but if someone has a day that's worth mentioning, put it here. I'm sure some of the day's events will spawn discussion, possibly a debate every now and then.

This goes out to all trades and sometimes talking about your day is a great stress reliever. More than once I've been anxious to come home and beat the keys and give my opinion of a situation, then hear other's words of wisdoms to either settle down or go load my guns and head back out.

Sometimes some really good topics get lost in the trail of threads on website forums that offered tons of knowledge, and over time the thread gets buried pages back into the site, never to be seen again.

Use this thread to keep one that will constantly show up daily that can keep it in full view. If it works out good enough, maybe josh can sticky the thread if it works out.

This is for all the tradesmen on this site.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Your Work Day---Details of your Work

Man, you may want to stock more parts on your truck! I carry 3 different kitchen faucets at all times, and I carry all types of Moen cartridges. Instead of telling them to buy a new faucet and order a stem and call me back, I would have sold them a new faucet and installed it right then and there, and I carry the moen cartridges too, so I would have done that too. Would have walked away with a happier customer and a lot more money.
    I can't see how people would be happy with a service plumber that doesn't carry the proper parts.

Sorry, but that is how I see it.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ahh it might seem that way, but I won't keep high end kitchen sink faucets on the truck. This was in a 750,000.00 home with 6 other structures on this horse farm, granite countertops with embedded fancy ****!

Nothing to fix that A/S faucet; those are the ones where you have to replace the assembly which is expensive. I knew the product well and it was the 2nd time they've paid somebody to work on that faucet in 4 years. ????

On that moen? I had 1 of the cartridges but I upsold the fact that I'm already coming back for when the parts come in (Free to them which is an excellent bait strategy, saving them money) and I've got a PV water heater to replace soon, and time spent trying to keep water lines from bursting in their Servant's Quarters.

One of better, well known properties in my area. Charged them a little less than the actual time I had there, I'm waiting on a call for when the parts come in and they pick out a faucet.

Ain't no way! I'm keeping high end faucets on my truck. I actually restored a good part of the flow back to that A/S faucet, got the handles working good so between now and the time they call me, I'm going to send a itemized invoice for the work done and a small coupon to double bait that hook.

Hopefully when they go and buy that Delta faucet, they think about how much trouble that ()#@ing Moen faucet has cost them in the guest bathroom and switch that to Delta as well.

The discussion I had with him had him agreeing that he likes Delta products and that is sweet music to my ears.

Ace Hardware was less than a mile away so he pulled the "while you are here" ordeal on the moen lav faucet. I took it apart and I believe the cartridge is to blame on the cold side, but the hot side was fixed/moving freely just by using Free-All on the assembly.

I keep the posi-temp cartridges, the 1225B, 1224B and that's it for Moen. F them! and their junk. I consider space on my truck valuable and moen isn't getting more than a small kid's shoebox on my rig.

Terrible, TERRIBLE design on how those moving parts come together and work down the road.

So sometimes doing impulse fixes can knock your immediate second return.

The option now opens up a more work scenario, especially how I targetted a new product to go in to end the nonsense between those two manufacturers.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-28-2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Ah, ok, that makes some sense I guess.
        So are we supposed to post just a single typical day at work? Or is this like a running journal. My days vary quite a bit. I am just wondering what basic rules are for this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          Ah, ok, that makes some sense I guess.
          So are we supposed to post just a single typical day at work? Or is this like a running journal. My days vary quite a bit. I am just wondering what basic rules are for this thread.

I'm a strange bird about my salesmanship, how I brand my strategy to make the most money I can. That's how that leaking expansion tank grew to a PRV installation, allowing a $165.00 quote grow to $372.50...and I mentioned their aging kitchen sink faucet.

