Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost a customer today.

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Am I the only one surprised he thought it was a good idea to live with crap in his basement until the next day?
    Disgusting as that sounds, either the guy has money and is cheap and stupid, or he doesn't have a lot of money and is trying to save however he can. I know you guys work hard, your time is your money and you need to support yourselves and your families but some customers are having trouble making ends meet and at the same time running into all sorts of plumbing problems. Whenever I had a professional come to my home I always asked upfront what it would cost because money was tight and I didn't want to get in over my head. I was not looking for charity or for folks to lower their price, but I did try to get the most for my money. I'm sure you guys do the same when you are the customer, get quotes, ask questions? That B.S. about not showing enthusiasm would have pissed me off as well, but how can you be sure the guy just could not afford the fee? I don't envy you guys who are self employed, I don't care how much money you make, way too much agravation. Just the thought of busting my butt and either not getting paid or having a customer insult me would push me over the edge. No thanks!

Comment

Anyway, it feels really good to get this off my chest. After he called, I was upset and I took it too personally. I am only human. I am glad to have friends here that I can vent to, and they actually listen and give good response.

You guys are great, and you save me a ton $$$ on psychotherapy bills!
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Previous customer called on Saturday with a broken pipe to an outside faucet. I told him I was extremely busy and couldn't get there until Tuesday which he was fine with. He was also extremely explicit that he didnt want me to come out after hours and charge him extra. (as the first time he called it was late night the day after thanksgiving, for a kitchen cable job and he was charged for a night call.)
        I show up today and easily replace the broken pipe and hose bibb. His wife showed me to the basement to turn the valve back on, and to her surprise there is water everywhere!
        After some diagnosis, I found out the sewer was stopped up and coming up through the floor drains. I notified them and started looking for a cleanout access. There is none. I look outside, in the basement, everywhere. The access to the bathroom is ridiculously narrow and only accesible through rickety stairs, and I inform them that it is going to be very difficult to clean a 100' sewer by pulling the toilet.
        All this guy cares about is price. He thinks my price to do it from the toilet is "EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE." His words. So I tell him I can do it from the roof, but I dont have a big enough ladder with me and I am booked up already until this evening and tomorrow I am available in the late afternoon (remember, he doesn't want to pay for night service, because he is a cheapskate. And this call wasn't supposed to be sewer call as they didn't even know about it until just now.)

So, being that they didn't even KNOW about the sewer until I informed about just now on this call, and the fact that this guy is so insistent on me doing it "cheap". I tell him I'll be back tomorrow with my ladder and charge him my regular rate, no night service charge.
        So I get home and he calls me at my dinnertime, around 8 pm and tells me to , "send him a bill, thanks for your service today, but we got somebody to come tomorrow morning at 8 am."
        I told him, "but I could do the job tomorrow, what is the problem?"
        He says, "well, you just didnt seem to show any enthusiasm to do the job."
        I tell him, "well that is because all you cared about is me doing it "cheap." I explained to you that you have no cleanout access, and the cheapest way was to go from the roof. Also you called me for something else entirely, so I didn't have the time scheduled for the sewer job without going into evening time, which you also didn't want to pay for, so I told you I could do it tomorrow."
        He says, "we were very happy with your service, but don't worry about the sewer, just send us a bill for the other work."
        I told him, "Don't worry about it. If you don't want me to do the sewer, fine , I won't send you a bill for anything."
        "No, no, no, we will pay you for your time.":
        "No, don't worry about it."
        Back and forth we go. Finally he accepted that I am not charging him anything for all the time I spent. So I hung up.
        I didn't charge him because I feel he is a cheapskate a$$hole, and obviously he acts like he is poor as dirt and I no longer want his business in anyway at all.

The point? And this goes for all other cheapskate customers whose main concern is price above all else:
        Why should I show any enthusiasm to work for someone...
        WHEN THEY SHOW NO ENTHUSIASM TO PAY FOR IT!!!

Anyway, I should have never scheduled the call in the first place since he talked so cheap on the phone. I only did it, because he is a previous customer, and he's old and handicapped and I felt sorry for him. Lesson learned. Next time someone is cheap with me on the phone, they are getting no appointment at all. Even previous customers. I can't afford to be running a charity. I CAN afford to turn these cheapskates away, because my services are in high demand and I am absolutely swamped with work.

AHHHH, I feel better now. Venting feels so good. I hope he called my old company Mr.R, because I know what they charge and he is in for a rude awakening when he founds out how much higher they are than me.
        Service,if possible get some money.Discount if you think it is right.But if you take the money(break it into 3 payments if needed) they will use you again.If you do not take the money,some folks think you are overcharging, or too dumb to be paid.So take the money, and gain a repeat customer.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Service, collecting money is the reason you went on your own.Again,be fair and collect the money.Hope,I didn't type to much.
          Kenneth Collier
          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
          Jackson, MS 39206
          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Whenever I had a professional come to my home I always asked upfront what it would cost because money was tight and I didn't want to get in over my head.
            I do the same thing. There are some guys who complain about people asking about prices over the phone; but as a consumer you need to know what you are getting into. It is much better to find out something is too expensive before you've bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
              Service,if possible get some money.Discount if you think it is right.But if you take the money(break it into 3 payments if needed) they will use you again.If you do not take the money,some folks think you are overcharging, or too dumb to be paid.So take the money, and gain a repeat customer.
              Kenneth, you sound like a great guy and smart business man. You know just how he felt and gave great advice. This is a wonderful site with caring folks.

