Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost a customer today.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Lost a customer today.

    If our economy does not turn around as quickly as we would like, then you may be dealing with a lot more of these types of customers. Are you going to get rid of them all before you do any work? I don't think so, go over this whole experience again when your not so hot and come up with a game plan to help these type of people to see the value of you as an individual. None of us were there but this guy actually wanted to pay you, I think that says something. After this guy is done with his "bargain" plumber, you may never hear any of the cheap stuff again if he calls.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Lost a customer today.

      Thanks for sharing SG.

      Nice to know I'm not the only one who has these experiences.

      This forum is like free therapy for me.

      I prefer the customers who reveal their inability or unwillingness to pay over the phone so I can nip them in the bud. I point them to the $39.95 guy, who I should contact about getting a cut. I'd love to be there when they find out about all the extras and the serious up-selling the 39.95 guy has to add on to make a living.

      Some customers though, will buddy up to you paying for the first visit no problem, but then using their new "friendship" to earn discounts on their next visit.

      I know I'm in trouble when my new found "friend" asks "Is this your business or do you work for a company?"

      Either way I answer, they'll ask me to do it on the side.

      Lenny

      Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

      I know, it doesn't make sense.


      http://www.hebertdraincare.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Lost a customer today.

        Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
        Some customers though, will buddy up to you paying for the first visit no problem, but then using their new "friendship" to earn discounts on their next visit.

        I know I'm in trouble when my new found "friend" asks "Is this your business or do you work for a company?"

        Either way I answer, they'll ask me to do it on the side.
        Hebert, you are very perceptive. That is exactly the situation. We were "friendly" the first call, and he knows I am the owner, so he was looking for "pity points" this time around.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Lost a customer today.

          I just made a new "friend" a while back. The friend paid promptly for the first three or four jobs, so when he needed me to let it slide for a week I thought no big deal. Now my new "friend" owes me close to $2000 with no sign of me getting any money any time soon. All jobs from this point forward are going to be payment in full when services are rendered, or half upfront on larger jobs.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Lost a customer today.

            Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
            If our economy does not turn around as quickly as we would like, then you may be dealing with a lot more of these types of customers. Are you going to get rid of them all before you do any work? I don't think so, go over this whole experience again when your not so hot and come up with a game plan to help these type of people to see the value of you as an individual. None of us were there but this guy actually wanted to pay you, I think that says something. After this guy is done with his "bargain" plumber, you may never hear any of the cheap stuff again if he calls.

            I'm not completely opposed to throwing a 10% off discount here and there but some people will always want more.

            Some will take advantage of the "friendship"

            It's important to recognize these people, and shake'em loose.

            I'm not interested in working for free, and I know better than the customer how much it costs to operate my business.

            Lenny

            Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

            I know, it doesn't make sense.


            http://www.hebertdraincare.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Lost a customer today.

              Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              Mark, I agree. I was just surprised that this guy called me out though. He has used my services before, so he knew what I charged. Why did he call me out then, only to then call someone else?

              Anyway, its over now. I just needed to vent. I really doubt he will save any money. The sewer is extremely difficult access...either cramped bathroom, or snowy roof. Also, it is at least 100 foot long sewer, maybe longer.
              You know, I should drive by tomorrow morning to see who he called and what they do. My other job is in the neighborhood anway. It should be hilarious.
              Do It..Do IT!!!
              You ain't got a hair on your A$$ if you don't

              Makes me feel good to bust in on someone's self centeredness.
              Something about trying to be honest and treating people the best I can that makes me snap when they fail to reciprocate.
              About 8:20 would work for me.
              Do not drive by without a honk and a wave.

              This one sucks.Thank goodness you have so many happy customers to offset this person's attitude.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Lost a customer today.

                What is sometimes missed is the cost to get a client to call you. Especially you guys doing the Yellow Pages or Service Master need to look at what your cost per customer is before you throw the good out with the bad. Things are tough and sometimes we all tighten our belt a little.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Lost a customer today.

                  Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Do It..Do IT!!!
                  You ain't got a hair on your A$$ if you don't

                  Makes me feel good to bust in on someone's self centeredness.
                  Something about trying to be honest and treating people the best I can that makes me snap when they fail to reciprocate.
                  About 8:20 would work for me.
                  Do not drive by without a honk and a wave.

                  This one sucks.Thank goodness you have so many happy customers to offset this person's attitude.
                  Thanks Adam! Seriously, my first job is in the neighborhood, so I will be dropping by to see how its going.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Lost a customer today.