Their follow-up/thank you letter will have a discount towards a guess what; kitchen sink faucet installation with a directional step to get them on my site, look at my remaining KS faucets that I have, and won't be able to install because they got sold. Now I have them following my direction to "next time you go to HD or Lowe's get a faucet of your choice/cost and I'll give them a estimated time quote, which is usually 1.25 hours to do a KS faucet replacement, which the norm is an hour from
          start to finish. Some go extremely fast.

I pointed out a set of aging washing machine hoses as well. Guess what I'll have on the truck (at all times normally) the next time at his house? A set of braided stainless steel hoses that he forgot during our conversation and now for the little bit of time and effort, I'll have a new set on without any effort at all on his end.

Treating that customer like you care about his home more than he does without throwing numbers around, you can accomplish a lot. Price is the last thing I talk about, because I'm going to drive home scenarios, reasons for the product, the reliability, and the great part?

I'm so well known in my area that I can now point on the local streets here in town and say "Your neighbor took care of their problem a long time ago, and they were glad to have it done." and that can create a sale instantly.

Don't lie, there's no reason to lie. You don't know how close the neighbors are and speaking the truth is all you need to do. Otherwise it is a desperate ploy for dollars and that will demolish your word of mouth chain instantly.

I got more to add but I'm typing like a machine tonight, gotta stop.

This is a "anything goes" type of thread about your work day. If you don't even work one day to another, doesn't matter. Writing about the paper side of biz, dealing with advertising idiots, the dulldrum of fielding calls that are non-income producing calls are never any highlight of my day.

It's just part of the normal repertoire of everyday work life whether you're business owner or an employee for another company.

Comment

Actually started to clean my truck today, got a call that once again, one of my customers cancelled monday's am call.

Have one lined up for tomorrow...so far.

Got a call immediately after that, customer with a leaking Delta faucet and a leak at a valve downstairs.

I get there, forgot my pressure gauge and that was dumb. Had somebody bring it to me and sure enough, 120 pounds of pressure.

Upselled PRV that was defective, explained the necessity of the expansion tank which was installed along with removing 2 isolation stop & waste valves, installing a new main shutoff along with ball valve for front outside hosebibb, rebuilt 1700 series Delta.

I turned a simple 1 hour call into 4.5 hours simply by showing the customer the how and why this pressure is so bad, and why all a sudden 3 valves were leaking. Being an emergency my time neared 6 bills tonight.

Super nice people and on a promise I'm bringing them hanky panky and creamed pull candy later this week. They're worth it.

I'm in so much pain that I need someone to get me breakfast from Wendys. I'm going to be in baaaaaaaaaaad shape in the morning.

My weekend netted a grand; money is spent and gone like 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Ok, I play

Monday mornings' 1st call scheduled since last Tues. is a no answer

Diverted across town to do a boiler estimate. 8 unit apartment building near Foggy Bottom. Basement was converted into apartments 20 years ago to house George Washington Univerity students. So the contractor moved the 400 pound boiler and 100 gallon commercial water heater into the attic turret These were placed in the attic with a crane while the slate roof was off. Now the boiler is NFG and water heater about to bust. Old and new equipment will have to negociate 4 flights of narrow stairs then jacked into attic. This will be by far the most difficult boiler/heater replacement I've ever done. Job starts next Monday or Tuesday depending on my labor. I'll try and take pictures.

Head back to Capital Hill to help a coworker diagnose a power vent water heater with pressure switch issues.

Toilet stoppage, 3 unit walk up. Bald woman answers the door Auger toilet and pull back a wig It's the one she wears for special occasions like Christmas parties. She called it her 'Holiday Hair' I tried to throw it away but she wouldn't let me. Apparently, wigs are very expensive

Check latest posts on Ridgid Forum

1st customer rings me back. "Where are you?" Said she overslept and didn't hear the doorbell or phone
              "Can you come now?"

"Nope, you have to wait until I'm ready"

"OK, when will that be?"

"45 minutes"

I scarf down a G-Man sub from Mangialardos Deli then head over there.