Comment

I RARELY lose a customer. If it was frequent, I would be posting stuff like this every day. But I when I do, I feel no remorse. There are too many good customers out there for me to worry about the bad ones.

You didn't lose this customer, he was never one in the first place.

The first time you saw him he was whining about money, and maybe you were the only guy who would come out. Or, he may have called around and you were cheaper than the first two guys that he called.

Regardless, he had no appreciation/realization of your work or service this time, and decided he was going to shop around. He's probably used to spending two dollars to save one. He should have been embarrassed to have sh!t in his basement and glad that you were there to help him.

Instead, he decided to live with the feces for another night. Now you know how his wife probably feels.

It's unfortunate for him, he needs someone he can call who's dependable and can do the work. But he doesn't want to pay, so he doesn't deserve you.

He's not a "customer", he was just trolling for a deal. Let him live under a bridge with the rest of the trolls.
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

As soon as he started to haggle me down on the drain call, I would of charged for my time, scheduled to come back, collect a check and cash it,

then call back an hour later and tell them I couldn't get to it today, tomorrow is the best I can do.

When he got mad, just tell them that if I'm going to work at a lower rate, you are LAST on the list.

Amazing the silence you'll hear after you make that statement. Can't even hear crickets chirping.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    As soon as he started to haggle me down on the drain call, I would of charged for my time, scheduled to come back, collect a check and cash it,

then call back an hour later and tell them I couldn't get to it today, tomorrow is the best I can do.

When he got mad, just tell them that if I'm going to work at a lower rate, you are LAST on the list.

Amazing the silence you'll hear after you make that statement. Can't even hear crickets chirping.
                    Boy, Dale Carnegie has nothing on you.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Boy, Dale Carnegie has nothing on you.

Mark

I call it,

perserverance!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well, my job this morning was only a 5 minute drive from their house. I had a feeling they called some big franchise from the yellowpages, when he called last night telling me had someone coming at 8 am.
                        I drove by around 9 am to see who it was, knowing that this job would take at least 2 hours, and they would still be there if he agreed to their price.
                        No plumbing truck was in the driveway!
                        I wonder what happened to the 8 am plumber? I bet the price was probably higher than mine and they kicked him off the job, or is it possible they fixed it in under an hour??? No way. I couldn't contain the curiosity any longer so I called them.
                        The wife answered and I said:
                        "Hi, this is carl, I was just calling to check on you and make sure that you have got the sewer fixed."
                        "Oh, well we are working on it right now. Are you sending us a bill?"
                        "No, don't worry about it, it was an easy repair, I was just making sure that you had got the sewer problem resolved."
                        "Yes, we are getting it taken care of, we will call you in the future though."
                        "Ok, bye."

I doubt they will ever call me again. And if they do, my services likely won't be available to them.
                        Maybe the 8 am plumber didn't exist and was a lie? Or maybe my gut-feeling is correct and the company that showed up was too expensive for them also.
                        Either way, I don't really care. I learned my lesson, and next time I won't take it so personally. It is just business afterall, even if it does feel personal sometimes.
                        I went to my other job in the neighborhood, major frozen pipes, ended up being a $900 job. Long day. Tomorrow I have three calls booked, two booked on friday, a $1500 water service booked monday, A $1200 job booked next friday, and I turned away two calls today because I was too busy.
                        Too many good-paying customer to lose sleep over one bad apple here and there.

Comment

I apologize for my insane ranting here. But it really helps me to vent and process things. Thanks for listening, friends.

Comment

I stick by my first reply. Just keep on truckin' with what you can do.

J.C.

Comment

I apologize for my insane ranting here. But it really helps me to vent and process things. Thanks for listening, friends.
                              Good idea to vent here or with the customer and keep your home life as peaceful and happy as possible. No matter how bad your day is, it is always great to get home to those who love you.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                                I do the same thing. There are some guys who complain about people asking about prices over the phone; but as a consumer you need to know what you are getting into. It is much better to find out something is too expensive before you've bought it.
                                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                Whenever I had a professional come to my home I always asked upfront what it would cost because money was tight and I didn't want to get in over my head.

I have no problem with people who ask for a price on the phone, I do the same thing in my life.

The problem comes when some people accept the price over the phone or in person, then complain when it's time to pay, asking for a discount, which I never do. Once I accept the price, I pay. If I agree to do work at a price the customer approved, I don't think it's too much to ask to get paid the price we agreed on after I complete the job!

Some potential new (non-senior) customers ask for a discount on the phone. If a potential new customer starts to haggle on the phone I lose all interest in working for them. I let them know they can call the national "Rooter" franchise for $200+ for a kitchen sink drain (sky's the limit), they can call the $40 (yeah, right, you'll only pay $40) guy in the newspaper, or they can use me. I'm licensed, insured, with 14 years experience, for a price in the middle of the other guys.
                                Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM. Reason: added opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X