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    What is sometimes missed is the cost to get a client to call you. Especially you guys doing the Yellow Pages or Service Master need to look at what your cost per customer is before you throw the good out with the bad.
                    Mark, that is why I am posting this. I RARELY lose a customer. If it was frequent, I would be posting stuff like this every day. But I when I do, I feel no remorse. There are too many good customers out there for me to worry about the bad ones.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Lost a customer today.

                      Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Thanks Adam! Seriously, my first job is in the neighborhood, so I will be dropping by to see how its going.
                      Let us know what happens.

                      Lenny

                      Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

                      I know, it doesn't make sense.


                      http://www.hebertdraincare.com

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Lost a customer today.

                        About two years ago I get a call from the local chinese restaurant for a mainline backup. I live in a small town and most businesses are very small, this restaurant used to be a house, so the seating area was the living room. They are open for dinner so I'm trying to be discreet. The only access is to pull the toilet, but the toilet is cracked at the base, so I run to the shop and get a new toilet. Pull the toilet, snake the line, reset the toilet, change the angle stop and supply line and clean up. My wife shows up and we have dinner there, and the manager brings me some hot saki and comps the meal (I thought that was very nice). I come the next day with the bill, I give them a great deal and hardly made anything on it. The manager gives the bill to the owner and he has an asiam $hit fit..."aah tu much mony, yu rich man, me no bizness" gives the bill to the manager and has him "uncomp" the meal from the night before and writes me a check for the difference. I get a call about one year later, same blockage, same situation, please come right away. I remind him of what happened last year and tell him I'm going to pass on the job, what he is looking for is a handyman. I told him I wasn't Howie Mandel and this wasn't Deal or No Deal. He begged me to come and promised me no whining about the bill, so I went, did the job, and got paid....no whining this time
                        The Other Rick

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Lost a customer today.

                          Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          You should have seen the basement. Total dump, regardless of the sewage. The whole house was a dump.
                          You know though, that was definitely a factor, the fact that I didn't do the job right there on the spot. But I had a good paying job scheduled already, (which I went to and completed $371) and the fact that he was so whiny about price....well, I wasn't about to work in the dark for him at that point.
                          But the bathroom was VERY tight, and the K-7500 couldn't get there because of rickety stairs, etc. So I would have to pull the nasty toilet, use the K-60 in cramped space, use 100 to 150 feet of cable in this tiny bathroom....it would have been extremely messy and back-breaking. I REALLY didn't want to do it from the toilet. Especially since he called my price EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.
                          The roof would have been less work overall.

                          Now that I think of it...I am actually quite glad he cancelled. The job would have been a real pain.



                          Uh, sounds like a lack of enthusiasm to me.
                          Heck, he said he was very pleased with your work and wanted to pay. No reason to rail on him. They obviously have financial and other issues and maybe he is a cheapskate. But we do know he his old and handicapped and maybe lost most of his retirement recently.
                          And of course, we don't know what price was quoted to him by you or whoever he called.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Lost a customer today.

                            Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                            Uh, sounds like a lack of enthusiasm to me.
                            Yes, did you read my first post?
                            I even bolded it for effect.


                            Why should I show any enthusiasm to work for someone...
                            WHEN THEY SHOW NO ENTHUSIASM TO PAY FOR IT!!!
                            I explained this to him on the phone too. Believe me I have done nasty drain calls in the middle of the night that were worse than this....and I did them happily.
                            The difference is, most customers don't b!tch about the price, so I am enthusiastic. This guy b!tched and cried, so I was not enthusiastic at all.
                            Last edited by Service Guy; 01-21-2009, 01:26 AM.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Lost a customer today.

                              no need to walk away from the original call/ hose bibb and the money.

                              when there is more work that wasn't sch. i try to sneek it in. if it's too much or i'm not interested, i tell them. as long as they call me before it's 5p.m. i don't charge overtime. in fact looking at all my billing from last year, i only charged 36 hours of overtime. i rarely chare o.t. on saturdays.

                              but i would still get paid for the job i did that brought me there.

                              nothing wrong with walking away, i just would have left with some money from the original call

                              rick.
                              phoebe it is

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Lost a customer today.

                                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                no need to walk away from the original call/ hose bibb and the money.

                                when there is more work that wasn't sch. i try to sneek it in. if it's too much or i'm not interested, i tell them. as long as they call me before it's 5p.m. i don't charge overtime. in fact looking at all my billing from last year, i only charged 36 hours of overtime. i rarely chare o.t. on saturdays.

                                but i would still get paid for the job i did that brought me there.

                                nothing wrong with walking away, i just would have left with some money from the original call

                                rick.
                                Good thinking rick, thanks.

                                I just feel that he must be really poor to be so worried about price. And since he decided to call someone else, I consider this a charity call at this point. I am not going to bother sending him a bill. He has my mailing address. He can send money if he really wants to.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X