No heat on a old Weil Mclain VHE model boiler. Needs a $40 part (mercury pilot sensor)from R.E. Michels. No problem, right? Part has been discontinued and no longer availible.

Time for her to make a hard decision. Replace 18 year old boiler for $4,400 or recontrol it to Hot Surface Ignition for $1,200. It's the week after Christmas. I knew her answer before I walked back in there.

Spent the rest of the day picking up and installing ignition control kit.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Ok, I play

Monday mornings' 1st call scheduled since last Tues. is a no answer

Diverted across town to do a boiler estimate. 8 unit apartment building near Foggy Bottom. Basement was converted into apartments 20 years ago to house George Washington Univerity students. So the contractor moved the 400 pound boiler and 100 gallon commercial water heater into the attic turret These were placed in the attic with a crane while the slate roof was off. Now the boiler is NFG and water heater about to bust. Old and new equipment will have to negociate 4 flights of narrow stairs then jacked into attic. This will be by far the most difficult boiler/heater replacement I've ever done. Job starts next Monday or Tuesday depending on my labor. I'll try and take pictures.

Head back to Capital Hill to help a coworker diagnose a power vent water heater with pressure switch issues.

Toilet stoppage, 3 unit walk up. Bald woman answers the door Auger toilet and pull back a wig It's the one she wears for special occasions like Christmas parties. She called it her 'Holiday Hair' I tried to throw it away but she wouldn't let me. Apparently, wigs are very expensive

Check latest posts on Ridgid Forum

1st customer rings me back. "Where are you?" Said she overslept and didn't hear the doorbell or phone
                "Can you come now?"

"Nope, you have to wait until I'm ready"

"OK, when will that be?"

"45 minutes"

I scarf down a G-Man sub from Mangialardos Deli then head over there.

No heat on a old Weil Mclain VHE model boiler. Needs a $40 part (mercury pilot sensor)from R.E. Michels. No problem, right? Part has been discontinued and no longer availible.

Time for her to make a hard decision. Replace 18 year old boiler for $4,400 or recontrol it to Hot Surface Ignition for $1,200. It's the week after Christmas. I knew her answer before I walked back in there.

Spent the rest of the day picking up and installing ignition control kit.

Sounds fun ! Can I help?

Comment

Woke up at 9 from yesterday's long night, hurting bad, but not bad enough to get breakfast and deposit those checks!

1st call, Delta KS faucet rebuild, easy fix but lost the $50 faster than I did the call. I'm hoping it shows up, eventually.

2nd call, clogged black toilet, hadn't seen a black toilet in years. Opened it up no problems. Told the 1st and 2nd call about high water pressure, both over 100 pounds and both know who to call. Gave a good speech about both.

3rd call, I blindly went out to a call that I didn't get confirmation someone was there and sure enough, nobody home. Called his farmhand 3 times, no answer.

I physically can't pull this pump sitting 8 feet in the ground because this guy's son thought burying everything in a manhole was a good idea. It certainly was not for more reasons than one.

I charged an hour for my visit no matter what, wrote a note on a sticky pad to have the farmhand pull the pump so I can get to it so I can fix it. I cleaned my truck looking for that $50 dollar bill, still nothing.

4th call, toilet reset, went fine and was for my web designer and got the first look at my new letterhead for my plumbing business. It now showcases my 2 other companies at the bottom of the page very professionally and gets that name building started for the successful journey.

I've laced calls for the next couple days, hoping I get calls on new year's eve and day; love that OT money.

Comment

I took off today, But My son Had a Good time traveling today

My Son's Work Day! He Just Would Not Drop The PVC Long Sweep

Have fun watching his day
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

This day started out horrible.

Had a ticked customer that I showed up "later" than they expected last night, couldn't help it.

I get there, meet the farmhand at 12 noon sharp and we start on this submersible pump that we was trying to access, repair through a 12" by 20" opening that served as one of those old time pumps that hand crank.

Pulled it out, it was done in PVC, 1.25" and the end was bowed heavily at the pump. I knew what caused it; HEAT. Too much running of the pump which we later found out they've been using this pump without a bladder for years!

Aside from that, 3 hours roll by with us trying to rope the pump, the piping, the support that was made out of a drywall bucket filled with concrete with a 4" sleeve in the center to keep the pump from leaning left to right.

My helper ran out of options, we had to get permission to pull the heavy 4" concrete poured top to get to the larger opening of this well.

Once we got the top off, after 3.5 hours of fighting it, it all went together smooooooothly.

Never again I say, never again and I wasn't even the hands on guy to this matter! I was the one watching and advising.

This destroyed my timing for my next calls and had to call these next two repeat customers from years ago happy, showing up dirty from the first call that took all damn day.

2nd call was a kitchen sink drain clog; put my pad on the countertop, went top down and 10 minutes later not only did I have to get on my knees but I never hardly worked the drain with the Spartan 81 and banged that clog wide open. Sounded like a Rosie O'Donnel burp when I popped the clog. The guy sat directly across his island sink in his home on a bar stool watching me clear this drain, watching the water go down; didn't even get splattered with the cable. Set both bowls full of water and watched it drop for a good flush.

I have to head over and give him a pressure gauge to test his pressure around 1:30am. Going to see if his PRV is defective as I was having trouble figuring out if the gauge was at 75 or 80.

3rd call was a leaking toilet problem. I adjusted the float ball arm on a Wolverine Brass $35 fill valve that he didn't want replaced with a 400A. He said the last plumber insisted it would last a long time; long time isn't 4 years. I can't get parts for that fill valve, it's proprietary and I won't waste my effing time having to spend $80 just to get a $2 item. F-them.

I checked his pressure as well, it was 80+ pounds and told him to get a pressure gauge and test it off, see if it grows higher at night.

Stopped by HD to get pressure gauges, 1/4 turn straight stops for tomorrow's work, met with the plumbing manager and we are gonna work a saweet! deal on a reset of 48 faucets. Parts and cartridges galore!

Stopped by fo sum chickin fied wice and egg dwop sawpe, picked up the contract a roofer signed his life to and is ripping of my sister, hasn't been back and took over 4 grand.

I'm going to have a whole lot of fun with this as he put start and finish dates on the contract. Life is Good!

Made great money today but too stressful, too risky ticking off repeat customers like that, all because the first call dragged 3 hours too long.

Comment

Answered the phone all Monday morning as it was blowing up like crazy... Went to a weird stoppage at 10 am. Downstairs laundry, sink backing up when they run the upstairs kitchen sink. Old 2" cast-iron line with a bunch of branches added on...no permit, so who knows what kind of whacky layout is on the walls? Another drain company was there three months ago and jetted the line from the kitchen vent. The jetter couldn't make it past a certain spot in the cast-iron under the slab. Well, three months later its backing up again, and I am going to show these customers why I am the best, and the drain can be opened better without no stinkin' jetter!!!
                        I wheel the K-380 upstairs and go through the kitchen drain. I went up the vent 5 times no matter what I tried! Finally I put the drop-head and carefully pushed the cable by hand, after two attempts, I managed to force it down the drain, instead of up the vent. (galvanized tee). I go out about 70 feet using the auto-feed when I hit a really hard stoppage. I just kept augering away at the spot and after a few minutes the inner-core cable popped it! Customer comes running upstairs like a kid on Christmas morning telling me the drains went down. I am guessing it was a large build-up of scale and rust in the cast-iron drain. The jetter-head the previous company used had to start down a 1.5" vent, so it was probably to much of a *****nozzle to break it. Probably all backwashing nozzles, maybe one pathetic forward nozzle. We don't need no stinkin' jetter on this!
                        I inform the customer, "You know that hard spot the previous company couldn't get past? Well I just broke through it!"
                        Pull back the cable using auto-feed, practically zero mess. Wheel it back to the truck in record time...In this situation, the drum was cleaner, faster and more effective than a sectional OR a jetter!
                        Next call is a doozy...customer wants the old threaded gate valve on a 3/4" galvanized service replaced, a broken hose-faucet replaced, and then go upstairs and install 3 stop-valves for the kitchen and install the new disposal and dishwasher he just bought. I inform him that I can do it right now, but it will cost $700+. I am half-expecting him to passout or argue...nope, he says, "OK!"
                        So I start downstairs, I had to cut the gate-valve handle off with a sawzall to get it to spin off the galvanized water service. I put on a female adapter and sweat on a new ballvalve (with my company logo and phone # of course) and hook it up. Then I replaced the freezless hose faucet. I turn the water back on and there is a microscopic drip on the old galvanized threads! So I have to carefully unsweat the new ballvalve and redo the adapter. This time I put a crap-load of teflon tape and dope on the threads and I torqued the crap out of it with a 14" ridgid wrench. Re sweat it together...and test it.....its dry!
                        Go upstairs and finish the kitchen remodel stuff, disposal and dishwasher and stop-vlaves go really easy. Customer gives me a mastercard, swiped and approved...life is good!
                        By now it is around 5 pm, light is going down. I arrive at the next call, previous customer has a piece-o-crap two-handle Price Pfister kitchen faucet the won't shut off. I explain that I can either replace it or order the stems....she says, "lets just replace it!" I bring in the entry-level faucet. Because that is what she asked for. Its a cheap, but decent chrome single-lever with side-spray. Ceramic disc cartridge. I show her the price and and ask her if she would like to see the designer faucet...no this one is nice. Quick sale..put it in fast. Collect. Easy money.
                        Finally driving home in the dark around 6:00 pm, get an emergency call, lady is absolutely freakin' out about a sewer backup. SHe doesn't even ask about price at all. I tell her I can get there in about 2 hours. Then Jerrymac calls and we discussed how drain-cleaning is super-cool and better than all other plumbing, and why I want to do more of it. (long story) I get home and scarf down some quick food, quickly see my wife and baby and explain that my workday is not done.
                        I get to the last call around 8 pm. BIG house overlooking a golf course. Basement is being mopped up. The sewage came out of the laundry drain. I explain how I charge, and explain that I recommend a camera. I wheel the K-7500 into the walk-in basment. Pop the inside cast-iron cleanout and go in with a 3" double-cutter. I am fighting the drain the whole way, but making progress. The 3/4" steel innercore Ridgid cable always amazes me how much torque it can take!!! Damn, it winds up like it going to snap, but then BAM! it rips the roots out like the indestructible Terminator! I finally reach 100 feet and pull it back. I put the seesnake down and see its orangeberg pipe. CH-CHING! I put teh transmitter on and go get the navitrack Scout. I am expecting the sewer line to head towards the street, but can't find a signal. I finally go to the backyard and get a signal. The sewerline is headed towards the golf-course! I pin-point the exact location of the sewer, and the Scout shows it only 2' deep. I quickly confirm it by digging with my shovel and in a few minutes I hit the top of the orangeberg pipe! The accuracy of the navitrack always amazes people. By this time the customer thinks I am some sort of diviner or god.
                        I explain to the customer the situation and give him a price to come back the next day and put in a cleanout and continue from there. I also explain that I will look up the GIS mapping on the Metropolitan Sewage Districts website and find out where the hell his private sewer ties into to the public sewer.
                        I get home around 10:30 pm and look up his property on MSDs mapping site. The public sewer that he ties into is about 600 feet away from his house on the other side of the golf course!!!!

Comment

Next morning: (Tuesday)

I am tired and beat from the previous 14 hour day. I eat breakfast and give my wife a bunch of checks to deposit. I go to the next call, a rich, retired customer with 2 new Cadillacs in the driveway that wants 3 high-end faucets put in, including a showervalve...I was dreading this call as it would take me a long time, but I had already pushed it off weeks ago and didn't want to piss him off by cancelling. I get to his house and he is a mess. Looks like he just got out of bed. He lets me in and goes to the bedroom. He is still in his pajamas and forgot I was coming. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with him when he finally tells me. "There was a death in the family." The guy is crying now, and I can tell by his voice that it was his wife who died but he can't bring himself to say it out loud. I tell him I'm very sorry, when did it happen? "YESTERDAY." He says. He is really crying now and I am feeling really weird standing in his house in my plumbing uniform holding my invoice holder. I tell him I can come back next week or whenever if he needs some space. He says, "that would be great, I hope I didn't ruin your schedule." I head out the door, and warmly hold his hand before leaving, and say, "I wish there was something I could say or do to make you feel better, but I know there isn't" He just thanks me and continues sobbing while I leave.
                          Man, I feel really sorry for him now. It must hurt him so much to have lost his wife yesterday.
                          My day isn't over though.
                          Go to the supply house and pickup a new K-7500 foot-switch that I ordered because the old one is leaking.
                          Finally, I get to the golf-course sewer job. I call MSD and ask them what the policy is when a private sewer crosses a golf-course. He says, "that is between the two parties, we don't get involved." I tell the Homeowner that his private sewer crosses the darn golfcourse and is ornageberg so he is in for some serious financial pain inevitably, but that I will try to get it open.
                          I quickly dig it up and install a 4" combo fitting as a cleanout. I use the k-7500, and chew through the roots. Camera inspection shows the orangeberg is somewhat squashed but overall intact. It goes through his neighbors yard and ties into her line before going across the golf-course. I ask the neighbor if she is having any sewer problems and she says No. But that she has had problems in the past. I couldn't clean the last 15 feet of my customers' branch line with the 100' 3/4" cable, so I use the K-60 with spriral sawcutter and I go out a full 120 feet until I hit the ornageberg tee.
                          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! drain is open. I give a call to my old boss who does trenchless pipe-bursting installs and ask him how much he'd do the job for me if I sell it and subcontract him.
                          I tell the customer that it is open for now, and that I can continue to come out and cable it but that EVENTUALLY AND INEVITABLY the orangeberg sewer will have to be replaced and that the most affordable way to do it is pipe-bursting to avoid his ashpalt driveway and extensive high-end gold course landscaping. Of course this guy almost sh!ts a brick when I tell him the price to do the pipe-burst. He decided that maybe selling his house in the near future might be a better idea! I can't blame him, if I had an orangeberg sewerline crossing a 600' golf-course I would want to move away too! He paid me for the work and I went home. No big sale today.
                          As soon as I get home the phone rings and some lady is flippin out because a pipe is pouring water in her basement and she can't shut the water off.
                          I eat something and go out. I get there and she shows me the water. I turn it off at the street meter. Some moron monkey hack-lord has done one of the most horrendous abominations of a bathroom remodel that have ever seen. The shower-drain has no trap and is piped with hard-turn Pvc pressure 90s...for example! The leak is separate though and is on a 3/8" chrome nipple going to a toilet that has rotted away at the threads since it has been there since 1952! I use an easy-out wrench and back the broken threads out of the brass dropear ell. Install a new 3/8" chrome nipple and stop-valve and supply.
                          The toilet is a 1952 clunker and is running. I offer to fix it or replace it. She scheduled to replace it next week. (sell, sell, sell, baby!) I then ask her who did the plumbing in the bathroom remodel because honeslty it looks like a monkey did it. She wouldn't tell me, because it was probably her ex-huband or neighbor. I explain her how bad it is and that if a contractor did that work, she needs to tell me, because the people ripped her off, and the plumbing is horrendously wrong. asn was obviously done without a licence or permit and I want to report them to the State Board of building inspections. No luck, it was her ex-husband who is an electrician. Figures.
                          I talk again to Jerrymac again about how drain-cleaning si the ebst job on earth, and we talk forever. I get home around 8:30 pm and eat dinner. My 14 week old baby girl is playing with me in my lap. She is laughing and kicking her legs on my belly. She can stand up now on her legs if I support her. Amazing little girl. She is also 'talking' and she has learned a new noise to get mommy and daddy's attention. It is sort of a combination of a laugh and a shrill scream and is really cute. She is like, "HEY, I am HERE!" Adorable.

We put the baby in bed. I had a good talk with the wife. Now I am sitting here typing this sh!t and 2:00 on Wednesday morning. I am tired.

All a day (or two) in the life of Service Guy. Best damn service plumber on the planet. See you at the Ridgid roundup 2009.

Comment

Damn Carl, I wish I had sewer/locating equipment after your mention of the use that expands the job. And I wish I could "quickly dig" like you mentioned.

Never take your health for granted; my job yesterday was testament to how much I've lost in power over just the past 10 years.

Of course, my last day before the holiday started off with being late for my first call. Thought I scheduled 12-2, not 10 to 12 so I'm in a rush from the word go.

This call came in 2 days ago, customer first called in regards to battery backup sump pump along with a primary sump pump replacement. To add to that he wanted the shutoff to the master bath toilet replaced along with the fill valve.

I get there and replace the sump pump with a Zoeller N53 with the adjustable float switch. The last one, a Myers submersible sump pump lasted 20 years! Amazing. Anyway the check valve was defective and there was no hole drilled between the check valve and discharge port.

Once it's done, he appreciates the time I take to nylon strap all the cords into a very neat and orderly manner, just like the pictures he viewed on my website before that initial call. It pays to be consistent.

Head upstairs to the toilet, I tell him about not using those blue 2000 flushes as it tears up everything in the tank. Removed the fill valve which was a mansfield 160, inside of it was shot along with water in the float ball. Put in a 400A along with stainless steel supply line, 1/4 turn shutoff. He asked why I don't dope that connection and explained that it acts more like a ground joint, even though it is compression.

If anything I'll grease the threads with plumber's grease but nothing else. The connection where the compression of that ferrule is the leak, no leak zone and those two surfaces meet flat to prevent a leak, nothing else.

Get that done, he turns the water on and the 2nd floor toilet I just rebuilt fills up in less than 20 seconds. Told him without a doubt that he has excessive water pressure and this was confirmed when I hooked the gauge and read 110psi.

This opens a huge dialogue but no commitment from the customer to correct the problem, and when I brought the bill in I eluded one more time that even if he has to make it a DIY'r project, that high pressure is more important than the repairs made today. I referenced how the recent calls I've had are all related to high water pressure and that is why I'm giving him the logic to educate before being a sales pitch.

That was it for me today; the rest was moving money around between banks finishing some last minute issues before 1st of the year.

Have an interesting call for friday; Get to use my micro-seasnake to look into a jacuzzi control panel that the customer tried to switch the bezels to brass and the entire assembly dropped into the hole down between high end tile and a second floor ceiling NOBODY is going to cut open.

That camera has paid itself off already and it seems from my customers that I've obtained from its use has everything to do with my competition not owning these tools. Thanks RIDGID!!!!

Comment

So far, this idea with this thread is working out as I was expecting. More participation will slowly become the norm but we need more from the other trades to mention their daily activities. This isn't just for plumbers.

This thread should also accomplish a few things in regards to being a stress reliever. Sometimes starting a new thread isn't worth the time but going to a place that catches a certain job or "infraction" as some may call it might be the way to go.

This should also be a great way to indirect build a cash cow of search engine keywording since content is the must have for any website. I'd say RIDGID has more than accomplished this feat but any ideas to further that cause is a good one.

Hopefully this helps others by catching certain work situations and furthers discussion if someone has ran into a similar situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X